It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia's population to grow to 42 million by 2050

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Australia's population to grow to 42 million by 2050

news.com.au

AUSTRALIA'S population will reach 42 million by 2050, six million more than the Federal Government's target, if migration, fertility and life expectancy continue at today's pace.

Modelling by Australia's Centre for Population and Urban Research warned of a doubling of the population in 40 years, which it also claimed would be unsustainable, and significantly outstrips Federal Government targets.

Cities such as Sydney and Melbourne would evolve into mega high rise metropolises on the scale of Hong Kong, with a drastic deterioration in quality of life for its inhabitants, it warned.

[edit on 17/4/2010 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Well 32-36m more people just isn't enough for a country as big as Australia! Let's keep things the way they are and maybe we can hit 42m by 2050 - only 6m higher than the previously projected figure. Who cares about infrastructure, health care and prosperity for the majority of Australians? We want more immigrants! The more the better!

When will this madness end and when will the quality of life for the average Australian be placed before the desire to be the country with the greatest number of immigrants? Mass-Immigration is not the only cause, but it is one of the most significant reasons why we are soon headed for a cataclysmic overpopulation crisis.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

If they make Dubai what it is, in the middle of a desert, I'm sure that you could make a few more super-cities

But, none the less. Immigration is tedious, trust me buddy, I live in California, and we get it bad here.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
Well 32-36m more people just isn't enough for a country as big as Australia! Let's keep things the way they are and maybe we can hit 42m by 2050 - only 6m higher than the previously projected figure. Who cares about infrastructure, health care and prosperity for the majority of Australians? We want more immigrants! The more the better!

It's intolerable. Even in my town there is too much traffic, no parking, no housing in the rental market. The employment in Brisbane is fine but out this way it can get as high as 50% people are already getting pushed out to the suburbs and have to commute into town to get work. It's never ending badly (if at all) planned expansion and we can't sustain it.

Most Australian cities will end up like Detroit rather than Hong Kong.

Mass immigration will have a huge impact on this country and our way of life.

But I'm almost scared to complain. We've got a Minister for population now. And his job is to formulate a population policy for Australia.

What if we complain about the population levels and they decide to start reducing it through limits on children and licensing?

[edit on 17-4-2010 by belial259]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Not possible, there is not enough water in Australia to sustain that many people, and the agriculture and food supply that would have to go along with it.

We are running short of water RIGHT NOW in every Australian state.
The water table is falling, salinity of inland waterways is increasing, and the average rainfall is decreasing too, even though our population is still increasing.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
What is Kevin Rudd going to do? Remember this is an election year in Australia and this issue is one that will need to be addressed very soon. Time is running out for those in power to show some spine and find a solution to this problem.

Don't be afraid to speak out! The vast majority of Australians are warm, friendly people. We appreciate the many hard-working immigrants that are here legally and who love the country. It is just unsustainable for us to allow such large numbers of immigrants to enter the country. Our resources are already being stretched as it is.

This is not about being intolerant, this is about ensuring that the welfare of all Australians already living is made a top priority.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
What is Kevin Rudd going to do?

Kevin Rudd will do the same thing the globalists in Europe and US have done.

We're to be part of an Asian common market and sovereignty will be slowly removed from the equation.

They probably don't care about our well being. Only their agenda.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
I doubt if things are going to change very much.

As it is now there is a quota system for each country, and we only take the very best applicants from each, after very thorough checking.

So it does not matter if you are from Somalia, or California, only a very limited number of people will ever get here from each country.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silver Shadow
Not possible, there is not enough water in Australia to sustain that many people, and the agriculture and food supply that would have to go along with it.

We are running short of water RIGHT NOW in every Australian state.
The water table is falling, salinity of inland waterways is increasing, and the average rainfall is decreasing too, even though our population is still increasing.

A few months ago there was an article in National Geographic concerning the water shortage in Australia. Quite a sad story. Quick showers while standing in pots and buckets to preserve the water for other uses. Farms being laid to waste due to lack of water. Irrigation shut down.

Salty ocean water running into a river, instead of fresh water running into the ocean.

Maybe Australia can begin desalinating ocean water like the Saudis do?

Good luck with immigration controls, Australia. You folks do need to get a handle on this issue. I'm not pointing fingers, my own country needs to get a handle on this, too.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

The World Needs More People!

God Knows How We've Survived This Far Without Them!

IRM :shk:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
Maybe Australia can begin desalinating ocean water like the Saudis do?

Yes, we are building a huge desalination plant in my state right now.
We have had year round water restrictions here for several years, and our water storages are still falling every single year.

drought.melbournewater.com.au...

Doubling the population ?
It ain't going to happen.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

Not to mention that the Dept of Ageing is expecting that the average person of retirement age will live for approximately another 20 years after retirement by 2030. Who's going the pay for that? Better get their thinking caps on real soon... time's a tickin'.

A whole new class of working poor will soon emerge. Standard of living will drop for everyone.

All we need is more drought, floods & fires to show how much pressure the infrastructure is under now, and with no leadership in sight it certainly is worrying.

I would like to see Government Departments and Corporations given incentives to operate from regional centres to encourage development away from the cities. Regional Centres have many benefits amongst the best is affordable housing. Build the infrastructure in places like Dubbo, Tamworth, Toowoomba, etc and the people will come. [yes names plucked purely from the top of my head, but you get the idea]

edit to add sources: www.dadhc.nsw.gov.au...

www.treasurer.gov.au.../2009/056.htm&pageID=&min=wms&Year=&DocType=0

[edit on 17-4-2010 by heffo7]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I don't mind the refugees pouring in, I don't want a cap on immigration...I simply think we "need to figure out this FOOD AIR deal", before we go own loving our human selves to death by replicating ceaselessly. I for one, loathe large crowds, cities and the like. Sadly I'm stuck in Sydney while I write this.

I'm really tired of the reports "oh noes! Australia hasn't got enough babies, we're going to have a population collapse" one year, and now "population EXPLOSION within decades" rubbish. There are too many of us on the planet, period. I don't wish death or displacement upon ANYBODY NO MATTER THEIR RACE, CREED, etc...but we are sincerely over-populated. Like those above mentioned, in this country we simply will not have enough water to live on as things stand. Can we not just quit the rutting for a day or two...

...I like rural and coastal Australia as they are. These numbers upset me

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
For all the Aussies reading this that are concerned about this issue, you should visit The Stable Population Party and join as a member. They need 500 members to register as a political party, hopefully in time for the next election.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Lets terraform the desert with desalinated water and solve rising sea levels at the same time.

We got the technology to build super cities from scratch.

Do you have any idea how much money Australia would have if it nationalised its mineral resources?!?! Instead of farming them out to American, Brittish and Chinese companies and getting pennies in exchange.

We'd be able to invest in intelligent forward thinking projects at the drop of a hat.

Let em all in, teach them to read and write english, and "australian-culture" and set em to work in the desert.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Snappahead
For all the Aussies reading this that are concerned about this issue, you should visit The Stable Population Party and join as a member. They need 500 members to register as a political party, hopefully in time for the next election.

Stuff that - vote Greens.

Stable Population Party - what are they gonna do? Lobby for a naval blockade and forced sterilizations of foreigners?

Vote Greens.

[edit on 17/4/10 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Most countries will increase their population why would australia be any different ,its only another 15 million i think its about 26 mill now. The secrets out how good it is here.People who are here already dont want much more but if you were a refugee clinging for life ina rusty floating hulk escaping poverty and conflict wouldnt you want the door open when you arrived.Its only busy in the major cities , As for water shortages every house, building ,hotel , factory whatever should have water tanks so each person looks after and collects their own water, dont rely on the gov to give you water.Treat it as gold its the only thing you need if TSHTF.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
People are just going to learn to have to adapt to higher populations. It's not like the population of the planet is going to decline anytime soon. In 50 years there will be a few billion more people, and in 100 years, a few billion more. We'll just have to learn to use our resources better and adapt. The planet only has 7 billion people on the planet, it should be capable of supporting triple that.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Japan seems to have a stable population, declining if anything. It's an island like Australia and even closer to the large population centre of China than Australia... although closer in size to the UK. How do they manage to do this? Perhaps it would be a good idea to learn from them when it comes to immigration control.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by 4ortunate1]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
what about water ? - many areas [ esp urban centres ] are already adversley affected by dought conditions - barring massive new aquifer finds , major new technologies or investment in desalination / iceberg harvesting - isnt australia going to have a water crisis if these pupulation forcasts pan out ?

<<   2  3 >>

join