It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arizona to allow concealed weapons without permit

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Arizona to allow concealed weapons without permit

news.yahoo.com

PHOENIX – Favoring the constitutional right to bear arms over others' concerns about gun safety, Gov. Jan Brewer on Friday signed into law a bill making Arizona the third state allowing people to carry a concealed weapon without requiring a permit.

The measure takes effect 90 days after the current legislative session ends, which likely puts the effective date in July or August.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I personally feel this is a step in the right direction. There's around 160k in Arizona right now that have CCW, & I doubt that the number of people actively walking around with a concealed weapon will go up that much, maybe a few ten thousand.

As to the concern some have over people in 'stressful situations' hitting innocent bystanders, I doubt there will be that many people around if the need to use a weapon comes up. Criminals usually try to catch you when you're by yourself.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
No doubt, this is a step in the right direction. After all the whole point of a concealed weapon is for nobody to know you have one. With this there will be no record for anybody to see who has what.

Good job Arizona.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
If I lived in one of the towns close to the border I would defintely take up the option. I have no desire to shoot anyone but if someone were to leave you no choice....

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I dont know if this is common knowledge, but you could already carry a weapon in Az, it just had to be openly visible. I dont believe this law will change much in respect to who actually carries firearms. If anything, I think this will actually lower crime rates since the criminals wont be able to tell how many more people will be packing.

I have been in line at a banks atm with guys who have a gun on their hip. I actually felt safer! its not the guy who carries openly who scare me. And the criminals dont care what the laws are, they will still carry.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Unbelievable!

Bravo!

Arizona, here we come! Hope you've got room for the rest of us...well my friends, my wife, and her cats, that is. lol.

Just one thing: I hope there's some ammo left when we get there?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
And with that, Arizona joins Alaska and Vermont as the crime capitals of the U.S.

(Yes, I'm being sarcastic)

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Destiny Of Souls

Arizona has a relatively high rate of violent crime probably related to border issues. Everyone in AZ including law enforcement wants solutions to violent crime and citizens carrying, are a tremendous aid to crime solution. The bad guys fear an armed citizenry. Washington DC, is the best example of how taking guns from the citizens leads to tremendous increase in crime.

Arizona law enforcement at first opposed this legislation on the basis that when they nabbed a suspect the only way to tell if he was a bad guy was if he didn't have a concealed carry permit. They changed their minds, however, probably due to the increasing Mexican border violence. Or the realization that "An armed citizenry is a polite citizenry"

Alaska dropped its CCP requirement and has since seen a decrease in crime.
Anchorage crime rate down

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:01 AM
link   
This is a good step for Arizona for battling the increase in crime(and we all know where it is coming from).

Now what I am wondering is what my friend are going to say who have the CCWs, did they do the class and pay the money for nothing? or will they get reimbursed?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I wish my own state would do this, and that Texas would do this.

Either way I agree it's a step in the right direction. Congratulations citizens of Arizona!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

New Hampshire, the Live Free or Die state, also has some reasonable firearm laws. Open carry for everyone except felons, CCW with a $10 permit from your city/town/PD (varies).

Now our neighbors to the south, Massachusetts residents, are not so lucky.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Yeah vermont has open carry, but I am unsure of the concealed carry laws. Crime here is pretty much unheard of in most parts and probably considerably less than most other places in our worst places lol.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by A-E-I-Owned-You]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Well, the wild west has very edgy people, and i believe in the right to carry but concealed?

One little traffic jam downtown Phoenix ought to do it.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Well, if there were a little traffic jam, what difference would it make if one or both drivers were carrying open or concealed?

Whether you know it or not, there are CCW's all around you, every day.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Zona

youd be surprised how many people feel the same way.

if somebody had tryed to rob or rape you, dude in line probably would have pulled out his jammy and blasted him. because believe it or not most folks are decent poeple

[edit on 17-4-2010 by LurkerMan]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zona
I dont know if this is common knowledge, but you could already carry a weapon in Az, it just had to be openly visible. I dont believe this law will change much in respect to who actually carries firearms. If anything, I think this will actually lower crime rates since the criminals wont be able to tell how many more people will be packing.

I have been in line at a banks atm with guys who have a gun on their hip. I actually felt safer! its not the guy who carries openly who scare me. And the criminals dont care what the laws are, they will still carry.

Very well put. I don't think anyone could have said it better.

Remember, the equal protection cluase in ALL the States and federal Constitutions, if it applies to the people in Arizona it applies to everyone nation wide. That is a fact. The gubberment doesn't want you to know that!!! Sovereign inalienable rights!!!

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Unless I'm Miss Taken, It's only Illegal to carry a concealed weapen.

To me, the thought of this just mind boggling.
Imagine a state where every School Marm ,Kid, Bartender, Patron is walking
around with a Gun strapped to thier side. It's just maddness.
Paranoid and scared of shadows is putting it lightly.

And what about carrying a Machete, as long as it's in a Scabbard.

You haven't kept your freedom, youv'e lost it. Your safe and free when you
can walk down to the local shop without wearing a Gun.

Ironically, the US Military had tried to remove guns from the Iraq Civilian
population in order to stem the tide of violence.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

there was one more piece of the puzzle you needed to add to your story...
this headline.

State must organize to fight cross-border crime

In the "East Vally Trib" a local newspaper there were renewed calls to arm yourself and take back their state.

State Sen. Russell Pearce (R-Mesa) wants to force local police to arrest suspected illegal aliens. State Sen. Al Melvin (R-Tucson) reportedly wants a state-funded armed volunteer security force deployed on the border.

Full story here

I wouldn't mind joining a state funded armed security force... I got the guns so all I need from the state is food and ammo... oh and floppy hat so I don't sunburn my bald spot

[edit on 17-4-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic_al

Unless I'm Miss Taken, It's only Illegal to carry a concealed weapen.

And what about carrying a Machete, as long as it's in a Scabbard.

You haven't kept your freedom, youv'e lost it. Your safe and free when you
can walk down to the local shop without wearing a Gun.

Ironically, the US Military had tried to remove guns from the Iraq Civilian
population in order to stem the tide of violence.

Your logic is a bit fuzzy. You are quite right, you shouldn't carry a gun.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic_al

That's just a ridiculous statement....
It shows that you know nothing about the subject and are spouting your beliefs on an issue you know nothing about!

Kids can not carry guns.... you have to be 21 to own a handgun and 18 for a long gun. (that's a shotgun or rifle for people like you that know nothing about firearms)
A School teacher can't carry a firearm on school property..
As for a bartender? Why shouldn't a person be able to carry and protect their own business? I guess in your demented way of thinking you believe when a person has too much to drink. instead of a bartender just cutting them off they will just shoot them????

I don't know where you are from or your background but I pity you if the people where you live are too ignorant, scared and un-educated enough to even protect themselves.

If people you know are too un-trustworthy & ignorant to be trusted with the means to protect their own lives and property then it's a sad affair.

I would suggest moving to a better place but somehow I feel you are right at home there surrounded by your peers.....

I carry a .44 Special everywhere I go and am not "scared of shadows & paranoid" every. On the contrary if a criminal decides to prey on my family I feel VERY secure knowing it will not happen.

People that do not take precautions to protect their loved ones are the cowards in my book.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by mwood]

[edit on 17-4-2010 by mwood]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join