It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico Safer Than the U.S.A?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Not sure if many read the data in the OP.

They compare the lowest homicide rate tourist area in Mexico with the worst homicide rates of the worst cities in the US.

The comparison is true, and it is useful for selling real estate in tourist areas in Mexico.

But nothing to get knickers in a twist over.

The US and Mexico together are not all that safe., compared with countries with higher standards of living. But homicide rates are only one measure of 'safety'.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
It may "appear" to be safer should you be a paying tourist in a tourist zone. A lot of time, effort, money goes into making sure those industries/areas are supported. Even so, not sure I'd want to be on the west side of the country right now... Caribbean side seems better idea.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by LadySkadi]

I'm living in Mexico right now, where? well nothing less than Michoacan, the state where the headquarters of the "Michoacan family" are located, and i haven't seen, ever, anything like that, things happen here, people get killed, how many people get killed every day in L.A? how many do you see on the news? this is just about the media talking about it, or not talking about it, i'm here, i'm not looking at the tv or newspaper and wondering, I'm seeing the real thing, a couple days ago someone was killed by a swat-like commando, guess why, that dude was doing tattoos, but also was selling drugs, he got 'cleaned up', as they say, actually, the real issue here is, those who sell drugs and do illegal stuff, get 'recycled', those who do their daily work and don't mess with illegal stuff, nobody bother's them, yes, there are those who do sell drugs, under permission or working for the 'family', but this results in less dealers than what could be if nobody were controlling, this is a bad solution, i know, but things are actually better than before here, everybody knows that if you live a clean life, nobody will mess with you, and the laws are very clear, no women, no child, don't do anything dumb like selling drugs, become a hitman or do anything illegal, and you can go as you like in like, i know for real this is the daily life here.

There's the 'mara salvatrucha', they don't mess with Michoacan, why? because here they are not allowed to enter, this state is clean, everything is controlled here, and i don't go into that scene, but i do know because of several friends who are inside, things are never, EVER, like the media will tell you, here, in the US, in Europe, or anywhere you can go, only after seeing things by yourself, will you be able to get a real perspective of things.

Wish i could say more, but no need, everyone can look for themselves or get their mind made up from whatever they read or hear, i am not the one to come and tell you what to think.

Whatever, but you are being mislead about what really is going on here, Juarez is a battle zone, because that's the entry point where the drugs go into the US, everywhere else, nothing goes wrong, except for the daily stuff, as in every other city, including the US.

Another day, another life.. who said that?

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by intrinsic

This doesn't surprise me at all. Heck the drug cartels leave you alone, unless you mess with them. All this BS about how they run Mexico. I don't buy it. It may be true if you live near the border where they need to gain acess to the US, but for the most part, I believe right now it is safer there than here.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by tylermbell
reply to post by intrinsic

ehh i don't know about that. i see a videos almost weekly of people getting brutally murdered in mexico, recent videos.

if the videos weren't so bad i'd link about 5 recent decapitations (one with 7 heads, no bodies), and i wouldn't even have to look for them. mexico is much more intense than the states. we might rob you at gun point, but we usually won't walk up to somebody, stab them 5 to 20 times THAN loot the body.

That's because we hear about it more than what goes on in the states, the media doesn't tell 2/3rds of what is going on here, and Also I never heard of pedophiles taking and raping and killing six year olds as they do here. But, I guess it all depends on your point of view, it may be safer for adults here in the US but I thik it's safe to say it's far safer in Mexico for children...either side can spin it their way. I;ve seen stuff wouldn't beleive happen in the states that never even makes the news, really. We don't mind showing another country's faults, but when it comes to ours, we're ver adept at covering stuff up.

[edit on 17-4-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

Great info. thanks for taking the time to write it up. I do understand that there are problems, just as there are everywhere and that it doesn't comprise the totality of the country. In fact, the last time I was down there - I had a fabulous time and really didn't want to leave. I hope that there is a solution to the issues that both countries are dealing with - the people on both sides of the border deserve to live their lives in peace.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

you can downplay this all you want.

but i and everybody else,i just watched a video of about 30 armed men storm a place, while the police sat back and filmed it from their little compound.

please name 1 place in the US, canada, or UK, where this would also go down?

it doesnt happen. only in mexico.

and you more or less just confirmed to everybody that it IS dangerous,but YOU just have some special safety pass because your not a drug dealer.

well i got news for you, its not only "other dealers" who get in the way.

its police...military...government...and civilians. sure your area might be ok(by your own standards) but what about the whole towns packing up and coming across seeking refugee-like asylum here because the government wont do anything about it over there? now were having to issue emergency visa's because mexico is already overthrown and nobody wants to admit it.

im tired of all these poeple from thousands of miles away telling me i dont have anything to worry about.

tell the rancher who just got killed theres nothing to worry about.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

Might want to add there are reports that cartels are collecting the names of wealthy Americans who visit Mexican resorts... ever write your name and home address on a guest register... their taking those registers now

Want to make a guess what they plan to do with all those names?
Don't be all the surprised if you get a very rude 3am wake-up even if you live a thousand miles away from the border, and all you did wrong was visit

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join