It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To the biblical god, 1000 years equals 1 day?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
You see the verse quoted many times that 1000 years to us is like 1 day to the biblical god. It is quoted sometimes for the days of creation, and sometimes it's used to show that Adam died within the correct timeframe in god's time.

Doesn't this verse simply mean that god isn't affected by time? Couldn't it have very well said that 1,000,000 years to us is like 1 day to god, or 1 second to god is like 1 day to us? Or is it a literal time frame that 1000 years to us is 1 day to god?

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
You still would think when jesus/yahweh talked to simple people of that time, he'd of take this time perspective into account?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
>

New International Version (©1984)
But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

New Living Translation (©2007)
But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends: A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day.

English Standard Version (©2001)
But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
But do not let this one fact escape your notice, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like one day.

International Standard Version (©2008)
Don't forget this fact, dear friends: With the Lord a single day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a single day.

Could be mean that time is of no importence in God's eyes, or when you are with God..

Like when you think about the 6 days of creation right, if you convert them to human time if you whish, you get 6000 years, and 1 day of rest, 1000 year kingship of the Lord.

i think there are two types of Gods in there, you have God and Lord God ? Yes, God said Let the last day be of rest, yet Lord God had people working.. I might be wrong here too, Im not reading the Bible, never have.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Well, I don't believe in anything like this anyway. But I like to make one comment though.
Imagine hearing all the prayers prayed during a
thousand years period under one day? Ouch!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

A lot of people have different view points on how long a day to God is. Some believe 1000 years or even longer. Many Christians say the world is younger then 6000 years of age. If God is real and he did create us. Then the World is much older then we can think of.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Sometimes at 2:30 in the AM when you can't sleep, while reading threads 1 hour seems like 1,000 years.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Christians are so slow when it comes to understanding the "7 days"...

j/k

I this will shed some light:

TUTORIAL

Each underworld is a cycle of Time. Each cycle is made up of smaller units of Time. These are often called the “13 heavens.” Carl Johan Calleman calls them the 7 “days and nights”. Each underworld phenomenon passes through these cyclic phases.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Raud]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
"like" is not the same as "equal to" ...

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Doesn't this verse simply mean that god isn't affected by time? Couldn't it have very well said that 1,000,000 years to us is like 1 day to god, or 1 second to god is like 1 day to us?

Thoughts?

Now, on this one, I actually agree with you. Surely this is precisely what the writer was trying to say.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   

where in your book does it say that?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by trueblue

where in your book does it say that?

Where in my book does it say what? Are you talking about the 1000 years is like one day to god thing?

Someone posted the verse from the bible which was 2 Peter 3:8.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   

sorry do you mean one thousand years or one million years?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller
"like" is not the same as "equal to" ...

Thanks for the correction.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   

sorry do you mean one thousand years or one million years?

Did you read the first post I made and understand what I was asking?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raud
Christians are so slow when it comes to understanding the "7 days"...

j/k

I this will shed some light:

TUTORIAL

Each underworld is a cycle of Time. Each cycle is made up of smaller units of Time. These are often called the “13 heavens.” Carl Johan Calleman calls them the 7 “days and nights”. Each underworld phenomenon passes through these cyclic phases.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Raud]

Last time period starts October 28th 2011 .
Gwahaha.. Or not..

Mod Edit: Corrected quote tag.

[edit on 4/15/2010 by maria_stardust]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

yer sorry had a few beers this arvo
where you born in to the religion or did you chose it after researching all of them?
some one said earth is 6 thousand years old I thought it was 4.5 billion years old?
Who made God?
Why did God make vicious dinosaurs before humans?

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   

yer sorry had a few beers this arvo
where you born in to the religion or did you chose it after researching all of them?

I was raised in a christian family, and lived as a christian for about 22 years or so. I'm atheist now.

some one said earth is 6 thousand years old I thought it was 4.5 billion years old?
Lot's of people say that. They're called young earth creationists. If scientists are correct, the earth is around 4.5 billion years old..

Who made God?
WHich one? Doesn't matter because I don't know the answer to any of them.

Why did God make vicious dinosaurs before humans?

Don't know if a god did any such thing.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
The word "day" is used to represent a lot of different lengths of time throughout The Bible. I doubt God is very concerned with how humans quantify the passage of time. Would it really make a difference to Him whether "one second" equaled the length of time it takes to say "One Mississippi", or whether it equaled the time it takes to say "I am the walrus, ku gu ga ju"?

TheAssoc.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate
The word "day" is used to represent a lot of different lengths of time throughout The Bible. I doubt God is very concerned with how humans quantify the passage of time.

Thanks for bringing that up. God told Adam and Eve that if they ate of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil that they would die that day. They ate from that tree and did NOT die that same day. They did however die 900 years or so later. That's when people say, "To god 1 day is like a 1000 years to us, so it falls within the correct timeframe."

[edit on 15-4-2010 by Hydroman]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Doesn't this verse simply mean that god isn't affected by time? Couldn't it have very well said that 1,000,000 years to us is like 1 day to god, or 1 second to god is like 1 day to us? Or is it a literal time frame that 1000 years to us is 1 day to god?

Thoughts?

i dont think there is such a thing as time in heaven because it's infinite. time only exist's on this prison planet to torture us lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join