It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay outrage over cardinal's child abuse comment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Gay outrage over cardinal's child abuse comment

www.cnn.com

London, England (CNN) -- Gay rights groups have expressed outrage over comments made by a senior Vatican official linking homosexuality to child abuse.

Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, who also serves as the Vatican's Secretary of State, made the comment during a news conference while on an official visit to Chile.

"Many psychologists, many psychiatrists have demonstrated that there is no relationship between celibacy and pedophilia but many others have demonstrated, I was told recently, that there is a relationship between homosexuality and pedophilia," he said.

Tony Green of the London
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Of course we're appalled by it but not shocked -- people like this are bound to say this. It's a bit like comparing attacks on the Catholic Church to the Holocaust and all that. It is desperate people trying to come out with desperate answers," he said.

IMO, one of the best quotes ever.

I'm amazed that they would use a scandal such as this to pursue hatefull rhetoric against gays and other groups that don't meet the "Norm" of the church.

Thoughts ATS?

Edit To Add: I just noticed that the title is quite amusing. Gay Outrage....haha, sounds like "we are outraged...but REALLY happy about it..".

~Keeper

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 4/14/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The Catholic church believes that being gay is a sin. Many other religions believe the same thing. No amount of outrage from the gay community will change that. It pointless because they don't care what the sinner gays think.

I'm not defending church, that's just how it is.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I am just waiting for some cardinal to say, "What the media is doing to the Church is like what the slave traders did to Black people."

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I guess I should be angered, but I can't seem to get worked up over anti-gay rhetoric spewing from a man wearing a dress.

If the priesthood's full of fairies, it's the clothes that brung 'em.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

They are trying to deflect hate and blame away from their establishment to an easy target, yet again gay people.

My mind boggles that they can come out with such trash. Sadly people will believe this.

Most cases of sexual abuse are against girls by adult men.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Tykonos]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erasurehead
The Catholic church believes that being gay is a sin. Many other religions believe the same thing. No amount of outrage from the gay community will change that. It pointless because they don't care what the sinner gays think.

I'm not defending church, that's just how it is.

I agree with you, this will change nothing.

I'm kind of relieved the media didn't protray the gay community in a negative light though. It's nice to see them actually being critical of the church.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I myself am a Christian... and i am deeply offended by the catholic churches stance on this...

They are giving religious people a bad name... the issue of child abuse in the Catholic Church is massive... Do they honestly think they can just point in another direction and shout "over there" while they sneak out the side door???

Pathetic!!

If they wish to salvage any form of respectability from this mess then they need to face the cold hard truth head on... take responsibility... and deal with it!!!!

Not go pointing their grubby little fingers at others!!

“Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye”

S+F

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Just a few observations.
If male priests are molesting female children it's Hetero, correct?
If male priests are molesting male children it's Homo, correct?
If male priests are molesting children it Pedo, correct?
So the majority of cases are HomoPedo, correct?
Which of the above are actually criminal and sick?
Pedo, once again, correct?
So here we have, adult males, exclusively by church design, celibate and chaste in vow, breaking the vow in the most disgusting way and theyre looking to assign blame and split hairs rather than address the issue of some twisted unnatural vow, built into some sick and twisted dogma?
I dont know, I'm not the smartest person in the world but I think if they had the thumbs up to snuggle up to the the "ADULT" genetalia of their choice, maybe, just maybe this would reduce itself in occurence?

Suffer not the children?
Pretty lame.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
i looked through some statistics....and i believe around 40% of all abused boys are abused through homosexual acts.

does this mean that 40% of all sexual abusers are homosexual? i dont know. but if thats the case....thats a really high number for a group of only 5-10% of the population(lower since lesbians dont count lol)

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by DEMONcrats

Yes but it also about 90% of child abusers are Men!!!

Should we demonise all men?

Statistics alone can often be misconstrued for an agenda... beware not to fall into the trap!!

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DEMONcrats

Take the Catholic church out of that equation and it becomes what? 10%?

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Nutter]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Although I'm sure the Cardinal actually can find some researchers who would back up his claim, I think most serious experts on the subject disagree.

For one thing, not all child abusers fit the actual definition of pedophilia. And since pedophilia refers specifically to pre-pubescent children, not every case of child abuse is pedophilia. Also, some researchers feel that true pedophiles have no sexual orientation; that is, they are attracted to neither men nor women, but rather, to children, often of both genders. Also, it can be just as common to find a male child abuser whose victims are male, who is otherwise attracted to women and would be considered heterosexual.

Here's one link for a little further reading.
Some Facts about Homosexuality and Child Molestation

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
The Catholic church would be great without the priests.

2,000 years of magnificently intricate theology and philosophy besmirched by a recent (or perhaps not-so-recent) crop of perverted criminals.

It's enough to make one want to nail ninety-something theses to a cathedral door...

new topics

top topics

join