It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate bill would prohibit carry-on bag fee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
msnbc

Well now that HCR is out of the way we can concentrate on the more pressing issues of the US Economy being in the crapper and the Job Situation, right? No. Democrats Ben Cardin and Mary Landrieu sponsored a bill to prevent the floodgates from opening on other airlines following Spirit Airlines' example of charging for carry-on luggage.

How about this guys: Do the job of fixing the mess this nation is in and that we are paying you $174,000 per year each and let the airlines that are stupid enough to charge a fee that patrons can avoid by using a different carrier collapse under their own mismanagement. And when they come hat in hand and ask for a bailout, inform them that they were to stupid to succeed.

Problem solved, no knee-jerk reactionary legislation to debate, no back room deals to negotiate for votes and most importantly the docket is cleared for more pressing issues, like doing something before the people do something.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If I were an airline I'd charge the same way they charge for cargo. By the pound.

Kids would be nearly free. Morbidly obese freaks would fund the entire operation.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well that is just too simple of a solution for any corporation to implement.

And it would be too fair...then they can't really try to screw people or compete with others.

I think it is a great idea...but the airlines won't.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Do we really need the government to tell us this is a bad idea? Does the government think we are stupid? (No comment)

If this passes, all that will happen is the actual plane ticket price will increase.

Governement.....if you want to help the people that fly....how about reducing or abolishing the taxes and fees that we have to pay when we fly?

Just curious....what percentage of a plane ticket goes straight to the government in taxes and fees?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

I agree in principle except for the assertion that ticket prices wil lincrease.
I think the OP is correct, business goes elsewhere, that airlines goes down and the market expectations adjust accordingly.

gj

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I hate paying fees for checked luggage. That is why I fly Southwest Airlines. If you dislike these fees, fly Southwest (if practical). If you don't mind the fees fly another airline. A law should not be passed banning fees because, as others have pointed out, the airlines can just increase ticket prices.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I agree with the above poster. I have changed my flying habits in ways where I used to search constantly for the best available fare over multiple sites with multiple stops. No I just use Southwest airlines, the way airlines used to be.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by prionace glauca]

top topics

join