It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reports of a crack in a dam in China after 6.9 quake...Three Gorges Dam?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   
BBC RADIO ON, REPORTING FROM CHINESE CENTRAL TELEVISION A CRACK HAS APPEARED IN A DAM FOR A MAJOR RESOVOIR THERE

Can someone confirm this? Apparently Three Gorges Dam has a crack after the 6.9 quake of today.
If collapsing could threaten Millions. There is a famous prophecy that gives June 15 2010 as the date of the collapse.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Zagari]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
That could be especially bad, considering the primitive state of building construction in China, outside of their few big cities. Where is this dam? China has some really long rivers.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Zagari

Holy crap Batman!!!!!!
If this is three gorges this is huge news and this thread will have a thousand posts in it. I hope for the people that live there it is not.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Wow, if this is true .... China has serious problems.

Review this thread from Questionall. It has some really good info and research on 3 Gorges:
3 Gorges

Nice find, I will be keeping an eye on this one.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I'm reading a BBC news article:

" Many people have fled to the surrounding mountains, amid fears that a nearby dam could burst.

State media reported that officials were trying to drain a reservoir after a crack appeared in the dam. "

" spokesman for the local government, Zhuo Huaxia, told China's state news agency Xinhua: "The streets in Jiegu are thronged with panic ".

THe earthquake happened ( maybe ) near the dam Gorges.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
So is this somewhat of a big deal or what? I would really like to know personally... Sounds pretty major to me.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Pretty Major? MILLIONS of people live just around that dam...MILLONS could die from a collapse of this dam.

WOW...Over 360 million people live within the watershed of the Yangtze River. If the one in one thousand chance of a dam collapse occured, the millions of people who live downstream would be endangered.

The dam is built to withstand earthquakes up to 7.0 on the richter scale, and the largest recent earthquakes have been below 6.0. However, filling the reservoir behind the dam creates seismic pressure which triggers earthquakes. In fact, earthquakes between 6.0 and 6.5 are expected once the reservoir is filled in 2009. One of the dams designed to hold back sedimentation farther up is subject to even worse seismic problems. "

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I register my dreams and given that Three Gorges Dam could cause a mega tsunami if collapsing, I think its time to say that from September 7 2009 to October 25 2009 I had dreams of mega-tsunamis...

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
www.mysinchew.com...

www.google.com...

Reporting extensive damage INCLUDING crack in a dam.

Correction: MULTIPLE cracks in a dam

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Highly unlikely that it is the Three Gorges dam.

It's over 1000kms away.

[edit on 14/4/10 by Chadwickus]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Maybe the Chinese could find a better use now for the warships and subs off the coast of Japan.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I've run an extensive search via my vast resources and unfortunately there hasn't been any reports from anyone regarding damage to the 3 rivers gorge dam, just reports stating that there was no damage.

There were reports, however, of a 2008 earthquake triggered (according to some experts) by the dam itself that cause minort damage to the dam apparatus, which it is then reported that China swarmed the dam with army engineers that repaired the dam.

Sorry, I did not find any articles that were recent ones on damage to the dam, and if I can't find them, they didn't report it.

What you were probably watching was a report on the damage done in 2008, and they were speculating damage to it now in light of the recent 6.9 quake.

both articles posted state "cracks in a dam"... not 3 gorges damn. The "dam" they were referring to most likely a retaining wall supporting Guanting Resevoir

[edit on 14-4-2010 by DarkspARCS]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
BBC reporting on 12th April 2002 that there are "cracks" in the 3 Gorges dam.. and they would be repaired..

BBC linky

The cracks measure a maximum 1.25 millimetres across and 2.5 metres deep, according to China Daily.

I guess this may not be linked to any new seismic activity but might be the 2002 cracks have again appeared.. or someone rehashing that story..

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
post not relevant

oops.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by pazcat]

[edit on 14-4-2010 by pazcat]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
the report on BBC states "a dam" not the 3 Gorges Dam specifically.

No reports seem to connect them and they're a fair distance apart.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

You have posted a story from 2008. I agree in doubting it is 3 gorges - too far away, but who knows

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
It is not 3 gorges dam.

It is only 5 km away from Dujiangyan and is called Zipingku Dam . In short not the same dam.

The state-run news agency Xinhua said that 2,000 troops had been sent to work on the Zipingku Dam in Sichuan province.

Speaking from Dujiangyan, Sky's China correspondent Peter Sharp said many local people seemed unaware of the threat.

news.sky.com...

Thank you for the clarification.

I was seriously holding my breath while reading through this thread, just waiting on an answer.

That Three Gorges Dam, is a massive disaster waiting to happen. Very relieved it is ok for now though

[edit on 14-4-2010 by srsen]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by WWJFKD
reply to post by pazcat

You have posted a story from 2008. I agree in doubting it is 3 gorges - too far away, but who knows

Damn.

Can someone please find out - it was concerning me that they kept saying 'a dam', instead of being specific.

Anyway, will watch thread closely till an answer is actually found.

[edit on 14-4-2010 by srsen]

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
lol, disregard my post. Its an old story.

Apologies.

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
1. There is more than one dam in China.
2. Three Gorges is 1350 kilometers from the earthquake, some are far closer to the epicenter than Three Gorges.
3. Three Gorges is designed for a 6.5 magnitude earthquake 17 kilometers away, not 6.9 1350 kilometers away. Earthquake intensity goes down quickly with distance (exponentially).

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join