It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese Ship Brings Instant Death to Great Barrier Reef

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Chairman: Ship's paint brings instant death to Great Barrier Reef

The Chinese coal ship that ran on to Australia’s Great Barrier Reef last week has damaged a two-mile (three kilometer) stretch of the World Heritage Area that could take years to repair, the chairman of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority said Tuesday.

Australian authorities have said the coal carrier was more than 17 miles off course when it ran aground on Douglas Shoal on April 4. The ship was refloated Tuesday and towed to a safe anchorage off the reef.

The ship leaked some oil when it hit the reef, but authorities said dispersants used had kept damage from any oil slick to a minimum

The ship scrapped along a 2 mile stretch of the Reef, leaving behind anti-fouling paint.. the paint kills barnacles (reef) .. I know 2 miles of this massive reef isn't considered a catastrophe.. but it's still very sad to see yet another case of disregard to the environment. I believe the Chinese should be forced to find a way to remove the paint and repair the damage done. The ship it's self was over 17 miles off course.. unusual given today's technology..

And why should the Chinese pay for it?

Reichelt said repairing the damage left by the Shen Neng 1 will likely be largest operation ever undertaken on the reef, a World Heritage Area.

Way to go China.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I agree that they should have to fund the repairs and pay to fix the damage. It's the only respectable thing to do. I know it was an accident obviously but they need to step up and take responsibility financially this time.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Posted here.

I agree though. This is a big tragedy. It could be a lot worse though. The ship was way off course. Speculation is it was intentional in an attempt to cut time.

There was another ship caught in the reef in another area the day after. They arrested the crew, but they already made bail.

This is the bigger problem I think. More ships are using this area as a cut through.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I believe the Chinese should be forced to find a way to remove the paint and repair the damage done. The ship it's self was over 17 miles off course.. unusual given today's technology..

And why should the Chinese pay for it?

Reichelt said repairing the damage left by the Shen Neng 1 will likely be largest operation ever undertaken on the reef, a World Heritage Area.

Way to go China.

Yes I agree they should pay damages and quick smart. This is a travesty and very damaging to our relations. Queenslanders like myself have a deep love and respect for the great barrier reef and it's protection it's part of what makes life in QLD so much better than anywhere else in the world.

It's such a shame to watch the reef spared the ravages of bleaching only to be subjected to this.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The ship has been removed from the reef and has been towed for survey.

Likely the ship will not be released until a bond is paid to cover the damages.
Plus they will have to send a new captain as the one that caused the problem has had his ticket pulled in Australian waters till the courts act.
Till that point its a arrested ship
www.lexnexus.net...

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
The ship has been removed from the reef and has been towed for survey.

Likely the ship will not be released until a bond is paid to cover the damages.
Plus they will have to send a new captain as the one that caused the problem has had his ticket pulled in Australian waters till the courts act.
Till that point its a arrested ship
www.lexnexus.net...

how is money going to fix the damage these incompetent chinese sailor caused?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by DOADOA

They will actually be sending in teams to cut away the portions of the reef that have paint on them. It will take extensive manpower and money to finance the expedition .. from current studies they have shown that the paint is instantly killing the reef where contact was made, and then slowing spreading outward as the chemical kills the organism.

The more money that is donated, the more people and machines that can be involved, the faster the paint and chemicals can be neutralized. China owes the Australian Government this at least, as well as the World.

top topics

join