It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay Day sparks criticism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

I'd have to agree that this is a waste of tax dollars and flat out garbage to sympathize with a single lifestyle.

What about physically and mentally handicapped children? What about racial bullying? Or just bullying in general? Where is their day of silence?

Why the extra emphasis and focus on homosexuality?

All this drama for a sexual preference? Seems one sided and very self righteous.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AzoriaCorp

I'm a little confused as to how this is a "waste of taxpayers money" as some on the Fox News article state.

1. You DO have a right to participate in Day of Silence and other expressions of your opinion at a public school during non-instructional time: the breaks between classes, before and after the school day, lunchtime, and any other free times during your day. If your principal or a teacher tells you otherwise, you should contact our office or the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network.

2. You do NOT have a right to remain silent during class time if a teacher asks you to speak. If you want to stay quiet during class on Day of Silence, we recommend that you talk with your teachers ahead of time, tell them that you plan to participate in Day of Silence and why it’s important to you, and ask them if it would be okay for you to communicate in class on that day in writing. Most teachers will probably say yes.

3. Your school is NOT required to "sponsor" Day of Silence. But Day of Silence is rarely a school-sponsored activity to begin with – it’s almost always an activity led by students. So don't be confused - just because your school isn’t officially sponsoring or participating in Day of Silence doesn’t mean that you can’t participate.

4. Students who oppose Day of Silence DO have the right to express their views, too. Like you, they must do so in a civil, peaceful way and they only have a right to do so during non-instructional time. For example, they don’t have a right to skip school on Day of Silence without any consequences, just as you don't have a right to skip school just because you don’t like what they think or say. blog.dayofsilence.org...

They aren't asking students to cut class thus hurting attendance/funding nor are they asking them to disrupt class.

Pretty typical tactic to use a false and transparent excuse to justify bigotry hoping that most people won't look things up for themselves.

Personally I think it's a great idea ... cruelty is learned at a very early age and should be stood up to at that age. Being different is no reason to have to live in a permanent state of fear.

[edit on 12 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

But its only bigotry when it comes to homosexuality....

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Reading the article FULLY, and as SD pointed out, this is not meant to disrupt classes or waste money.

I don't even see what taxpayer money is being used??

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I wonder if GLSEN is planning a heterosexual recognition day out of fairness for the students left out of this "Day Of Silence"? I hope somebody files a discrimination lawsuit if they don't. What am I saying! There's a 'Black Awareness Month', an 'Asian Pacific American Heritage Month', a 'Latino Awareness Month', even an 'Islam Awareness Month', but is there a 'White Awareness Month'? That would be racist! Wouldn't it? Just as a 'Straight Awareness Day' would be declared discriminatory, right?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

There is a "white awareness month" ... it's called every day.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog

2. You do NOT have a right to remain silent during class time if a teacher asks you to speak.

FALSE!!!

You have a RIGHT to remain SILENT.

ANYTHING you say can and WILL be used against you in a court of law!

NO ONE can MAKE you Speak! No One!!

If they really wanna communicate, show them your favorite finger.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
I wonder if GLSEN is planning a heterosexual recognition day out of fairness for the students left out of this "Day Of Silence"? I hope somebody files a discrimination lawsuit if they don't. What am I saying! There's a 'Black Awareness Month', an 'Asian Pacific American Heritage Month', a 'Latino Awareness Month', even an 'Islam Awareness Month', but is there a 'White Awareness Month'? That would be racist! Wouldn't it? Just as a 'Straight Awareness Day' would be declared discriminatory, right?

Gee I forgot that you heteroes get ragged on SOOO much for loving the opposite sex.

Once your afraid to voice your true feelings in public, to your peers for fear of ridicule, and physical trauma and your heterosexual, then you can ask for your own day.

Conservatives are using their "values" to prevent schools and children from learning a valuable lesson about bullying in general.

~Keeper

[edit on 4/12/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

Reading the article FULLY, and as SD pointed out, this is not meant to
disrupt classes or waste money.

I don't even see what taxpayer money is being used??

~Keeper

That isn’t exactly my point in focus for this post but yes it is a waste of tax dollars as teachers (who are paid by tax dollars) will have to sit and explain how Gay day works and why and so forth. Meaning: time=money.

Either way, my point being, this is just another way for using the school system to indoctrinate kids into the political agenda.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I agree. However, do we really need all these awareness months? I mean for crying out loud...

Next, how about a Roswell Awareness Month.

reply to post by tothetenthpower

Once your afraid to voice your true feelings in public, to your peers for fear of ridicule

lol, isn't that the reason we are all on Above Top Secret?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

There is a "white awareness month" ... it's called every day.

No, there is no white awareness month.

It's not everyday or any day for that matter.

Props on the witty one liner.

I hate to say it, but it does show your true colors. Pun intended!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
without coming off like a hate-monger, but these special interest days... No body cares about this stuff. Just like that stupid Earth Hour... Seriously who participates in that crap.
anything that has to do with the ACLU is complete garbage.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

I hate to say it, but it does show your true colors. Pun intended!

Mmm, there's no "side" or "true colors" to accepting another human being for who they are and not needing to aggress them for it. Others might see it as a political issue, I however do not.

[edit on 12 Apr 2010 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I agree. However, do we really need all these awareness months? I mean for crying out loud...

No, we dont actually. I think America would be better off without them all. I thought America was where everyone was of equal worth. Giving special notice to a certain group or idea is not playing on the same level. If we would stop shoving all of our differences in eachother's faces, I believe we would get along alot better as bigotry and racial discrimination would be drastically reduced.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

I was unaware the heteros needed a day to themselves. I sometimes forget how they're treated so badly for liking members of the opposite sex. How sad it is that they can get married and are given full spousal rights in the event of a spouses death. We must stick up for these people since they obviously are needing their voices heard about these injustices!!

Sarcasm aside, if heteros want their own day, I think they should have it. It would be an eyeroller but if it makes us feel better then good for us. I'm not persecuted for being hetero though, I must be amongst the lucky.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   

If it's not on the curriculum, then the Teachers can CHOOSE whether or not to inform their classes about it.

Nothing in this process is mandatory. I don't think anti-bullying campaigns are a waste of time, regardless of what kind of specific bullying they are attempting to promote and prevent.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

If it's not on the curriculum, then the Teachers can CHOOSE whether or not to inform their classes about it.

Nothing in this process is mandatory. I don't think anti-bullying campaigns are a waste of time, regardless of what kind of specific bullying they are attempting to promote and prevent.

~Keeper

how could it NOT be on the cirriculum for the schools who are participating in it? Otherwise how would any of the students even know about it?

Plus I would like to know how any of this "Gay Day" charade, does any prevention for bullying? If I were working for gay rights i would find this insulting to my cause as I would think no one would take it seriously...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzoriaCorp

~Keeper

how could it NOT be on the cirriculum for the schools who are participating in it? Otherwise how would any of the students even know about it?

Plus I would like to know how any of this "Gay Day" charade, does any prevention for bullying? If I were working for gay rights i would find this insulting to my cause as I would think no one would take it seriously...

What are you talking about? Do you know what a curriculum is? It's mandated by the state or the federal government, it says everything that teachers NEED to teach, anything that is not in there, is left up to choice or not taught at all.

Something like this is not mandorty as it's the schools and teachers choice to participate. This is like extra-curricular. It requires no effort from the school or the teachers.

I do work in gay rights my friend and these sorts of campaigns are excellent for children. You are using a legitimate problem, which is bullying and factoring in tolerence for people who are different then themselves.

The program is literally about anti-bullying,

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzoriaCorp
www.foxnews.com...

I'd have to agree that this is a waste of tax dollars and flat out garbage to sympathize with a single lifestyle.

What about physically and mentally handicapped children? What about racial bullying? Or just bullying in general? Where is their day of silence?

Why the extra emphasis and focus on homosexuality?

All this drama for a sexual preference? Seems one sided and very self righteous.

Now , now . Let's not hide what we really mean behind feigned concern for others.
Take a stand. Organize your friends with a counterprotest.
How about ¨Slay a Gay Day¨ That should rally 'em round.
If a stand isn't taken now, fag bashing could be out of fashion within a generation.
Feel free to use all the tax dollars you'd like.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
If certain people want to have their day to remember people who have died for being who they were then they should. But, on a personal note if I was given an award that only white people could get, I would decline. I don't think its cool excluding anybody for things they have no control over.

With that said, in my day to day life Im not persecuted for being white. I'm secure with myself in that respect. Maybe these days are used to rally these people together. Let them know that though they are going through hard times, they're not alone and their fight for equality isnt going unnoticed.

If I was being persecuted for my lifestyle or color of my skin then I would relish the ability to be able to have a day for myself to celebrate who am I am with people like me. So, I say let them have it. Any type of people who want it can have it in my opinion.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join