It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the F-16XL video?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Why the test flight of F-16XL video still is unclassified?
Has there still been secret or something really advanced?

The point I eager to watch is the F-16XL is possibly fitted with vectoring nozzle doing something amazingly.

This purpose of this thread here should be to discussing what the advantage of the F-16XL remaining today? Your idea are welcome.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
not the F-16XL but here's an example of axisymmetric thrust vectoring on the F-16

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
In the first video it was said the F-16XL had never met its important goal-supercruise at 0304~0308. However, it was said that were capable of flying none-afterburner supersonic suddenly after its arrow wing was refitted by double delta wing. Am I right? or heard it wrongly?

The F-16XL also were able to do high AoA in its test program without visial video released but F-16HiMAT. I think there is sth strange.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by emile
In the first video it was said the F-16XL had never met its important goal-supercruise at 0304~0308. However, it was said that were capable of flying none-afterburner supersonic suddenly after its arrow wing was refitted by double delta wing. Am I right? or heard it wrongly?

No you misheard emile thats all, it was stated in the video that the F-16XL was not capable of supercruise until after NASA modified one wing with a vacuum suction system to promote laminar flow. However it was only fitted to one wing not both and it was a glove like fairing that did not cover the whole wing. Also the wing profile did not change as it remained a cranked arrow configuration from the original design.

I am however a little skeptical of the video claim the the aircraft did not achieve supercruise and that (as stated in the video) this was a primary reason why it was not selected for the USAF competition the F-15E ultimately won. As far as I am aware this was never a requirement and I dont believe a loaded F-15E is capable of this anyway. I think the desire to keep the F-15 line open, as hinted in the video had far more influence on the final outcome.

LEE.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I agree with you bozeian, needless to say full load, even with CFT only, the F-15E will never fly in supersonic without afterburner. The supersonic without afterburner which maybe intend to enlarge combat radius also could be highly doubtful. But here our question ought to be why the superior arrow wing didn't make F-16XL into supercruise?

Is there anyone noticed that profile of F-16XL's leading edge just is resemble to the PAKFA's leading edge which from fuselage to wing tip?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Hello emile, in an earlier post yopu referred to an 'F-16HiMAT'

The HiMAT programme was not anything to do with the F-16, it was an entirely separate small scale, remotely piloted test vehicle that was designed to have interchangeable wings, tail, canards etc to test various different configs such as FSW, delta canard, swept wing with tail plus canard etc etc. When I find a picture showing these layouts I'll post it up here

EDIT, Didn't take long, here you go;

[edit on 14-4-2010 by waynos]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by toreishi
not the F-16XL but here's an example of axisymmetric thrust vectoring on the F-16

The post by toreishi makes me associated F-16XL with HiMAT.
Think about this: the airframe of HiMAT is highly similiar with F-16, fitting canards not even with HiMAT also Euro-wind and F-16CCV, both of Eurotyphoon and Rafale layouts was considered with dual-angle swept wing like F-16XL used later, then I don't think the delta-like wing fitted on HiMAT which effects would be far from F-16XL used arrow-like wing.

I think this is not a coinsidence. Both Typhoon and Rafale performed high maneuver with no TVC very closer to F-22, which means, their layout contains factual advantage overhead to normal design. These layout even was simplified due to economic consideration.

I admitted perhaps when chosen layouts in that researching of YF-22, engineers found some or most effects of advanced aerodynemec layouts could somehow be substituded by TVC, but I'm strongly suspecious of they had studied the most superior layouts and put it combination with TVC to made it perfect.

new topics

top topics

join