It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A conspiracy in religion?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Well, here is my take on the dearth of responses and participation by believers.

CiR has abrogated it's original raison de'etre. The majority of threads in CiR have nothing to do with conspiracies at all. We have religious people creating threads to proselytize, non-believers starting threads to slam religions and threads started by people that are jocular in nature.

In addition, this subforum has swung heavily in the direction of bashing of religion and the religious. You seem to be concerned with ad hominem and yet it seems quite clear that the majority of ad hominem comes from the atheist side of the debate, not the believer side (although there are certainly too many examples from both camps).

On top of that, you have certain people who have a specific axe to grind and will continuously start new threads on the same topic slamming the same group. Threads of a similar nature that cover the same subject matter aren't merged and too few threads are moved to Faith and Spirituality.

To top things off, the level of erudition has dropped precipitously and it's mildly annoying that people ignore spelling mistakes (that are underlined in red in their own posts), sentence breaks and refuse to use caps.

How long would you expect believers to hang around and participate in an environment like that?

Eric

[edit on 11-4-2010 by EricD]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by EricD
CiR has abrogated it's original raison de'etre. The majority of threads in CiR have nothing to do with conspiracies at all. We have religious people creating threads to proselytize, non-believers starting threads to slam religions and threads started by people that are jocular in nature.

I couldn't agree more - well said.

In addition, this subforum has swung heavily in the direction of bashing of religion and the religious. You seem to be concerned with ad hominem and yet it seems quite clear that the majority of ad hominem comes from the atheist side of the debate, not the believer side (although there are certainly too many examples from both camps).

I disagree with that - From my atheist point of view, I see more ad-homs from religious folks than anyone else. The non-religious folks just tend to reciprocate more vociferously.

On top of that, you have certain people who have a specific axe to grind and will continuously start new threads on the same topic slamming the same group. Threads of a similar nature that cover the same subject matter aren't merged and too few threads are moved to Faith and Spirituality.

I completely agree - this is a phenomenon of 'flag-farming' I believe.

To top things off, the level of erudition has dropped precipitously and it's mildly annoying that people ignore spelling mistakes (that are underlined in red in there own posts), sentence breaks and refuse to use caps.

How long would you expect believers to hang around and participate in an environment like that?

This just goes to show the high-school dimwits mentality that has taken over a lot of the debate recently. The CiR forum is a refined point in case here I believe.

However - I need you to address the question in case here as well - do you believe there is a conspiracy against Catholicism from the Protestant Anglican church and other quarters of our global society?

Parallex.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Parallex]

[edit on 11-4-2010 by Parallex]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

It has come to my attention recently that the religious forums are too quiet. By this I mean, we don't have enough religious folks trying to refute the claims about the Catholic church, the Anglican church and the other religions currently committing atrocities etc.

WHERE HAVE THEY ALL GONE?

The mods have started to clean this board up, they decided to shift the theme of a board that was gennerally a crap flinging contest back to a board about Conspiracies in religion. Those threads and discussions have been moved to BTS under the rant and faith and spirituality boards.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I don't think you've noticed this part answer to your question, viz.

Originally posted by DISRAELI

2- I find it very difficult to believe that Protestant churches in Europe have enough muscle, even behind the scenes, to be driving media campaigns. In the States, things may be different. I would have thought that any anti-Catholic animosity in the media on the European side of the Atlantic would be secularist-driven.

PS In support of this last remark, another thread has just published an announcement by Richard Dawkins.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by DISRAELI]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join