It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuke submarine crashes while navigator listens to iPod...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Longtimegone
These people are the botton 10%. Didn't you know that?

Actually, Navy Nuclear Power School is not easy to get into nor to graduate from. These people are far from the "botton 10%" as you claim.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

You are somewhat correct. On a submarine, approximately 1/3 to 1/2 have been through Nuclear Propulsion School. This school requires around an 80+ ASVAB score as well as a Nuclear Quotient Test. Nuke School has about a 75-80% attrition rate (i.e. 75-80% don't complete the schooling from enlistment to reporting to ship). The schooling involves 3 phases. In-rate training, nuclear theory, and nuclear application. It has been compared to technical schools such as MIT, but compressed into a 1.5-2 year course.

The rest of the enlisted submariners requires around a 50+ ASVAB score, as compared to the surface fleet requiring around 32 ASVAB score. All non-nuclear sailors are put through a rigorous Submarine School before proceeding to their "A"-School. Which can range from 2 months to 12 months depending on their respective rating.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
www.strategypage.com...

This is not the first time the Hartford has had an underwater misadventure. Six years ago the Hartford grounded itself while training off the Spanish coast. It was only after the sub was dry docked, that it was discovered how serious the damage was. The bottom half of the rudder was torn off, and the gouges in the hull were deeper than first thought. Although the sub was able to steam back to dry dock facilities at Groton, Connecticut, it had to do so at half speed, taking a month for a trip that normally is made in two weeks.
This is the second time this sub crashed due to failure of navigation.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:42 AM
link   

This sounds like a national lampoon movie.

Reality is stranger than fiction:

I used to have a newspaper clipping of the incident (despite the fact some claim it is apocryphal).

Found it:

This is a transcript of a radio conversation between a US Naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland. I understand that there's actually a full transcript of this conversation lurking about somewhere. If anyone has is, send it to me!

US SHIP: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

CANADIAN REPLY: Recommend you divert YOUR course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US SHIP: This is the Captain of the US Navy Ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

CANADIAN REPLY: No, I say again, divert YOUR course!

US SHIP: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS MISSOURI. WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW OR WE WILL TAKE APPROPRIATE AND DRASTIC MEASURES!!!!

CANADIAN REPLY: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

Source

Would be almost be funny and believable if there actually was a US Navy aircraft carrier named the Missouri.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

Pedantry will get you nowhere. Especially as the USS Missouri is one of the most famous US battleships in naval history:

In the morning of 2 September 1945, more that two weeks after acceping the Allies terms, Japan formally surrendered. The ceremonies, less than half an hour long, took place on board the battleship USS Missouri, anchored with other United States' and British ships in Tokyo Bay. It was an extensively photographed occasion, and, despite overcast weather, generated many memorable images...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a0a432eb4301.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 11/4/10 by pause4thought]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

Yeah, thats why the guy was smart enough to not crash the sub.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Longtimegone

It didn't have to do wth anyone being "smart enough," it had to do with inattention. You should take the Navy exams just for fun to see if you could get into Nuke school. Where do you think you'd end up?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join