It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just saw a meteor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Did anyone else in the midwest see a blue meteor at around 7:45? It flew across the sky about west/south-west. It was blue, and let off sparks. It wasn't very fast, but it was moving pretty good.

Are we scheduled for meteors at the moment, by the way?

Edit to add: It was technically a fireball. It's apparent magnitude was -4 or greater, due to the fact that it was a little larger than Venus.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Phlynx]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
If anyone could identify if one actually passed by, that would be nice.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
What section of Platform 9 3/4 are you in?

lol sorry, just kidding, but where are you country wise?

Seeing as you did not mention, Ima guess the states.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
What section of Platform 9 3/4 are you in?

lol sorry, just kidding, but where are you country wise?

Seeing as you did not mention, Ima guess the states.
Midwest. I don't like to disclose my state to often. Just a paranoia thing.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
earthsky.org...

heres a guide too this years meteor showers, we are beginning Lyrid season soon. There is many more on the way

spelling

[edit on 9-4-2010 by fill0000]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by fill0000
earthsky.org...

heres a guide too this years meteor showers, we are beginning Lyrid season soon. There is many more on the way

spelling

[edit on 9-4-2010 by fill0000]

Thanks. It's a little early for Lyrid at the moment...

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Well, I'm in Indiana, and I didn't see the meteor that you are describing, however a few days ago I saw a really big white meteor streak across the sky, and it was larger than any other meteor I've ever seen. It was pretty cool. My guess is we are just seeing some stray meteors, maybe a precursor for a big meteor shower to come? I dunno, but it was really beautiful. Hope you enjoyed your meteor show

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
delete double post

[edit on 9-4-2010 by okbmd]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Yes Indeed , I saw it myself .

I was setting outside smoking a cigarette , when it came from out of nowhere .

It came from the east / southeast and was heading in a west / northwest direction .

It was indeed a very dazzling blue looking color , with a bit of purple and yellow . It was breaking up as it crossed the sky , and I too , thought that it was moving rather slow .

I checked my watch and it was exactly 7:53pm .

It was awsome and I thought about posting it myself , but I had company to pull up right as it burned out .

I am about 100 miles east / northeast of the crossroads of America ., if you know where that's at .

Having just now checked with my trusty U.S.-issue compass , it was indeed traveling in a northwesterly direction ., approximately 300 degrees from due north .

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by okbmd
reply to post by Phlynx

Yes Indeed , I saw it myself .

I was setting outside smoking a cigarette , when it came from out of nowhere .

It came from the east / southeast and was heading in a west / northwest direction .

It was indeed a very dazzling blue looking color , with a bit of purple and yellow . It was breaking up as it crossed the sky , and I too , thought that it was moving rather slow .

I checked my watch and it was exactly 7:53pm .

It was awsome and I thought about posting it myself , but I had company to pull up right as it burned out .

I am about 100 miles east / northeast of the crossroads of America ., if you know where that's at .

Yes, that was definitely it. It broke of with yellow, I don't remember there being any purple, but you are much farther to the east then I am.

I too thought it was going rather slow.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
You might want to have a look at this thread/my post here.

As I said there, meteors occur all the time. Always neat to see one breaking up though. That makes me think it was asteroidal in origin (they are much harder than cometary meteors), and not related to any annual meteor shower.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Yes indeed , it was rather awesome to see . I have never seen one breaking up before this one .

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by okbmd

Meteors that fragment like that are quite rare. I've seen only 2 or 3 in 100's of hours observing time, and 10's of thousands of meteors. So you are quite lucky to have caught one like that.

Try putting in some serious time around the dates of the major annual meteor showers and you will see lots of other cool stuff. Two or 3 nights a year away from light pollution on peak nights, spent in a sleeping bag, and you will understand why some of us observe the major annual meteor showers (Quadrantids, Perseids, Leonids, and Geminids) almost religeously

top topics

join