It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Internet provider defies digital bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

UK Internet provider defies digital bill

One of the UK's three biggest internet service providers has vowed not to co-operate with measures to combat file-sharing set out in the government's controversial digital economy bill, expected to receive royal assent within days.

TalkTalk, with more than 4 million UK internet users, said that "many draconian proposals remain" in the bill, including some that would allow content companies to force internet service providers (ISPs) to block the connections of customers suspected of online copyright infringement.

The Open Rights Group, which campaigns for individual rights online, criticised moves to rush the bill through parliament before the election, saying "measures to allow disconnection of individuals from the internet, for undefined periods of time" and web blocking laws were pushed through "with no real scrutiny and limited debate".

MPs and Lords complained that sites such as Wikileaks or even Google were at risk of being blocked under an order by the secretary of state, because a new clause inserted by the government on Wednesday night provides powers to block sites that "have been, are being or are likely to be used for or in connection with an activity that infringes copyright".

Read the full article here

Wikileaks I can understand why they would want to take away from people, but google as well? So what are they going to do, take away every viable search engine except one that the government creates and tracks? Yeah... okay.

I feel bad for the UK, I hope you all can get rid of this bill, or get it fixed before it passes, although the US is not far behind in doing much of the same stuff. Before we know it we will have to hack our way through to getting on websites such as the one you're on right now [ATS]. The US has been talking a lot about conspiracy websites and whistleblowers, and I'm sure the UK isn't happy about them either. We all know the governments are interconnected through the 'higher ups' so the bills that pass in the US are going to effect the UK, and vice versa.

Anyway, it's good to see that at least one UK internet provider is fighting the bill and realizing that some of the laws/abilities the government/ISPs would have would be overbearing to say the least.

[edit on 9/4/2010 by highlyoriginal]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I think that these laws will be used and abused.
Much the same way as Anti-Terrorist laws are used day to day, enabling police too do 'things.'
With these new laws, most third party media out-lets would be finished. Itll certainly damage You-Tube, and also, maybe wreck this site..?
Since a lot of people dont have permission to up-load data and also Copy the data.
So then they'll chuck you off the net...
Even for minimal infringements I think.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Good for them, we need more ISP's that can stand up to what will soon be an international level conspiracy against freedom of the internet (aimed at things like wikileaks). But the best thing about it? The internet interprets cencorship as damage, and always finds a way to route around it. Long live the underground.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
S+F,

We need more of this kind of thing.

Restriction of the net is not something that one government should do.

Is Britain China? Do we have a right to information and the net?

-m0r

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Any opposing ISP's are not taking a stand against the bill for the people but rather for the profit. Cant make money if there are no customers? If the bill passes, then its only a matter of time before so many people get "Barred" From using the internet, supplyers start to lose money.
If i stopped being able to download music and movies for free what would i use the internet for? Facebook? a few forums here and there? I wouldnt bother paying for it if thats all i got.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
There was no mention of Labour proposing to implement this policy in their last manifesto.
Labour deliberately timed it so that the Bill would go through undebated in The Commons in the wash up prior to The General Election.

Despite opposition from a handful of commendable MP's of all parties this Bill was uncontested and supported by all the main political parties.

Democracy at work?

I think not!

top topics

join