It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico may cut millions of cellphones to fight crime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Mexico may cut millions of cellphones to fight crime

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) – Tens of millions of Mexicans could find their cellphones
disconnected this weekend if the government goes ahead with a new law meant to fight
crime by forcing people to register their identities.

Advertisements on government radio and television have been urging Mexicans for weeks
to register their cellphones by sending their personal details as a text message, but on
Thursday 30 million lines remained unregistered as the Saturday deadline neared.

news.yahoo.com...

I find this quite disturbing
any comments here?

Can this becoming to America???

[edit on 9-4-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The law went into effect a year ago, but the deadline for registration is happening now which is why we are hearing about it. I am surprised however that it hasn't been discussed prior to this -- at least that I can recall. I may be wrong, I'll check.

Still, America Movil, controlled by billionaire Carlos Slim, is urging senators to extend the deadline for implementing the law, passed a year ago to try to stop criminals from using cellphones for extortion and to negotiate ransoms in kidnappings.

The article also goes on to say that it's a pointless law since drug dealers will simply use other people's information, etc. The government promised to "check the information provided" but it will come up with a legitimate name and address, so it will pass the inspection anyway.

This is yet another case where the freedoms of innocent people are being trampled all in the name of protecting us from criminals.

While it sounds good on paper, the truth is that the criminals will get the phones anyway and citizens will be harassed and bothered.

Let's hope this is one case in which something manages to NOT cross the border.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

I certainly hope so. I'm not a criminal, a seditious traitor or a terrorist so what is there to fear?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lilitu

Their ability to change the lawful definitions of a criminal, seditious traitor, or terrorist.

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lilitu

Originally posted by boondock-saint

I certainly hope so. I'm not a criminal, a seditious traitor or a terrorist so what is there to fear?

Don't you ever ask yourself the reverse:

Since I'm not a criminal, traitor, or terrorist, why are they treating me like one?

posted on Apr, 9 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
If the U.S. and Mexico actually wanted to solve the violent drug gang problem on the border they would legalize, regulate, and sell drugs in package stores alongside hard liquor.

Neither country actually wants to use this most logical rational method for solving the problem for a few reasons:
1) The violence scares people into giving up fundamental unalienable rights like freedom of speech (which necessarily requires anonymous communication) and the right to be secure in one's person, house, papers, and EFFECTS (the cellphone number they have, who they call); never mind that the very idea of a war on drugs violates the fundamental unalienable right to decide for oneself what one will put into their own body.
2) The illegality of drugs creates a $300 billion dollar market that would not otherwise exist, the proceeds of which are laundered into the economic system through cash based businesses and invested in the stock market.
3) Intelligence agencies use their ability to create Special Access Programs to control the drug market, earning the lion's share of that $300 billion dollars which they then funnel into other Special Access Programs that have no oversight by elected officials (why do you think our govt took drugs as a form of payment during Iran-Contra... to sell them for cash).

There is no real justifiable reason to infringe on the fundamental unalienable right of freedom of speech to solve the violence caused by drug gangs. Legalization, regulation, and sale through package stores would solve the drug gang violence problem. Anyone with half a brain knows that.

[edit on 9-4-2010 by Bobbox1980]

new topics

top topics

join