It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically Engineered ‘EnviroPig’ Waiting for Approval in US and Canada

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Genetically Engineered ‘EnviroPig’ Waiting for Approval in US and Canada

In the race to genetically engineer food that is tastier and cheaper, Canada’s University of Guelph is instead finding a way to produce meat that may be more environmentally friendly. For more than a decade the UoG has been developing the ‘enviropig‘, a genetically modified line of pigs that are better able to digest and process phosphorus. They are cheaper to feed because they do not require separate phosphorus food supplements, and they are better for the environment because they release up to 70% less phosphorus in their waste. Now in their eighth generation of enviropigs, the University of Guelph is still pursuing US FDA approval, and recently applied for the same from the Canadian Regulatory Agency. If successful, enviropigs could be the first transgenic meat to make a big impact on both pollution and your plate. Should the other billion or so pigs on the planet be nervous?

Read the full article here

Well well well... an 'enviropig' what a concept! I'm wondering myself what really will be within these genetically engineered pigs. Considering the [US & CA] governments are funding this, it's hard to believe that these will be more healthy in any way for people to eat. I'm thinking it's another way to sneak in chemicals to our bodies that we do not need, and that could possibly make us sick/sicker.

However, disregarding what I said above, I still have other comments to make. I think this could be very interesting if it didn't bother me so much that there are people thinking that the best way to help the human race eat better it to genetically engineer pigs... but whatever floats their boats, right?

If this passes, and these pigs are introduced are you going to eat them? Will other pigs not be used for food anymore? Will there become a 'black market' for real pigs - real bacon?

How do you all feel about this?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by highlyoriginal

It's a bad idea. Stop screwing around with nature.

That's all i can say

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I'm not going to eat them. I don't believe we know enough about genes to be screwing around with something you're supposed to ingest.

Ha, anyone else see the irony in splicing livestock with e coli gene?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by borachon
I'm not going to eat them. I don't believe we know enough about genes to be screwing around with something you're supposed to ingest.

Ha, anyone else see the irony in splicing livestock with e coli gene?

That is pretty ironic. Like I said, I wouldn't put it past the governments to put chemicals into these genetically engineered pigs that will harm us. We know it's going on with other foods, so this would be just perfect for them, would it not?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
DO NOT WANT. Don't eat any cloned or genetically made man meat. DO NOT WANT! This is getting bad..

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by elcapitano75
reply to post by highlyoriginal

It's a bad idea. Stop screwing around with nature.

That's all i can say

We've been screwing around with nature a long time before genetic engineering came into play.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Sounds like selective breeding to me, or something along those lines.

Is it real pig meat, and is it synthetic meat, if you are just gene splicing it should still be pig?

I am not too schooled in this subject.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by borachon

You wont be told that their genetically modified. Or it will be a very very small logo on the package label.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
It's funny how marketing works. Here we have "Enviropigs", genetically engineered and marketed as some type of scientific marvel and environmental savior.

But what we really have is another profit grab for more ownership of patents on genetically engineered life and the genetically engineered food that will feed it.

"Why harm the environment and feed them phosphorus rich grass? We'll genetically engineer low phosphorous feed and sell it to you as an environmentally friendly alternative".

Anyone remember Monsanto's StarLink bt corn and it's effects on the health of the cattle that consumed it?

This will be just like Monsanto and other agri-multinational companies who duped farmers around the world into using their GE seeds, then coming to find out that they required regular use of their patented fertilizers and pesticides for their crops to grow at all.

It took the majority of profits from the farmers and made them depended on these chemical products for their livelihood, all the while introducing more and more chemically altered foods into the consumer market.

They are cheaper to feed because they do not require separate phosphorus food supplements...

It always starts out with the "cheaper" promise. Soon there after we always find farmers indebted to large loans they now require to keep their farms viable. Then they are locked into the cycle with the looming threat of foreclosure should they not abide by their new industry framing regulations and high interest repayments.

They are all ways to gain more control and more profit on every processes and step involved. Always benefiting big business, always hurting the average farmer and consumer.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Another example of how science is leading us down a path AWAY from God.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
hmmmmm bacon....

Seriously ... before ATS I never had a problem with the idea of genetic modification of plants and animals for consumption, however, the reasearch I did into Monsanto and others of their ilk has changed all that. It's not just the questionable business practices.

Unfortunately without proper scientific proof I can't back up my "gut-feel" that eating GM food is going to cause huge problems for the human race in the near future.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by 911stinks

If god didn't want us to genetically engineer animals, why are we able to?
And please don't say the devil.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

God doesn't want people to kill themselves, but we are able to.

What fun would life be without choices, and consequences of choices?

It's all a test. We are all gods, but we must pass the test, to show that we
can accept increased knowledge, power in the Universe responsibly.

Most fail the test horribly. That is why we are headed for a culling of the idiots.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
How does this topic have anything to do with God, and the straying to or from?

I thought it had to do with gene splicing and breeding better food. All human activities.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

God doesn't want people to kill themselves, but we are able to.

What fun would life be without choices, and consequences of choices?

It's all a test. We are all gods, but we must pass the test, to show that we
can accept increased knowledge, power in the Universe responsibly.

Most fail the test horribly. That is why we are headed for a culling of the idiots.

All conjecture, An all powerful all knowing god would surely find a way to solve this problem without needing to write a book telling us how wrong we are when we do these things, I'd love to know also how you know what test this god is doing, what if he's trying to weed out gulliblity and blind faith?

[edit on 8-4-2010 by hippomchippo]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The Book of Enoch states the following was occurring before the flood.

"And they began to sin against birds, and beasts, and reptiles, and fish..."

I take this to mean genetic manipulation. The fallen angels were quite literally experimenting with creation and Enoch further states teaching man to do the same and how to make weaponry.

"...and to devour one another's flesh, and drink the blood. "

The outcome of such modification was the backdrop for about hundred different movies -- scientist acts like God and a rage/zombie plague is released on mankind.

It is only a matter of when, not if.

Zechariah on the end times: "Now this will be the plague with which the LORD will strike all the peoples who have gone to war against Jerusalem; their flesh will rot while they stand on their feet, and their eyes will rot in their sockets, and their tongue will rot in their mouth. It will come about in that day that a great panic from the LORD will fall on them; and they will seize one another's hand, and the hand of one will be lifted against the hand of another.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by elcapitano75

More than that, quit screwing around with my food! I don't want to get cancer from my ham sandwich!

[edit on 8-4-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
We have been genetically engineering food ever since farming was invented, it's called 'selective breeding'.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

Selective breeding is different from going in there and screwing with the genetic makeup of the cellular structure.

Worlds different

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by C0bzz

Selective breeding is different from going in there and screwing with the genetic makeup of the cellular structure.

Worlds different

Yes, it is worlds different because GM foods can produce significantly better results on a much shorter timespan. Both involve changing the genetics of crops. I'm not going to defend Monsanto or claim that GM modified foods are at present perfect; but they have promise to help the food and fuel situation a whole lot.

[edit on 8/4/2010 by C0bzz]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join