It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists find errors in linking solar flares to global temperature

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   

The field of climate science is nothing if not complex, where a host of variables interact with each other in intricate ways to produce various changes. Just like any other area of science, climate science is far from being fully understood. As an example, a new study has discredited a previous hypothesis suggesting the existence of a link between solar flares and changes in the earth’s global temperature. The new study points out a few errors in the previous analysis, and concludes that the solar and climate records have very different properties that do not support the hypothesis of a sun-climate complexity linking.

"The theory of anthropogenic global warming consists of a set of logically interconnected and consistent hypotheses,” Martin Rypdal said. “This means that if a cornerstone hypothesis is proven to be false, the entire theory fails. A corresponding theory of global warming of solar origin does not exist. What does exist is a set of disconnected, mutually inconsistent, ad hoc hypotheses. If one of these is proven to be false, the typical proponent of solar warming will pull another ad hoc hypothesis out of the hat. This has been the strategy of Scafetta and West over the years, and we have no illusion that our paper will put them to silence..."

LINK

There's been a number of papers showing that there is no connection to come out recently, but they don't seem to be getting a whole lot of attention by the media. It's like they only pay attention when the fringes and politically driven scientists have something to say, but this is just regular, boring science as usual, nothing news worthy.

The whole sun causes global warming theory is among the favourites of the "alternative scientists" and climate conspiracy theorists, right up there with "cyclical climate change" and probably something to do with galactic alignment. Although, as the article points out, papers and studies like this do little to sway those who have their minds made up and the same people will probably still be talking about sun cycles years and years from now.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
This line goes for the Evolution theory also, yet that isnt a fail...

This means that if a cornerstone hypothesis is proven to be false, the entire theory fails.

What we can conclude then, as they say , the sun dont have any effects on earths climate, we can remove the sun and we would freeze to death ? or double its output and we wouldnt warm one bit ?

It is like saying that adding fuel to the fire isnt making it hotter on the nearby objects... Sciene at its best...

Im not sure here, but Martin Rypdal sounds Norwegian, Im nut sure either if he is the idiot popping up on tv here in Norway , and he talk nonsense non stop.... He is like GreenPeace and Bellona, just selling products for the 'so called' Green Tech Sustainable Development plan, which is the Agenda 21.......

I saw on BBC back in december, a women were scaring all the viewers with global warming, and in the middle of her fearmongering, say said : And btw, the Earth have a stable orbit around the sun NOW, it didnt use to, but it have it NOW ... Just propeganda... I see this every time people are thinking out side the box ' Maybe there are some external forces causing planetary changes' , then you have Media puking all over it: 'No no , it is just us humans doing this, you MUST understand this, or Else we cant scam you with lots and lots of Carbon Taxes'...

[edit on 8/4/2010 by ChemBreather]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

This is the Warmist camp warming up to fight another round in the battle they are currently losing. They will attempt over the next few months to discredit any attacks on their pet theories, right or wrong, and millions of dollars are being spent to bolster their point of view.

Although, as the article points out, papers and studies like this do little to sway those who have their minds made up and the same people will probably still be talking about sun cycles years and years from now.

This snipe is absolutely typical. You could also reword this:

Although, as the article points out, papers and studies like this do little to sway those who have their minds made up and the same people will probably still be talking about global warming years and years from now.

When you have once respected organisations like Greenpeace so fearful of losing the billions they receive in donations, and resorting to threats to try and retain their grip, you can bet your bottom dollar that much more of this is going to come out.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

You've used an inaccurate headline as the basis for your presumptions. Rypdal and his brother (who helped him get his PhD in 2008) are the only "scientists" involved in this "study."

Rypdal males no such assertions in his actual paper, however.

The analysis shows that the solar flares and the temperature fluctuations are characterized by distinct exponents and by fundamentally different stochastic properties. We find no evidence that the turbulent intermittency of the sun influences the temperature on short time scales.

complexityandplasmas.net...

As everyone seems to agree, "short time scales" is weather, NOT climate.

As with many statistical analyses, the governing principle is "garbage in, garbage out."

You only rely on a pseudo-science e-zine "physorg.com" as support, when the real focus should have been on Rypdal and his papers (and his agendas).

Rypdal is a mathematician . He obtained his PhD in Mathematics in 2008. His dissertation (he needed help from his brother for this)? A stochastic theory of the dynamics of sandpiles.
econpapers.repec.org...

Try harder.
jw

[edit on 8-4-2010 by jdub297]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Spring is arriving here in the UK and the global warming climate change propaganda has been minimal so far due to the harsh winter we are emerging from but with the spring warming there will also come the global warming propaganda.

I couldn’t believe the amount of hype before and during Copenhagen here on the news, it was relentless but the unexpected arrival of crisp arctic weather shut them up. Only shut them up for 5 months though.

Just as a footnote I sat in my car this morning warming the engine so that the ice could be melted from my windscreen I looked around my drive which is covered in daffodils wondering when they will all finally flower they are at 50% so far. Im not saying the planet hasnt warmed all im saying is my small part of the planet is showing only signs of cooling! (I guess thats why the sneaky buggers changed it to "Climate Change" lmao)

Oh btw im in the South West of england on the edge of Exmore

new topics

top topics

join