It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palestinians Try a Less Violent Path to Resistance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
This thread is intended to be more about the American Press take on the conflict rather than the conflict itself.

Nonviolence has never caught on here, and Israel’s military says the new approach is hardly nonviolent. But the current set of campaigns is trying to incorporate peaceful pressure in limited ways. Rajmohan Gandhi, grandson of the Indian independence leader Mahatma Gandhi, just visited Bilin, a Palestinian village with a weekly protest march. Next week, Martin Luther King III is scheduled to speak here at a conference on nonviolence.

www.nytimes.com...

Firstly the title of the piece in the New York Times 'Palestinians Try a Less Violent Path to Resistance'. It is framed in such a way to suggest that this kind of non-violent resistance has never been attempted by the Palestinians before and that they only know how to resist violently.

There have been plenty of attempts to resist Israeli occupation and violence by the Palestinian leaders, which resulted in death or prison for the majority of them.

Alison Weir puts it brilliantly in a response to Bono of U2'S plea for a 'Palestinian Gandhi'.

For the reality is that nonviolence is only as powerful as its visibility to the world. When it is made invisible through its lack of coverage by the New York Times, the Associated Press, CNN, Fox News, et al, its practitioners are in deadly danger, and their efforts to use nonviolence against injustice are doomed.

www.counterpunch.org...

Next i move on to a piece breaking today in The Washington Post about an apparent consideration by the Obama administration to propose and American peace plane for the conflict.

Despite recent turbulence in U.S. relations with Israel, President Obama is "seriously considering" proposing an American peace plan to resolve the Palestinian conflict, according to two top administration officials.

"Everyone knows the basic outlines of a peace deal," said one of the senior officials, citing the agreement that was nearly reached at Camp David in 2000 and in subsequent negotiations. He said that an American plan, if launched, would build upon past progress on such issues as borders, the "right of return" for Palestinian refugees and the status of Jerusalem. The second senior official said that "90 percent of the map would look the same" as what has been agreed in previous bargaining.

www.washingtonpost.com...

As i recall the Camp David agreement was little more than a farce which the Palestinians got very little out of it. Where is the Post's analysis of this? If 90% of the plan would be based on this, how is this going to lead to a peace deal?

Where are these serious questions in the American press?

I know these two papers are basically tools of the U.S. government but it would be nice to see some actual journalism and abstract thought on such a complicated issue.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Ok PM, I'll bite

The media ALWAYS focuses on violent resistance undertaken by the Palestinians in their struggle for a homeland...Never are examples of peaceful endeavours brought to our attention...

This is due to much of the MSM in the west being owned/controlled by the Zionist movement...

It is not in the Zionists interests to show Palestinians engaged in peaceful resistance...If they did, they would be unable to justify the continual human rights violations and genocide carried out against the Palestinians by Israel...

If they showed peaceful protest instead of those violent radical Palestinians launching rockets into Israel, the game would be over...Peace would be more likely to happen than not...

But lets face it, the Zionists controlling the media have always made money out of people suffering, and they're not about to kill that golden goose anytime soon...

Interesting take on the issue PM, good job

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Retrovertigo

Thanks. I am not surprised you 'bit' taking into account your signatures!

It would be interesting to see if ALL Palestinians could somehow get together and call a General Strike such as they did in the 1936 Arab Revolt. It would be near on impossible to organise as Mossad,Shin Bet, IDF and IAF would be all over it.en.wikipedia.org...

The media would then have to cover it and shoot pictures showing Palestinian women being dragged away by Israeli security forces and a non-violent (as in compared to Israeli violence) demonstration being mercilessly destroyed.

I am not sure about the claim of a Zionist/Jewish control of the media etc. I try to avoid such generalisations. But the more you see the more it is difficult to refute such a claim.

I think the coverage also points to a deeper malaise within the 'old guard' of the media. They have become so used to being fed a line by the Government of the time, C.I.A. etc that they do not even carry out basic anaylis of issues such as this one.

Another factor may be fear. Remember the Gary Webb expose on the C.I.A link to drug traffikers? Remember how the likes of the Times and Post jumped to the C.I.A.'S defence and tried to basically destroy the man? www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mabye this is what frightens off anyone interested in pursuing real journalism at these establishments.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Double Post.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Another example of the pathetic American media coverage of the conflict.

Citing an unnamed Egyptian intelligence source, Israeli media reports have said the wall will be rigged with sensors and pressurized hoses to flood tunnels with seawater.

Tunnel builders say some 3,000 underground passages were operational before Israel launched a three-week offensive against Gaza over a year ago, but only 150 are still operating after the conflict and subsequent Israeli air raids. Israel says Hamas has used the tunnels to replenish its rocket and small-arms arsenal since the war. Israeli officials have said Hamas has also increased the range of its short-range rockets and acquired anti-tank and anti-aircraft missiles.

www.washingtonpost.com...

No mention is made of the fact these tunnels are used to smuggle in many other items needed in Gaza, which are not allowed to them becasue of the Israeli siege, and not just weapons. Or the fact that Egypt's willingness to construct this 'wall' illustrates the complete betrayal of the Palestinians by Egypt.

And to think Egypt used to be the primary nation in the Moslem/Arab world who stood up to Israel.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
No mention is made of the fact these tunnels are used to smuggle in many other items needed in Gaza, which are not allowed to them becasue of the Israeli siege, and not just weapons. Or the fact that Egypt's willingness to construct this 'wall' illustrates the complete betrayal of the Palestinians by Egypt.

And to think Egypt used to be the primary nation in the Moslem/Arab world who stood up to Israel.

Egypt has been loving the US for long time, and they haven't even been charging five dorrar...They are worse sellouts than the Saudis...And being in bed with the Israelis is just sickening...

So the the Palestinians are going to be drowned for smuggling the necessities of life into Gaza, eh ?

Israel is the second most disgusting nation in the history of mankind...Even tho my Uncle Mahmoud didn't say it, I will...Israel really does deserve to be wiped off the map, obliterated completely...No trace left...

What they are doing to Palestinians is at least the equal of what was done to their forbears in Europe before/during WW2...You'd think that might have taught their people a bit of empathy, but nope...They've turned into monsters just like the Nazis

[edit on 8/4/2010 by Retrovertigo]

[edit on 8/4/2010 by Retrovertigo]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I would like to hear about any non-violent resistance attempt by Palestinians. I know only about general strike on Nakba day, and it is not that general. Not that i am saying that all Palestinians/Israeli Arabs want to kill/fight. Majority are not violent people. But so far leaders of Palestinians - with exception of Mahmoud Abbas - all choose violence. And Abbas looses because of this in popularity among Palestinians by the way.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Personally my thoughts and approach to this issue is for the commonwealth of nations to take over organising the peace process.. If, as reported the Palestinians plan to join once they have got independence, why not get involved in the process.

Since IMHO the media on both sides causes much more friction than is really helpful..

At least the Commonwealth as a mixed bag of nations has nothing real to gain from either side except peace... It would give the Palestinians a potential market that is not Iran/Russia et al, which would suit the US/Israeli side.

It at least it might be the right enabler that allows both sides to feel protected from each other, from themselves and allow the big boys on both sides to step back abit from this mess.

All the current Commomwealth declarations would give a good foundation for a independent state to set itself by.. If Rwanda, a Ex-French colony can look to joining the Cricket fraternity on it's way to fixing it's genocidal tendancies, I see no reason why the Palestinians or even Isrealies can't join that club

But I know that is my pie in the sky dreams.. Peace for both sides and Palestinians and Isreali atheletes competing against each other at the Commonwealth games...

Sorry, was rather off topic in the end, On topic, yep, the media sucks on both sides of that fence.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

A fair question. First off i recognise the Palestinian right to violent resistance in the face of Israeli occupation and violence. It may not help the situation, but any one of us put in conditions such as Gaza would react the same way

Here are some examples of non-violent resistance, and how the Israeli Security Forces deal with it and International Media cover it.

Sami Awad, Coordinator for the Holy Land Trust, a not-for-profit community support organization committed to nonviolence and the teachings of MLK and Gandhi, aptly points out, “Nonviolence is not something that happens overnight. It’s not a means to end the conflict tomorrow. It’s something that evolves over long periods of time.”

Complicit too is the media’s noncoverage of nonviolent direct actions and damaging comments by someone of Bono’s stature that completely ignores the vital nonviolent struggle and committed activists. Palestinian leaders like Ghassan Andoni, Mustapha Barghouti, Jamal Juma’, Abdallah Abu Rahme, Mohammed Othman and Jean Zaru , among others, continue to speak publicly and organize direct actions to nonviolently protest injustices. Israeli and Jewish activists join Palestinian initiatives regularly. Neta Golan, Jeff Halper, Rabbi Erik Ascherman and Ezra Nawi are just a few. “Internationals” from other countries also participate, facing beatings, arrest, bullets, teargas and even death from Israeli forces.

Many Palestinians have been killed while taking part in nonviolent protests including Basem Abu Rahme who was killed during a protest in Bil’in. Internationals have also been killed, including Rachel Corrie and Tom Hurndall. Tristan Anderson, an American, lies in a coma after being shot with a teargas canister.

blog.amnestyusa.org...

Sixty-five year-old Sharif Omar Khalid, known more familiarly as Abu Azzam, has spent half his life struggling to preserve Jayyous’s land. In 1980, with other farmers representing villages throughout the West Bank, he founded the Land Defense Committee, one of 18 organizations that now make up the Stop the Wall campaign. Gifted with stubborn optimism, he counts as victory an Israeli Supreme Court decision in April 2006, which pushed the path of the wall back from the south side of the village. The decision returned 11% of Jayyous’s former land -- 750 dunams of the 8,600 blocked by the barrier. (A dunam is a little over a quarter of an acre.)

The wall remains, as does one of its most essential parts: the “agricultural gate.” There are two of these on Jayyous’s land -- one to the north; another to the south. Almost all of the village’s farmers are forced to use the north gate. Opened by Israeli soldiers for two 45-minute intervals at dawn and dusk, the gate blocks a patrol road manned by the Israelis. But to get beyond the gate, across the patrol road, and from there to their farmland, Jayyous’s farmers need “visitors’ permits.”

Since 2003, Israel has decreed that the villagers are only “visitors” on land they have worked for generations. Obtaining the permits is an excruciating obstacle course that only begins with proof of land ownership. Abu Azzam is one of the village’s major landowners; his title goes back several generations to the time when Jordan occupied the West Bank. Being a known activist, he was periodically denied his permit until the Israeli Supreme Court finally granted him a permanent permit noting that its bearer is a “security problem.” This produces extra problems for him in his daily odyssey to his fields and back.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Need i go on? Becasue there are hundreds more examples of this.

Even Hamas, the 'mortal' enemy of Israel, has offered to recognise Israel several times since it's coming to political power.

From November 2006

The Hamas movement is ready to recognize agreements signed with Israel, and in fact recognize Israel, but only within the '67 borders, senior Hamas member Khaled Suleiman said Wednesda

www.ynet.co.il...

These offers were not accepted by succsesive Israeli governments, and instead initated a siege and succsesive attacks on Gaza, forcing Hamas to return to its original stance of no recognition for Israel.

Wouldn't the safety of Israel be best served, (as that is what is argued as the reason for all Israeli aggression against the Palestinians by Israel's leaders), if its nearest enemy agreed to accept her right to exist?

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

First off i recognise the Palestinian right to violent resistance in the face of Israeli occupation and violence. It may not help the situation, but any one of us put in conditions such as Gaza would react the same way

Israel does not occupy Gaza anymore. And Israeli blockade and military actions against Gaza started only after "violent resistance" by Palestinians. Just to remind you - Gaza had sea port, airport and border passage to Egypt,operated by Palestinians with Israeli/EU supervision. Plus few passages with Israel. But someone thought that rockets are good idea. Guess we now know it was bad. Current awful situation in Gaza is result of attacks on Israel from Gaza. Again, before intifada leading to those attacks , just a decade ago, it was all much much much much better.
As for your examples - protests (justified ones in my opinion since wall is poorly planned and executed even worse) against the great Israeli wall are not non-violent. Protesters are unarmed, true. And there is excessive and even lethal force by IDF. However there is constant stone-throwing leading to:

About a hundred soldiers and border police officers have been wounded in the clashes since 2008, according to the military

www.nytimes.com...
So it is less violent. I think it is more legit. It still got nothing to do with Ghandi however.
And as for Hamas recognising Israel - is it a joke? Hamas offered to not fire for few years ,while getting blockade lifted and refugees getting in Israel. That's it. Nothing close to recognition of Israel was there. One does not have to be a genius to get that it is only to better arm itself for next round.
Siege on Gaza did not start in 2006, it started earlier.
And for every conditioned "recognising Israel" declaration for Western media/politicians there always following unconditional "we will never recognize Israel" declaration for Arab/Iranian public.

Ghazi Hamad told Ha'aretz that Mashaal said, "Israel exists- and that's a fact." However, Hamad maintained that Mashaal did not say anything about recognizing Israel. "There was no change in our stance that Hamas does not recognize Israel," he said. Salah Bardawil, head of Hamas' parliamentary faction, told Ha'aretz that after checking with Mashaal, it seems to be that his words were twisted and distorted. "He didn't speak about any recognition of Israel, only a ceasefire with Israel," Bardawil said.

www.allbusiness.com...

Bethlehem – Ma'an – Palestinian Legislative Council speaker Aziz Dweik on Thursday denied reports by Israeli news outlets that he said on Wednesday Israel has a right to exist.

www.maannews.net...

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I am well aware that Israel does not occupy Gaza anymore. But its siege and attacks, since its departure under the leadership of Sharon, such as Operation Cast Lead are as bad if not worse than the occupation.

My statement about Palestinian right to resist referred to all Palestinains inlculding those in the West Bank and E.Jerusalem. They are under an offical form of occupation as recognised by the International Community through the U.N. and dozens of Resolutions.

Stone throwing by Palestinian youths can hardly be considered serious violence in the face of Israeli aggression. 100 Israeli soldiers injuried by stones!? What a tragedy! How many of these protesters were SERIOUSLY injuried or KILLED by these soldiers?

And not all these groups were or are involved in such incidents, like the Holy Land Trust for example. They are just legitimate protest groups against Israeli occupation of THEIR land.

Hamas offered this recognition in the immediate aftermath of its fairly contested election win. It doesn't do so now as a result of Israel's actions, supported by the U.S., since then in attempting to overthrow them and destroy them, so it is hardly surprising is it?

The U.S. Israel attempt to support Fatah in their overthrow of the democratically elected Hamas.

Legal or not, arms shipments soon began to take place. In late December 2006, four Egyptian trucks passed through an Israeli-controlled crossing into Gaza, where their contents were handed over to Fatah. These included 2,000 Egyptian-made automatic rifles, 20,000 ammunition clips, and two million bullets.

News of the shipment leaked, and Benjamin Ben-Eliezer, an Israeli Cabinet member, said on Israeli radio that the guns and ammunition would give Abbas “the ability to cope with those organizations which are trying to ruin everything”—namely, Hamas. Avi Dichter points out that all weapons shipments had to be approved by Israel, which was understandably hesitant to allow state-of-the-art arms into Gaza. “One thing’s for sure, we weren’t talking about heavy weapons,” says a State Department official. “It was small arms, light machine guns, ammunition.”

www.vanityfair.com...

Hamas has a significant bloc of moderates who would be willing to negotiate with Israel.

I understand that you are an Israeli and wish to protect your country but at the end of the day all violence directed by the Palestinians towards Israel today originates from Israel's original annexation of Palestinian land in 1967, simple.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I understand that you are an Israeli and wish to protect your country but at the end of the day all violence directed by the Palestinians towards Israel today originates from Israel's original annexation of Palestinian land in 1967, simple.

I disagree. Violence started in 1948. Well, it started even earlier. 1928-1929. It is not about occupied territories ,at least not for Hamas. It is about removal of Israel due to religious and only then political reasons.
In 1967 territories were not captured from independent Palestine. It was Jordan and Egypt controlling those, and there was no Hamas or Fatah fighting for freedom of Palestinians ,actually you will not find army fighting for Palestinian independence in 1948. Local army was called Holy war army, not Palestinian defense force for example.
It was a was simply to remove Israel. Not create Palestine. If you ask me - this is exactly why it failed.
And do not get me wrong - certainly there are now forces in Palestine who have Palestinian national identity and want their own national home as a main priority. Hamas however is not one of those forces. Just look at what it made of Gaza.

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Well yes you can trace the original outbreak of violence between Jews and Arabs in Palestine to the riots at the Neba Musa celebration in Jerusalem in April 1920.

But i am specifically talking in regard to the situation of the occupied land. Yes it was not independent Palestinian Land but it was all they had following their Nakba in 1948. Not really surprising that the Arab world wanted destroy Israel following that. However today i think it is pretty well accepted by most powers in the region such as Syria, Egypt, Saudi Arabia that Israel is a reality and must be negotiated with.

Yet Israel continues to basically refuse to negotiate for a final peace deal in the region. Look at their clinging on to the Golan Heights?

Its pretty hard for Hamas to make much of the Gaza strip economically when it is almost completly isolated from the rest of the world as a result of Israeli policy.

new topics

top topics

join