It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious Seven Sermons to the Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Mysterious Seven Sermons to the Dead

I came across this today and wondered if anybody else has come across it. It is a passage by Carl Jung; I have had it for a while and never read it. I was just having a glimpse just now and found a mysterious anagram at the bottom of the transcript. I have run a few searches to find the meaning, but it appears that it has never been solved! I thought that was a little strange seeing as it is nearly 100 years old!

Anyway, there are lots of websites with this transcript on along with the anagram but no more information after that. All I know is that it is German. Here is the anagram:

ANAGRAMMA: NAHTRIHECCUNDE GAHINNEVERAHTUNIN ZEHGESSURKLACH ZUNNUS

Here is a link to the site with an introduction as well as the transcript:

The Seven Sermons To The Dead

Here is a Wiki Page on the transcript:

WIKI Page

The Page Includes this quote:

A commentary upon the work was written by the gnostic bishop Stephan A. Hoeller[3]. When bishop Hoeller inquired with the editor of The Red Book, Sonu Shamdasani, in mid 2009 about the relationship of the two books, Shamdasani said that the Seven Sermons was like an island, but the Red Book is like a vast continent.

Here is Carl Jungs’ Wiki Page for those interested:

Carl Gustav Jung

Here is a Wiki Page for Jungs’ most recently published work, which has been kept private for nearly a century and which I believe contains this transcript:

Liber Novus (The Red Book)

Finally here are some reviews of the Liver Novus:

The Red Book Reviews

I thought I would post this just to share as well as hopefully getting some help on its meaning! I will be looking into a bit more but someone out there reading this might already know a lot more than me!

THANK YOU

Fixed BB code

[edit on 7/4/10 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
No one got any thoughts on this then? Note even on the transcript itself? Oh well guess I will have to crack it all by myself.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I think he is making fun of you. Carl that is. I don't think its a traditional annagram. Which might explain why it isn't "cracked." It is not words written - it is sounds said.

Just my guess looking at it.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   

It began with a restlessness, but I did not know what it meant or what "they" wanted of me. There was an ominous atmosphere all around me. I had the strange feeling that the air was filled with ghostly entities. Then it was as if my house began to be haunted....
Around five o'clock in the afternoon on Sunday the front doorbell began ringing frantically...but there was no one in sight. I was sitting near the doorbell, and not only heard it but saw it moving. We all simply stared at one another. The atmosphere was thick, believe me! Then I knew that something had to happen. The whole house was filled as if there were a crowd present, crammed full of spirits. They were packed deep right up to the door, and the air was so thick it was scarcely possible to breathe. As for myself, I was all a-quiver with the question: "For God's sake, what in the world is this?" Then they cried out in chorus, "We have come back from Jerusalem where we found not what we sought/' That is the beginning of the Septem Sermones. (Memories, Dreams, Reflections, p190-1)

Hmmmmm.

the spirits who visited Daniel?

Reminds me a bit of Surprised by Joy aka C. S. Lewis.

Will read more after work.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Found this video on youtube, don't know how much relevance it has:

This guy Ganzer seems just to a musician and this is some of his material, but the title is the same as the annagram. Someone has posted a comment on the video asking for help with this as well!

The video just consists of an embem and the sound just sounds like white noise. I thought it was some kind of binaural beat or isochronic tone initially but its probably a faulty upload. Intriguing none the less. It would be good to know if Jung has done a similar thing at the end of other works?!

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Although the Red Book is amazing, I don't think it includes the Seven Sermons. They were privately published and circulated a few years after their compostion, and finally published as an appendix to Jung's autobiography, Memories, Dreams, and Reflections, coauthored with Aniela Jaffe, in the early 1960's.

Jung did not use that occasion to disclose his solution to the anagram. Jaffe's own proposed solution is

Carl Gustav Iung, in Kuesnach, Iahr neunzehnhundertsechzehn

This is not immediately satisfactory. The year of composition is fine, but the place is off. Kusnacht is Jung's hometown, Kuesnach it is not. The ue for u-umlaut substitution is not so troubling, even standard; the town website uses it today for its URL:

www.kuesnacht.ch...

but the missing t is trickier.

Apparently, it was an idiosyncracy of Jung's. At the bottom of the first illuminated page of the Red Book, this note appears:

manu propria scriptum a C. G. Jung anno Domini mcmxv in domu sua Kusnach Turicense

(written in his own hand by C.G. Jung in the year of the Lord 1915 in his home Kusnacht Zurich)

The peculiar spelling is also attested in several letters written by Jung:

www.bonhams.com...

www.freud.org.uk...

Why are the J's (in Jung and Jahr) are rendered as I's? Maybe to achieve an "antique" look and feel; Latin had no J, and often used the vowel I where we would use the consonant.

Although anagrams were not typical Jungian fare, enigmatic notes definitely were.

thejungiansociety.org...

Hope that helps.

[edit on 8-4-2010 by eight bits]

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
The Red Book is so beautiful. I haven't gotten very far in it at all yet. But already I am delighted to see some parallels between my self-led internal exploration over the last 15 years, and his stuff.

In the past I've occasionally come upon stuff written by people 'about' Jung's work, it's meaning, etc. I usually get a few paragraphs in before I have to stop. I feel the same way about text of someone intellectually expounding at length on books like A Course in Miracles. These things are profoundly experiential.

Intellectually -- "you can't get there from here."
The more people wax on the less I suspect they've experienced it.

(I'm not referring to the OP here--thanks for this thread!--I'm referring to authors who write about these topics, as if experts on them.)

Edwin Steinbrecher's "Inner Guide Meditation" book is a nice Western introduction to Jungian internal work, for those interested. His focus is astrology and tarot -- which I had no interest in when I began this so I ignored that and made archetypes of everything else, until later discovering he'd been right to put a focus there all along. If you're not into those models though, anything works. I'm pretty left-brain and it took me a lot of work to get my brain to STFU and let me do it, but if even I can, I figure anybody can.

RC

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by RedCairo

RedCairo,

I can't believe we have not come across each other on here before, you have just contributed to five of my favourite threads! Thanks for the info on books with regards to Jung.

Have you any thoughts on the annagram? Do you own the Liber Novus then? I am Jealous

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by carlitomoore

I'm glad, after almost three years, that there is some renewed interest in this mystery. Hopefully, whatever little I've posted there can be of some help.

*looking forward to some light*

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Masqua,

I am also glad that someone has resurrected this thread, something we are both very curious about. You have more power than me here, call for some backup! This could be a great topic for the research forum!

I will try and muster some initiative and make some progress with this. I think RedCairo is the one to kick this off, I have checked some of his/hers' recent psots and I would think this to be right up their street?

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by carlitomoore

The best thing we can do is try to find out as much online material [as we can] regarding this mystery and post it onto this thread. The more information we find ourselves and add on will add weight (and interest) to this topic. Sundays are slow days here, but I'd be willing to bet that more interested parties will join into the conversation if got attention on a weeknight.

Jung fascinates me and I have read quite a few of his books, but the Seven Sermons was added on to his final tome for a very important reason... I'm sure of it.
edit on 24/10/10 by masqua because: clarity

posted on Oct, 24 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

If you watch through youtube, these videos have an interactive transcript (never seen that feature before) so you can make better sense of what is being read.

After watching the fololwing video, I am addament I am going to buy this book before the year is out. It is such a unique little piece, I bet it is brimming with energy.

Hope these serve as an intrigue to the mystery that is Jung, and encourages people to help decipher the Annagram.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this.

Going to watch the videos now.

S @ F

new topics

top topics

join