It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this planet x? (no, it's Mars)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I don't think it's Betelgeuse, when he pans up he goes too far left, those coordinates are bogus too, very convenient them being in the middle of that blacked out patch

However, after staring at google sky, stellarium (til I was boggled eyed) and checking a few sites I think it's Mars.

Mars is in about the right place.

Just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim.Hero

Kinda makes you go hmmmmm.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Also, if it were Betelgeuse, then he'd be able to see it very clearly without infrared. He claims that it's only faintly visible with the naked eye.

Also, does Betelgeuse have a little moon thingy going around it?

[edit on 6/4/2010 by Acidtastic]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by PennyQ

I don't think it's Betelgeuse, when he pans up he goes too far left, those coordinates are bogus too, very convenient them being in the middle of that blacked out patch

However, after staring at google sky, stellarium (til I was boggled eyed) and checking a few sites I think it's Mars.

Just my opinion.

And a fine opinion it is! Thanks for boggling your eyes.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7716ef58e8cd.png[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
HA, glad to know I'm not just a pretty face.

Thanx Phage

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
So... the area in question, 6h 42m 8.44s, 41 40' 18.94", is redacted in Google Sky. Suspicious? Yes.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/16985a3c0321.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Suspicious?
No.
Google Sky is not an astronomy program, it's a toy.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nepafogo

he coordinates given in the OP are not where Beetlegeuse is located. I cannot say for sure that the OP is giving the correct coordinates of the star he filmed, but I know the coordinates for Betelgeuse are 05h 55m 10.3053s, 07° 24′ 25.426. From watching the film and where it pans to it does not appear that this star is located in the same coordinates as Bettlegeuse. Maybe the OP can film again and show this star and where it is located in conjunction with Bettlegeuse?

Without date and time coordinates, these mean NOTHING! The earth and planets (and stars to a certain extent) change positions every day.

You can look at these "coordinates" tonight, then tomorrow or next week at the same time and you will see a completely different star field.

When will you guys give up or at least try to learn some basic astronomy?

jw.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
From his YouTube channel 25mins ago, he seems to be updating. You guys that know about this stuff why not go straight to the source ? Just I thought I know I would if I had some knowledge on this topic.

jcattera (21 minutes ago) Spam Marked as spam Folks, there seems to be a lot of discussion about this object being Mars. Just to clarify, I used my 8 Inch LX200-ACF Telescope ($3000 system) on three separate nights in conjunction with my IR camera to locate this object. I also confirmed with four of my astronomy friends. We all know where Mars is located. The coordinates for this object are no where near Mars.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 6/4/2010 by TheDon]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDon

What good is a source that is full of crap?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Play nice I was only offering a option, and what seemed to me a easy one.

Lets not for get this post.

Originally posted by Phage
The youtube poster is a fool and certainly not an astronomer.
In this video he clearly pans to Betelgeuse. He also claims that Sirius is our closest neighbor.

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Phage]

I know nothing on this topic so I am just looking at both sides and would like to form my own option if that is OK

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Here's an IRAS overlay from Google Earth/Sky

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6539f5353c67.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Google Sky is not an astronomy program, it's a toy.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So is that image above valid and debunks this guys claim? do you confirm you know whos
debunk?

Thanks

EDIT: After reviewing this guys youtube channel and profile which includes equipment spec, education etc etc, if his in error and you guys know it for sure and you all seem to share the same interest, why not drop him a line and let him know the error of his ways? Then we might get right to the bottom of this.

Food for thought.

EDIT 2: I just thought of something funny, well I thought it was, his YouTube Channel reads a lot more shall a say “normal” than most members on this site LOL, even the so called experts ;-)

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The problem with the videos that make it hard to discern what the star is that it could be several things. 1) It could be jupiter or Saturn, as there is a stationary object next to the large bright object.
2) He moves the camera, thus you loose all frame of reference to what constellation that is being looked at. There really is no way to either confrim or deny what is being viewed without that frame of reference. If he had pull back to where you are getting a complete picture of the night sky then zooming in, it would make it alot easier to identify and locate objects in the night sky beyond the coordinates given.
I vote planet.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Here's the path of Mars from August 2009 to July 2010, cropped to show March 18, 2010.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e4d1ec283ef2.jpg[/atsimg]

edit: Revised photo. Added cropped photo.

[edit on 4/6/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

[edit on 4/6/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
There is one other aspect to the entire rogue planet/star theory wandering through the solar system that is ignored and often not explained, and that is the laws of physics. As I recall, a large body exhibits mass and gravity, and a brown dwarf moving closer to or through the solar system would not be able to do such unnoticed as it were. It would end up causing things like comets, asteroids, the movements of the other planets and the sun to shift in a way that it would be noticed. Gravity is a 2 way street, as the system bodies pull on it, it would exert an equal and opposite pull on them, thus I would think that if such was moving towards the earth, we would see more comets and asteroids moving towards the earth or out of their standard orbits to hit other celestial bodies.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDon
reply to post by Phage

Play nice I was only offering a option, and what seemed to me a easy one.

Lets not for get this post.

The youtube poster is a fool and certainly not an astronomer.
In this video he clearly pans to Betelgeuse. He also claims that Sirius is our closest neighbor.

Yeah, well. I was lazy. Good thing PennyQ had more energy than I do. The thing is when I see a youtube video with Planet X in the title, my eyes kind of glaze over. Point being, it is not an unknown planet.

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Phage]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Yeah, well. I was lazy.

Well I am not and I sent him a message from my YouTube account and informed him of this thread and asked if he would like to have a say.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by downtown436
reply to post by Isis_Is_I

Yeah, I think I am going to pay a visit to the astronomy dept. at the college here. I think it is very important to get to the bottom of this.

I think we went to the bottom of it, and found Betelgeuse or Mars

Planet X is a silly notion. More 'huey' to sell books.

upload.wikimedia.org...

[edit on 4/6/2010 by Pharyax]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by PennyQ

Just my opinion.

And a fine opinion it is! Thanks for boggling your eyes.

This thread is over now, right? Can we move it to the [HOAX] thread please?

I hate it when this rubbish starts clogging up the docket.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join