It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS as a tool for propaganda

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
With the apparent increasing popularity of this site, ( as judged by the advertising that is displayed), it seems that ATS is increasingly used as a tool to spread propaganda.
There is legitimate dissent and disagreement, and there is outright lying and posting untue and unsubstantiated "news", "evidence", and demonstrably false claims simply to propagandize ATS readers. Many of these posts contain "information" that is debunked after many exchanges by posters, yet are starred and flagged like crazy. This is because a good popagandist knows that most ATS'ers will read ONLY the first few posts, assimilate the lie, then spread it as fact. It does seem to me that this is used primarily by right wingers.
Now, before you say I have some liberal Obama loving axe to grind, I remind you I debunked many anti Bush posts as well. THE TRUTH IS THE TRUTH, A LIE IS A LIE. That is fact no matter what your political bent. I never resorted to simply lying or making up stuff, or repeating anything I knew to be false to further my views. If ATS has any integrity at all, ( aside from it's members), I would urge the readers and the Mods to take a closer look at what is posted. If ATS become nothing more than a place to repeat propaganda, it has no meaning at all.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I wholeheartedly agree! ATS should not simply "deny ignorance" they really need to deny misrepresentation as well.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Here is the Dictionary definition:

1. capitalizeda congregation of the Roman curia having jurisdiction over missionary territories and related institutions

2. the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person

3. ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause also a public action having such an effect

Number 3 ring a bell with anyone?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Don't any of you care that you are the willing victims of deliberate attempts to decieve and misinform you? Are you wrapped up in the NWO and Reptillians that you can't see the lies right in your face?
AMAZING.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I disagree.
If you are using a thread as your only source of education you deserve to be disinformed.

Think for yourself.

Any website that allows user content can be used for personal blowharding (propaganda).

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

What do you "disagree" with?
Are you OK with groups targeting ATS for propaganda purposes?
Do you imagine ATS members are immune to propaganda?
If they are, why so many stars and flags for "hoaxes", that are in reality, deliberate attempts to spread false information?

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The Internet as a whole can easily be used to disseminate disinformation. Id venture a guess that 70% of what you read on the Internet is either false or agenda-driven (viral marketing, political spin, etc). Because of the prevailing "everything goes" attitude of society, society is more vulnerable to being fed false info than ever before.

This is paradoxical because there is also more free flow of information available than ever before.

Trustworthy news sources will be sought after like Gold.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Well, it is more than obvious there is a certain leaning to anti-Obama, Anti-liberal here; expectedly in response to the anti-Bush era. Very immature but predictable. It all depends on who is in office I guess.

But you also got your restless witch-hunters overall that make this site look like just some other tabloid magazine.

As to propaganda and lies, nowhere is immuned. People just have to be wise and smart enough to weed them out.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldDragger

What do you "disagree" with?
Are you OK with groups targeting ATS for propaganda purposes?
Do you imagine ATS members are immune to propaganda?
If they are, why so many stars and flags for "hoaxes", that are in reality, deliberate attempts to spread false information?
That this site is used for propaganda.

Are posters targeting posters with propaganda?

Or are they as human nature allows, looking for like minded souls to discuss like minded views with?

It is only propaganda if you dont vet it and swallow it whole, thus you deserve your propaganda stomachache.

I hope this clarifies my post for you.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
It is only propaganda if you dont vet it and swallow it whole, thus you deserve your propaganda stomachache.

And that is exactly what most ATS readers do, be it UFO's, "the government", politics, swine flu, you name it. That's why ATS is being targeted. BECAUSE PROPAGANDA WORKS!

ATS supposedly has a policy against posting knowingly false information, yet many seem to slide by using the "it's my opinion" loophole, Or the "gee whiz, I thought it was true" scam.
It's about the sites integrity. I imagine someone will say I'm trying to deny The First Amendment, far from it. It just hate to see this site degenerate into nothing more than advertising for partisan political purpose through a proffesional propaganda effort.
Kinda like what happened to the Tea Party movement. Think it over.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Double post removed

[edit on 7-4-2010 by OldDragger]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Mate, sorry to burst a bubble, but what do you mean they "will be".

They are sought like gold, and much of it is currently of the fools variety, sadly.

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Just this morning I heard weasel Newt Gingritch talking about his "discussions" with Tea party "leaders". Don't blame me when guys like Newtie start targeting ATS with their "patriot" propaganda!

[edit on 7-4-2010 by OldDragger]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
There is a propaganda campaign going on right now on ATS.
Several members, who admittedly "hate Obama" are posting known "birther " hoaxes in what I believe is a deliberate attempt to propagandize and mislead ATS readers. Everytime they are exposed as frauds, they claim they didn't know their "source" was a hoax. That way they spread their disinfo, garner a lot of flags and stars, then bail on their own thread.
Convienient huh?

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Derised Emanresu
reply to post by Skyfloating

Mate, sorry to burst a bubble, but what do you mean they "will be".

They are sought like gold, and much of it is currently of the fools variety, sadly.

From the earth to the jeweler, it's all fools gold my friend. As for the trustworthy sources, they are sought after infinitely and will be until the end of course. Unless we all get tired of the truth. A semi-young Jack Nicholson would say I told you so.

Why is everyone so concerned about all this? Propaganda, integrity of the site, that of the site's members? People, we all believe what we want to believe. Propaganda works yes, and that's a fact. But lets be honest, the reason any of this is even an issue is because everyone in this entire human race, everyone (yes this means in fact nobody is exempt) is born and will die, an indecisive lost puppy looking for meaning and answers that will somehow ease the hunger pangs that is the mystery of being... Right? People are always stating their cause and or cases and then saying "is this right, is it true." then bam, the field goal kick = "you decide..." Ooh so mysterious... The point being to create doubt either way. No question that to question either side is unquestionably the best approach to find the truthful answer to any question.

So some are concerned that the site's integrity is being tampered with or is being turned into nothing more than a tabloid. From what I've seen so far, this site is full of insightful, creative and very very thoughtful people who have much to say about many things. The best part being that even in an utterly "ridiculous" case, it is often expanded on by people looking for the same answers that the poster is. What's so wrong with that?

People are also saying that people that are ignorant enough to believe it then they deserve to be left in the dark. This is true to an extent yes. It's no mystery whatsoever that hey, people are going to believe a lot of things they read simply because there are some little smudges of "proof" and with a dash of concern in the words of the first post. Nobody deserves to be left in the dark, just as nobody deserves to be castrated and then thrown into a well with nothing but a ball and chain to wear. At the same time hey, before you die of natural causes one can always choose their own way to go. (I'm horrible at analogies. I know you also just thought to yourself what? that was an analogy?...)

What makes you think anyone should think any different of the hand that points fingers? That is neither here nor there either of course.

Point being, instead of worrying about ATS and/or its members being propagandists, why not worry about the real issue. It's people's choice if they want to actually believe. Everything seems to be the same just on different scales... This being no different. Questioning integrity and pointing out propaganda. This is a perfect way to get the mind thinking on all sides of the spectrum, that is what I gather is the main cause of communities like ATS. The constant expansion and sharing of thought and possibility. In the end isn't that all we have? Our conscious thoughts and experiences, real or fake we have went through it all one way or another right? You decide...

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by OldDragger

Couldn't agree with you more... If I had taken time to read through the "crap", I would have just said it here rather than start a new thread on this very subject. At least I know there are a few of us that feel the same.

posted on Apr, 18 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   

With all due respect, I think you've jumped to a conclusion with that statement. Most of the people here that I have followed over the years, have proven themselves to be "educated" to the topics of conversation to which they post.
This should be obvious to anyone that has followed ATS in the past.
This could be seen in the conversation, postings, links and references that were given as additions to the postings.
That is what has been missing from ATS as of late and is needed for proper education in any subject, especially with todays modern methods of disinfo distribution methods..
The old saying of "Don't believe anything you read, hear or see", has never been more true in this day and age.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
It's all about what you know and how high you think your on the the food chain. We are not only somebodies property but also their lunch too.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
ATS is good .... ATS is your friend .... Kill people who don't like ATS ...

Seriously the staff here is pretty good at weeding out the Untrue but being a member driven site and knowing its us non-experts it's up to us to double and triple check each other... when and if you do find something flauntingly untrue just click the Alert button, that's what's its for... then it gets moved or labled "HOAX"

And now a word from our sponsors...
"ACME!" when you want only the finest in death rays choose ACME!

[edit on 2-5-2010 by DaddyBare]

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
ATS as a tool for propaganda

Oh. How contraire...

ATS is a venue Not a platform. Those who attempt to "use" it as such (a platform) are typically rather quickly shown the door or sequestered to a dark and secluded cul-de-sac (the trash bin).

It would seem you're speaking more of other's Opinions ... perhaps, specifically, those which are cross-grain to your own. (?)

As another member previously posted or alluded to, ATS, as a whole, neither holds nor takes any position or stance on a given topic, interest or focus. That is, until, if or when her Members ferret out the particulars and demonstrably Show it to be a !HOAX! ... at which point those threads are moved accordingly.

"Truthers", "Birthers", "We Never Went To The Mooners", etc... ALL have opinions ... with Some seeming more valid and reasonable than others. Take Your Pick.

To Each Their Own ... within the rather minimal constraints of the T&C agreed to ... leaving the Members to decide for themselves what is wheat and what is chaffe.

The "diamonds" Are there, it's up to you (the Member) to sort/sift through the creekbed and pick Your own Personal gems.

We do our best when a !HOAX! or falsehood is made clear and apparent, until then, it sure beats the hell outta wading through Anonymous Cowards and whatnot elsewhere.

Just sayin' ...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join