It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death Toll Now Seven *25 Dead Now and 4 More Missing*

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Death Toll Now Seven

www.wvmetronews.com

n explosion at a coal mine in Raleigh County has killed at least 7 miners and 19 more are unaccounted for., according to a statement released by massey Energy. The explosion happened late this afternoon at Massey Energy’s Upper Big Branch South mine at Montcoal.

"It is with a heavy heart that Massey Energy confirms at this hour 7 dead and 19 miners unaccounted for," said Massey Energy Chairman and CEO Don Blankenship. "However, until we are able to notify next-of-kid, we will not release their names."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edited to update

[edit on 4/6/2010 by semperfortis]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Mining is such a dangerous job. I know there are still parts of West Virginia that mining is the only viable source of income for families. The jobs are basically passed on father-to-son from generation to generation. Its too bad people have to risk there lives and health in coal mines these days.

www.wvmetronews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Really is sad. Praying for those that have gone and hoping that those unaccounted for are somehow safe. It is very true that in a good portion of WV mining is the only viable career for many. Parts of VA and NC as well (though most of that is open mountain top coal mining). Obama's getting ready to halt the mining of open mountain tops soon anyway, so those fellas will be safe, albeit hungry. Mining is exactly as you said, its own culture or tribe, passed down from father to son for generations. Just go ask your average 20-25 year old coal miner in WV how long his family has been at it, he probably can't count that high but the boy will tell you he's 8th or 9th generation.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by Shark VA84]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
What a shame and tragedy.
There is a sort of catch-22 in the mining communities. For their personal health and the planets health it would be great if we could put an end to using coal as a fuel. But then that would take away a much relied upon means of employment for those areas and families.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
A terrible way to die. My grandfather died from black lung. There is no good way to mine coal.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Makes you wonder why we wouldn't find a better source of energy regardless of whether global warming is true or not. A tragedy that no family should have to face.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Sad news.

Being from a coal mining town, I experienced the sound of those whistles a few times as a young person.

I lost my grandfather to a coal mining accident before I was born.

My heart and sympathy goes out to those families.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

God rest there souls.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by GAOTU789]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. Did most of the men in your family tree work in the mines or was it just something he had choose to do for work?

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

It was about a 50/50 split until my generation. By the time I was old enough to even consider what I wanted to do, the mines had mostly closed and the few left didn't do much hiring. The mine closures devastated my home town and it has never really recovered.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
The death toll is now up to 12. It doesn't look good for the remaining missing people.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Man what a bitch this is to hear.
I hate to hear about dangerous jobs that prove themselves, causing the loss of brave working class family men. Most of whom were just trying to provide a decent life for their families. God be with them all.

Conclusion is from
WV and worked the mines as well. I hope his friends are safe.

[edit on 6-4-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Yeah it is bad. All you can do is pray and hope the rescuer team can save as many as possible. Massey Energy owns a bunch of mines in West Virginia. It is a Billion if not Trillion dollar industry. When you are deep in the mines, and the smoke is thick, a mining light will not do you much good. Listen for the conveyor belt, if it is still running and try to get your sense of direction. Know where you are at all times. Easier to find your way out. First thing you do though is drop to the ground and put on your breathing apparatus. Praying the whole time that it works. These things rely on a mixture of gas's to combine to give you up to an hour of breathing. The thing about them is they get very hot and can actually burn your lips, but you have to keep them on or die of smoke inhalation. Not the best of conditions if you haven't noticed. Dealing with the pain you have to keep your bearing and find a shelter box. There is an intake of air and then there is a return for the air to leave the mines. If you are outby the explosion you go to the intake so you can have clean air and a way to get out. If you are inby the explosion you should try to find your way to the closest shelter.

This situation is very bad. They have to drill holes from the surface. They also have detectors and can pick up someone who hits a roof bolt very hard with something hard and manageably heavy.

I could try to answer any questions you might have.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Death toll is now 10.

Simply awful.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Damn 25 dead. Wonder what the hell happened Conc?
This is such a bad deal. My sympathies go out.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Coal scares the crap out of me.

COAL IS TOXIC

WHY IS IT TOXIC?
Coal is toxic because:-

Elements such as arsenic, mercury, lead, cadmium, selenium, nickel, vanadium and copper are accumulated and concentrated within coal and associated strata. For example, coal seams can have 6 x as much arsenic, 5 x as much uranium, 4 x as much mercury, 3 x as much lead compared to a typical basalt (hard igneous rock).

The fine particulate nature of coal dust, and the toxic constituents therein are readily inhaled and lodge in the lungs as well as being ingested.

Coal strata also contain hydrocarbons and benzene-ring derivatives within their organic layers that are considered carcinogenic.

Any water that is found within coal strata will be saline in nature,
contaminated with organic derivatives and toxic and heavy metals.

Coal is toxic.

In 2004 in the US it was found that 20% of women of childbearing age had mercury levels in their hair that exceeded federal health standards. This is largely the direct and indirect result of the combustion of coal in the US.

Lignite = Brown Coal

Coal is consistently one of the most dangerous sources of energy for workers with 6000 deaths in 2004 in China, and 28 deaths in the United States that same year.

source

The air pollution from coal burning is estimated to cause 30,000 deaths a year from lung disease in the United States, and 350,000 a year in China. It's time to get away from coal.

[edit on 6/4/2010 by C0bzz]

[edit on 6/4/2010 by C0bzz]

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This thing should be checked for sabotage. Coal politicas being what they are these days.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Any news on whether or not the mine caught on fire? We don't need another underground fire burning for hundreds of years.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Damn 25 dead. Wonder what the hell happened Conc?
This is such a bad deal. My sympathies go out.

It was an explosion. If I have the information right it Happened on the long wall section of the mine. I have never used a long wall miner or been on a long wall section so I don't know much about that.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock
This thing should be checked for sabotage. Coal politicas being what they are these days.

Well one thing I do know is that Massey Energy doesn't have a good reputation with coalminers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join