It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do Atheists Care?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by KyoZero

That is a good one, KyoZero. I will try to remember that one.

I do not care if one is atheist, I just wondered why they attack the Christians and not the other groups too. Thank you for your response.

posted on Apr, 6 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

I am going to say amen to that, riley.

I also believe school is where children should learn. Prayer should be done at home or in church, not organized at school either (Jesus did state a person who prays in public is a fool).

I am also for Christian, atheist and other types of groups holding their meetings on campus for after school activities (they keep the building cool and lights on anyways). If they allow one, they have to allow the other. They also cannot discriminate against anyone wishing to join their groups (including gays) on campus.

I am for separation of Church and state also.

(Edited to amend and corrections.)

[edit on 4/6/2010 by kidflash2008]

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I feel that you do not need to attend your sacred building of worship in order to have faith. If your deity existed, he/she shouldn't mind where you worshipped him/her.
A lot of religions I find (and no thanks to school teachings) have the enforced idea that you need to pray in a Church/Temple/Mosque in order to have faith.
In response to the OP, maybe it is because Christianity, Catholicism in particular, is one of the most popular religions in the world, and so most people are not as well informed about any other religions

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
All of these atheists reflect my position in more ways than one.

I am an atheist, and no, I will not go to the back of the bus.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by Lilitu]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Lilitu

I wish to thank all of you for responding to my thread. I do wish everyone peace on their road to finding the answers out there.

Goddess Bless,

Lloyd

[edit on 4/8/2010 by kidflash2008]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 02:37 PM
link   
LOL I can make more videos than that about critisizing atheist, but what's the point? I'm comofrtable in my belief to where I don't need to make a video attacking others nonbelief. Flaws can be found in every belief in life according to hypocrites and false teachings.

peace OP... hope you found your answers

[edit on 8-4-2010 by JesusisTruth]

[edit on 8-4-2010 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Apr, 8 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Why Do Atheists Care?

Most could care less what you believe, those are the ones that just do their thing and are easy to get along with.
Here on ATS there are many evangelical type atheists that make long posts about religion. Their only problem is that they cannot really get a point across without trying to offend others.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

I live in perhaps the most secular country there is - Sweden and this is my take on the topic. I consider myself an agnostic by the way. As I see it atheism is a reaction, a rebellion, primarily against organized religion. Rebellions are usually very vocal. Now if you live in a basically non religious society (like I do) there is really no point in rebelling. But in the US it's different I think as religion seems to have a stronger hold on politics and society in general.

To me atheism is based on a flawed assumption, a leap of faith. It rejects the idea of a deity based on negative evidence - there is no evidence of God therefor God does not exist. Now a lot of people claiming to be atheists are really agnostics so there is some confusion there.

posted on Apr, 10 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008
reply to post by riley

I am going to say amen to that, riley.

I also believe school is where children should learn. Prayer should be done at home or in church, not organized at school either (Jesus did state a person who prays in public is a fool).

I didn't know that.. praying and meditation is a very personal thing I guess. My main concern is blurring the lines between fact and belief. I had to filter out alot of lies I was told. Including that I was inferior for being female.. and being told all about eve's punnishment? I never accepted that and was very vocal about my thoughts that god shouldn't be punnishing innocent people. It was confusing as I was getting told about an angry god and loving jesus and he sounded like a split personality who couldn't make his mind up. When you are a kid it's difficult trying to argue reason with adults who believe dinosaur bones were put in the ground by the devil.

Thank goodness for science docos and books. I'd get home from school and find solace and affirmation in science. It made sense.

I am also for Christian, atheist and other types of groups holding their meetings on campus for after school activities (they keep the building cool and lights on anyways). If they allow one, they have to allow the other. They also cannot discriminate against anyone wishing to join their groups (including gays) on campus.

I totally agree with this.. though I am against prolifers harrassing women outside clinics. It's rude and morally inappropriate. The protesting at funerals is fine by me.. so long as the grieving have a right to go beat them up for it.

I am for separation of Church and state also.

and amen to that.

I do not think any one religion should be in government more than others.

[edit on 10-4-2010 by riley]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
To me atheism is based on a flawed assumption, a leap of faith. It rejects the idea of a deity based on negative evidence - there is no evidence of God therefor God does not exist. Now a lot of people claiming to be atheists are really agnostics so there is some confusion there.

That is a rather over-simplified view of the matter. For example you miss the distinction between gnostic and agnostic atheism. I am an agnostic atheist when it comes to the generic idea of god(s) apart from any religion because I have no knowledge in the form of empirical evidence that such gods exist. Such gods might exist but this cannot be proven or disproven. This does not suggest equal probability of either possibility. The existence of god or gods is far from obvious.

I am however a gnostic atheist when it comes to gods created by humans such as the Abrahamic god and the gods of several other religions which I have studied in some depth because of logical proofs based on the descriptions of those gods and because their so-called holy books are veritable casebooks of pathological psychology, logical fallacies and degenerate "mortality". These religions to varying degrees engender a lot of problems while bringing very few workable solutions to the table.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Lilitu

Yes I simplified the distinctions, I admit that. If I have misrepresented atheism I apologize. What's important is your reason for not believing. If your reason for not believing is lack of evidence then your logic is flawed.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by cripmeister]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by cripmeister
If your reason for not believing is lack of evidence then your logic is flawed.

You seem to be making the assumption that knowledge or evidence for or against the existence of gods (in the generic extra-religious case) is unattainable and thus requires a leap of faith on the part of atheists to claim such gods do not exist but that is not the case. To say we cannot prove a god doesn't exist does not imply that such knowledge is unattainable, but only that we do not yet know what logical form such a proof might take or that we do not yet know where to look for such a proof. Again I am referring to generic gods. When it comes to the gods of known religions there are in fact many proofs these gods do not exist and the best proofs come right out of their own scriptures.

You also seem to be overlooking the default position in the logic of this. If I were to make the claim "there is an invisible magical elf living in my lingerie drawer", what would your default position be on this? Belief or disbelief? I can go on - leprechauns, pink unicorns, blue ponies anyone? Surely you wouldn't take an agnostic position about such claims. Surely your baloney detection kit would be beeping like mad. Why should we treat claims about invisible gods as being any different? As I said above, the fact we cannot prove existence or nonexistence does not imply an equal probability of either possibility being the correct position.

We humans have unrestrainably creative imaginations and a great talent for creating all manner of imaginary or mythical beings and creatures and breathing life into them. Knowing this is true, the only logical and sensible default position one can take with regard to mythic beings is one of unbelief. Got a pink unicorn? Show me! Got a god? Show me! I'm waiting but I'm not losing any sleep over it. I'm quite happy being godless.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Warning: Strong Language

Just wanted to lighten the mood. Its funny, but does offer a bit of opinion.

"The bible calls heaven eternal bliss. I don't care how blissful it is, its eternal. You'll get used to it, then you'll be ****in' bored."

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by cripmeister

I agree with some points here.

For example, a man being accused of a crime he may or may not have committed. However, because there is no evidence to prove he either did or did not commit the crime, who is to say whether he is guilty or not?

Perhaps not the best of analogies, but to me, the idea still relates.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ashtree
reply to post by cripmeister

For example, a man being accused of a crime he may or may not have committed. However, because there is no evidence to prove he either did or did not commit the crime, who is to say whether he is guilty or not?

Hopefully a judge and jury.

Just re-read your post where you say no evidence. My bad.. I thought you were talking about the pope.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by riley]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Lilitu

What we need to do is to agree upon a definition of agnosticism and atheism. Our views are not that different I think. The thing I have a problem with is belief when it comes to extraordinary claims be they ET visitation, ghosts, miracles etc.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

You keep your countries rules because you fear jail?

No. I am able to keep within the rules because I inherently behave ethically and treat others with as much respect as possible. I don't need fear as a method of managing my behavior.

" Man I might have to believe in God because I need someone to keep me in check "

" strait up..... Instead of having free rules... I'll just believe in God for the sole reason to keep my morals in check "

And that was my point. If you need to be "kept in check" from your own behavior then you have some fundamental problems with being immoral or unethical to begin with. People don't need to fear a god to be decent human beings. But I guess if that's the way you have to go about it then go for it and best of luck to you.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Because christianity is relevant to our lives.

We don't care as much about hinduism, Judaism, Islam, or witchdoctorism, because it's quite a bit more rare in the USA (especially "witchdoctorism -- whatever that is).

Christianity, on the other hand, represents something like 90% of americans. It's a huge percent, whatever it is, and it must be stopped, because it's really, really silly.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join