It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finland postal service to open mail and send scanned email copies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Finland postal service to open mail and send scanned email copies

www.teleg raph.co.uk

Finland's postal service is to begin opening household mail and sending scanned copies of letters by email to cut down on costs and pollution.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Yet another government office invading personal privacy. It may start out as voluntary, but it most likely it won't stay that way if the postal service profits from it.

Not even the most intimate love letters, payslips, overdue bills and other personal messages will be spared under the controversial scheme.

I don't see any good coming from this idea at all, just more jobs lost.

www.teleg raph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
so what are they going to do with packages?

all hail the second line.......

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
sigh

please read the date of publication - and reflect on it

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Hi!

I once worked for a while for Itella - talk about a public industry that has been privatised and then went totally wrong....! But they are competing against this forum - the internet and they will lose.....unitl it is closed down of course.

Wonder how many more invasions of privacy/stealth taxes are going to be undertaken under the banner of a so called 'green world/fight against terrorism?'

Airport taxes, showroom taxes, fuel taxes, road taxes, surveillance cameras....

Guess I had better behave now!

Peace!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'm not aware of law over there but isn't that illegal to open someone else's mail?

Anyhow, why would any country need a govt. agency to send emails?
what the hell????

Why wouldn't people just cut the middleman and send emails themselves?
It would arrive there faster, no one reading it, and would be free.
Is the intent of this business model failure?

Also aren't the people who still use snail mail mostly the people who don't have email????

There's more things wrong with this than I can count

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by IandEye
so what are they going to do with packages?

all hail the second line.......

That's a very good question, and one I wouldn't mind having answered as well. Maybe there's someone from Finland on ATS that can give us some insight on all of this. A copy of the postal agreement they are required to sign for this "service" would be nice.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Hi!

Well done!

Blush!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
For crying out loud

By Bruno Waterfield
Published: 7:07PM BST 01 Apr 2010

why are you taking this seriously ?????????????

some times i wonder

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

please read the date of publication - and reflect on it

That's possible, but the original article was apparently first published on March 30...

Itella to begin opening letters and delivering them via email

Note: This story - with its overtones of "post office opening your mail" - would lend itself easily to an April Fool's Day prank, but it should be noted that it was first released on March 30th, and seems to be perfectly legitimate and a means of reducing the physical deliveries of mail - something that the postal services would like to see happening in any case as increasing numbers of people use electronic invoicing for regular payments such as electricity bills.

Granted they do mention it only being a trial but it just doesn't seem like something that'll go over well with the general public.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

This is the date at the top of the linked page..

Monday 05 April 2010 | Finland feed

This is the date in the heading of the article.

By Bruno Waterfield
Published: 7:07PM BST 01 Apr 2010

This is the date posted within the article.

which starts on April 12 and runs until the end of the year.

Which other dates are you seeing? What am I missing??

Edit...

Well I might have taken it as a joke as well if they had posted it on the 1st. Since it is an important piece of information, I think they did well to wait a few days to post it.

[edit on 5-4-2010 by SheaWolf]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Its a noble idea* But unfortunatley, being the fact humans are running it all, dont be suprised if money or checks being sent are stolen and pocketed by the postal employees. Would have been better to simply set up an emailing wiring service or something. BEsides, what are they gunna do with the paper mail opened up???? they didnt mention specificaly if it was going to the garbage or recycled?
I myself recycle everything mail wise, in my weekly recycyling conatiner, been doing it for years, including junk mail, newspapers, bank statements with little or no info of course, paycheck envolopes things like that.
This should get a recommendation for being one of the dumbest ideas ever conjured up finland

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Hi!

Depends on the time code I guess. I run a laptop with UK time and my desktop with European time - if you are elsewhere.....

I'm quite happy to be caught out- Ignorant Ape was right.

Peace! (and still blushing)

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
This is in fact a TRUE report. However, it is only a trial for volunteered companys and persons at this point.

A quick web search to the Finland's postal service Itella shows the press release that came out on march 18, 2010.

However, it appears to be directed more at "commercial" mail, such as bills and invoices.

Here is the full report:

Itella Information’s scanning services expanding

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggy1706

This is the plan for the opened mail...

Finns who long for the scent and feel of stationery need not despair as once it has been scanned, correspondence will be returned to its envelope and delivered in the normal fashion. But the postman will only call twice a week at the homes of volunteer residents. Deliveries to mailboxes at a local store will be made three times a week.

Seems like a waste of time, the reduced deliveries per week is a better plan for over all savings and still preserves privacy.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Julie Washington

Hi,

Double blush!

In my earlier post I said I had worked for them - and being privitised money was the sole objective - rather than a service....

So on reflection;

1) Maybe not so much an invasion ofprivacy (although this is still questionable)

2) Just a means of reducing costs and making more profit?

But thank heavens for the internet....

Peace!

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Just thinking on it...

A government postal service that used this system would find itself sending much less mail. Many, if not most, people would find alternative ways of sending personal mail. I would rather have fewer deliveries per week than to have strangers pilfering it.

Why mail it snail mail in the first place if it's going to be emailed? Why not email it yourself in the first place? Why do you need the post office to send an email for you?

There are already places that offer "do it yourself" scanning/mailing services. Which is more private than having the post office do it for you.

Ok, ignorant_ape...it really does sound like a joke

edited to repair goofball mistakes...sigh

[edit on 5-4-2010 by SheaWolf]

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Had similar discussions with USPS a decade ago about similar processes. Companies might bulkload their paperless billing and the PO delivered electronic and or hardcopy. Nobody ever suggested opening hardcopy mail though

Five years ago maybe something like this made sense, today it's just a joke!

gj

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Yep - I confirm this news just 30 km from the village where they will test this system. In recent poll made about this new system there was 96% against this idea... Me too.

But we have full Orwellian population monitoring system on its way here, and already builded in total silence... Cameras has come everywhere and many kind of traffic surveillance have come too - Nokia is our corporation and with their systems, I think we are now mybe most monitored population in world.

NWO test ground - Finland.

posted on Apr, 5 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Okay, let's say you volunteer for this program. Yeah environment! Yeah technology! Not so fast.

Let's say a political activist friend of yours sends you a letter, a letter you are not expecting. The friend sends you snail mail because he/she is afraid email would be read by the government.

The letter contains politically embarrassing, and legally incriminating information concerning Police involvement in a big crime/scam.

Unknowingly to your friend, the Government is going to legally intercept that letter, open it, and scan it into their computer systems.

Unbeknown to any citizen, for National Security reasons the Post Office computers have been linked to their Government's Intelligence Services to "catch terrorists".

The Police have algorithm's searching all the scanned mail for all information concerning their crime, and the computer finds the scanned letter your friend sent to YOU.

The electronic record and the letter are erased from the system, and your friend dies from "suicide" the next day.

And you? You, have no idea why your friend killed himself, after all he said he had big news to send you... and you don't realize you are under close surveillance for the next several years. Better be careful what you say...

[edit on 5-4-2010 by harrytuttle]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join