It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking isn't bad for your health at all ?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I have a friend who has a PHD in Chemistry, psychology and one other that I don't recall. He was involved with DIA. He says that the whole smoking thing is a cover for other companies products that cause emphysema, lung cancer and other diseases. One of the main companies that cause these things is the Oil companies IE. burning gasoline and especially diesel. They all made a deal. Even today the federal government subsidizes the tobacco industry for taking the fall.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I smoke, and I believe it makes me look eben more intelligent than I actually are. And thats not just the nicotine talkin!

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Tobacco alone is not bad. When you add all of the chemicals, that's bad. That stuff was never meant to be burned and inhaled. You might as well be huffing smoke from a house fire. Organic tobacco is your best bet.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
What I say is smoke smoke smoke.

There is enough bad stuff happening in this world, so why not?

If you want to smoke, just do it. There are warnings about everything so forget it.

Just go away and have a nice peaceful smoke.

And forget all the warnings.

One more thing - is this world so nice? NOT. So, why care if you leave it sooner rather than later?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Inhaling any burning plant matter is going to be unhealthy...it's as simple as that imo. To the degree it is unhealthy may be open to question but that's about it, although nicotine itself has many health benefits at low dosages. Lots of info about nicotine and alzheimers out there.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Actually, smoking marijuana can help prevent cancer cells from forming and/or being fully created from what I remember. It was an article I read years ago, but I know it had the science to back it up. I could try and find it but I doubt I will be able too because it was so old. But if I do I'll post it.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
ive been a smoker for over 30 years but ive also been a strong proponent of marijuana use too ,recent studies show how the chemicals in cannabis when smoked or vaporised help protect the lungs along with many other beneficial side effects ..(check out rick simpsons running from the cure on youtube) ..i firmly believe that tobacco when used in its natural form produces a substance when smoked that helps protect the lungs by forming a mucus layer ,niacin, but personally im moving over to vaporising tobacco using a portable device called the iolite ..great for stealth use of sacred herbs too .

ive thought it odd for a few years now how the uk government has been hell bent on getting people to stop smoking ,whether this is to boost sales of nicotine patches and gums or to make more people sicker by the act of withdrawal im not entirely sure ,nicotine is more addictive than heroin and im sure most people will know about the withdrawal of such strong painkilling substances .

my main concern with tobacco use is this ..if i want to use it then no government has soveriegnty over my body as far as im concerned ..if i want to stick 200 ciggies in my mouth and light up then it should be none of their business ..in fact the more they say dont the more i want to ..just say no never worked for me back in the 80s and it wont work now .

here are is just a small list of peer reviewed work looking into the benfits of marijuana(cannabis ..marijuana is still reguarded as slang and derogatory)

Publications

Below is a list of published papers relating to clinical trials of Sativex. Papers are listed in chronological order. GW continues to submit papers for publication on a regular basis and this page will be updated as new publications emerge.

Rog D, Nurmikko T, Young C. Oromucosal delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol/Cannabidiol for Neuropathic Pain Associated with Multiple Sclerosis: An Uncontrolled,Open-Label, 2-Year Extension Trial. Clinical Therapeutics. 2007;29(9):2068-79.

Collin C, Davies P, Mutiboko IK, Ratcliffe S. Randomized controlled trial of cannabis-based medicine in spasticity caused by multiple sclerosis. European Journal of Neurology. 2007;14:290-6.

Wade DT, Makela PM, House H, Bateman C, Robson P. Long-term use of a cannabis-based medicine in the treatment of spasticity and other symptoms in multiple sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis. 2006;12(5):639-45.

Blake DR, Robson P, Ho M, Jubb RW, McCabe CS. Preliminary assessment of the efficacy, tolerability and safety of a cannabis-based medicine (Sativex) in the treatment of pain caused by rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2006;45(1):50-2.

Barnes MP. Sativex: clinical efficacy and tolerability in the treatment of symptoms of multiple sclerosis and neuropathic pain. Expert Opinion on Pharmacotherapy. 2006;7(5):607-15.

Rog DJ, Nurmikko TJ, Friede T, Young AH. Randomized controlled trial of cannabis medicine in central pain due to multiple sclerosis. Neurology. 2005;65:812-9.

Perras C. Sativex for the management of multiple sclerosis symptoms. Issues in Emerging Health Technologies. 2005;72:1-4.

Wade DT, Makela P, Robson P, House H, Bateman C. Do cannabis-based medicinal extracts have general or specific effects on symptoms in multiple sclerosis? A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study on 160 patients. Multiple Sclerosis. 2004;10:1-8.

Notcutt W, Price M, Miller R, Newport S, Phillips C, Simmons S, et al. Initial experiences with medicinal extracts of cannabis for chronic pain: Results from 34 'N of 1' studies. Anaesthesia. 2004;59(5):440-52.

Nicholson AN, Turner C, Stone BM, Robson P. Effect of Delta-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol and Cannabidiol on Nocturnal Sleep and Early-Morning Behavior in Young Adults. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology. 2004;24(3):305-13.

Brady CM, DasGupta R, Dalton C, Wiseman OJ, Berkley KJ, Fowler CJ. An open-label pilot study of cannabis-based extracts for bladder dysfunction in advanced multiple sclerosis. Multip

[edit on 28-3-2010 by eliteosbo]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
If marijuana has cancer fighting health benefits it doesn't really make much sense to smoke it as that comes with an assortment of it's own negative aspects,ingesting would be a much healthier way. Simply saying marijuana fights cancer hence it's alright to smoke is not a very logical argument.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Agreed...

Whilst cannabis may have a multitude of chemicals which may prevent or reduce the risk of cancer, inhaling any type of smoke over the medium to long term will often lead to emphysema...

And having watched someone slowly die from the effects of emphysema, I can honestly say its not on the top of my list of ways to die by any stretch...

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
the smoking of cannabis does in fact protect the lungs but not to the extent that vaporisation does ..oral ingestion has all round protective abilities dependant on the strain and thc /cbd ratio content

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

This is a letter from, William Campbell Douglass II, MD
He claims smoking can prevent cancer, protect your brain, it could alleviate heart attacks and strokes, It could literally save your life

How much are they paying him ?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Just so you know, I am a lifelong smoker, but this is the truth. We do know that if you have asthma smoking will stop your attacks. People with asthma that used to smoke never had an attack. People don’t like to talk about that. They say now so many more people have asthma then before, what has changed? Not as many people smoking. Just some info.You can’t generalize anything, it depends on the person. Some people smoke all their lives and never have a problem. Some people eat red meat and never have a problem. I hate medicine bottles that say "adults and children over 12 take 2 tablets". Is the 12 year old getting too much or am I getting not enough?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Of course sucking smoke into your body for any length of time can’t be good. Let’s be serious.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Smoking cigarettes is addcitive people smoke every day and numerous times a day, just about anything in excess can cause problems. Most anything in excess is not healthy, even too much exercise. As a women, I'll have to say chocolate in excess isn't bad but might put on weight. Does everyone who smokes get lung cancer? No, of course not, because it depends on other factors too such as genetic pre disposition to other addictions and overall lifestyle. Does it affect them in one way or another?
Yes, the yellowing fingers, "ash tray mouth", houses and clothes with smoke smell, rooms filled with smoke...more.

I've lost one family member to lung cancer(smoking, possible genetics and other lung exposures -asbestos), have one that has a hole in her throat(smoker) and two with COPD with potential Emphysema (smoker), one which has a very hoarse voice(chain smoker)...common of older smokers. Common though with not all, that there depends on type of cigs one smokes and other things they may have smoked.

On one positive note: I've seen addictive personality
people (not to say that everyone who smokes has an addictive personality)with anxiety and or ODC issues almost benefit by having a cigarette. As I'd rather see them doing that than smoking some kind of dangerous illegal drug... that may or may not hurt them health wise the same way-some probably will- but at least won't incriminate them or others around them.

OP, sounds more like the guy's site is pormotoing sales of his book would should be an obvious answer, as stated above about the topic.

[edit on 28-3-2010 by dreamingawake]

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I will not not smoke and never have. You do as you please, but i will never take it up.

You take your chances, and you do as you please.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Are you seriously saying smoking is not too bad for you? Sorry to say but William Campbell Douglass II is an idiot. Tobacco isn't what it used to be in the old days. They used to be much harsher because there was no chemicals in them.

Now, they have over 1,000 different chemicals.

Benzene, Formaldehyde, Ammonia, Acetone, Tar, Carbon Monoxide, Rat poison, Hydrogen cyanide.

Just look up those chemicals and tell me if smoking is not bad for you. Most of those chemicals are known to cause cancer.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I hate to give a star for this half-baked thread! But I did. Is someone seeing the
facts through a cloud of smoke?

To me this is an important battleground for the absolutely ridiculous
laws and attitudes surrounding addictive substances. therefore worthwhile
to draw attention.

There are some health benefits for nicotine. Thats not the same as smoking.
95% of the harm from tobacco comes from delivering it by
smoke.

Ironically, those that vehemently oppose smoking, also oppose safe
alternative delivery systems. Nicotine gum should be about $1.50 a
pack. Patches could be reasonable also. Tobacco inhalers have been
largely blocked. Even Nitrosamine free chewing tobacco has opponents,
though it has been shown to reduce health risks in Sweden.

Nicotine is poisonous, but not as poisonous as it is often portrayed. The LD50 is about
60 mg/Kg. Thats about 10 oz(280gm) of tobacco for a 70kg/150lb) person. Of course
a much smaller amount would be extremely unpleasant.

Society has taken a wrong headed approach to addictive substances. Moral issues are
implicit in the debate, but not acknowledged. The ancients recognized that
there were spiritual negative affects from alcohol. Behavioral problems were
connected with opium and even Marijuana. Moral concerns became attached.
In a secular society such as the USA, this is inappropriate for public policy.
Addictive substances should be approached from a strict cost benefit analysis.
What is the social cost? Let the users bear the social cost and
the public manage it.

If we would only recognize what the true drug crime was, our prisons could
be emptied and our streets safe. The real drug crime is profiting off human
weakness. This applies to the police, government, users, counselors, and any
one who makes a living directly or indirectly.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by warpcrafter
Cigarettes are expensive,

Would cigarettes be expensive if government wouldn't tax them so much?

What is the number one rule on conspiracy theories? FOLLOW THE MONEY.

If you demonize something enough, it is easier for government to make money from it. Hence the never ending misinformation campaign against tobacco.

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by wayaboveitall

This is a letter from, William Campbell Douglass II, MD
He claims smoking can prevent cancer, protect your brain, it could alleviate heart attacks and strokes, It could literally save your life

How much are they paying him ?

The real question is how far will some (government) go to shut him up?

posted on Mar, 28 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Deaths from excessive weight gain are similar in number to deaths from excessive smoking.

Here's one of the reasons why:

For any consumable;
Firstly, you want to consider pesticides used. Second, processing. And lastly, you should consider how much you do ANYTHING.

I smoke RYO cigs once in a while. Sometimes tobacco in a wood pipe. Sometimes in a water pipe. I drink some wine (hard liquor is a bit excessive in my own judgment), and beer every so often. Coffee is nice, but tea is amazing. Oh yeah, I developed a glass vaporizer to eliminate smoke. If anyone enjoys tobacco and wants to eliminate smoke AND IS OVER 18, hit me up through private messages.

These things are all substances that "happen" to affect the human body in differing, but stimulating ways. To say that they are corrupt inherently would be to say that massages are also corrupt because too much massaging would lead to your skin rubbing off and in the long-term, could cause cancer from the repeated irritation (smoking is more harmful because it is hot and often has added chemicals rather than because it is harmful itself).

But there is just so much stigma with the weak and the strong who do not help the weak. Everything is becoming so polar, and likewise, it is sadly difficult to find wisdom these days. I really wish the left and the right well, but I can't say that I wouldn't mind if they just canceled each other out. Know what I mean?

Balance. Balance expressed. Truth. Truth expressed.

[edit on 3/28/2010 by Dasher]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join