It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennhurst State, The Forgotten Hell

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Most people don't want to know about it because it's too hard to deal with. Hard issues usually are hard to deal with, but if we don't deal with them nothing is going to change the situation.

To most people such things are unthinkable and of course they are, which is why they continue to happen.

And those who perpetuate such crimes continue to get away with it due to the denial factor and the on going cover-ups.

Too often those who do try and bring this horrific stuff out into the light of day end up being vilified for their efforts, which discourages others from speaking out.

It's disgusting and heart breaking.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

I think that families who shrug their children off to the streets or state when they don't give birth to what is hoped for, should be executed where they stand and buried in an unmarked shallow grave, just like the stain on humanity that they are. You shouldn't be having children if you can't care for whatever the result of your efforts may bring. Many scum-bags use the excuse that it's too hard or too difficult so they would rather the children suffer unimaginable emotional suffering because they feel a little too inconvenienced to take care of their own or take the time out to show affection. To me, this is one of the worst crimes imaginable, right up their with child sex crimes and the central banking fraud (about on the same moral level of a lawyer).

Let's hope you never have to go to China or have Chinas 'one child per family' policy is in force. If it does ever happen to you, then let's hope that it is of no matter as to wether you have a boy or a girl.

In China, boys are more popular. Many girls are just dumped on the sides of the road or hidden away until they are no longer a problem.

The policy has been implicated in an increase in forced abortions and female infanticide, and has been suggested as a possible cause behind China's gender imbalance.

en.wikipedia.org...

And in reply to some of the other posts here,

Yes, being in a place like Pennhurst, day in, day out, would take a lot of strength to face the problems on a daily basis. Especially when you do ask for help and the government says no.

And don't forget that the majority of the problem seems to have come about at the time of the Vietnam war, so funds that could have saved the children of Pennhurst, and the site tiself, were probably directed towards the war effort instead.

This is a massive failure by those in control. Those who could have done something, did nothing. Others who tried to do something found their hands were tied by those who did not want to do anything (ie, financial support from the state etc)

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by wdavidb

Exactly. Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Unforunately, we humans tend to be extremely stubborn. Pennhurst is just one example of this kind of mental and physical neglect and abuse as was mentioned already in this thread.

Another great of this happening is at Eastern State Pentientiary where people were pretty much thrown into isolated cells and forgotten. Not to mention other "clinics" or "Hospitals" around the country that for decades people just used to dump off their mentally ill family members to forget about them. Places like Waverly Hills Sanitorium where people were basically used as guinea pigs. They would perform labotomies without anasthesia, inject people with toxic substances like mercury, etc.. These facilities were usually unsanitary and unfit for human habitation not just because of the deplorable conditions but because of the spread of diseases like Tuberculosis (called consumption back then).

I believe Waverly Hills was one of the locations in this country where people were basically lab experiments for research into "consumption". They'd try anything they could to keep people alive even if it meant months of physical and mental torture. And they would almost always inevitably die anwyay.

At Pennhurst State, the conditions were probably far worse than anywhere else though. Just considering all of the things that were going on.

People were forgotten about. From the accounts of people that have worked there and or seen these things for themselves, they almost can't even talk about it.

These were Humans living in their own wastes, facility employees raping and molesting children and older mentally ill patients, People would also be physically tortured if they "acted out". One of the most disturbing places in Pennhurst is the "Dentists Chair" where people's teeth were yanked out for punishment (plus whatever other beatings or torture took place there).

I'm not sure if this was previously mentioned but in 1968, an NBC reporter created a special about the Pennhurst State School entitled "Suffer the Little Children"".

Also check out the website this video is on. You can see the site home page here:

www.preservepennhurst.com...

On April 10, 2010 there is going to be a historical ceremony there.

Pennhurst's Historical Marker Dedication Ceremony will be held on April 10, 2010. Register now as space is limited!

You can see more information HERE .

I found it kind of interesting that Eastern State Penitentiary was actually mentioned in the NBC special.

-ChriS

[edit on 24-3-2010 by BlasteR]

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlasteR

I'm not sure if this was previously mentioned but in 1968, an NBC reporter created a special about the Pennhurst State School entitled "Suffer the Little Children"".

Also check out the website this video is on. You can see the site home page here:

www.preservepennhurst.com...

On April 10, 2010 there is going to be a historical ceremony there.

Pennhurst's Historical Marker Dedication Ceremony will be held on April 10, 2010. Register now as space is limited!

You can see more information HERE .
[edit on 24-3-2010 by BlasteR]

Yes the video by the NBC was mentioned in the OP. But thank you for pointing it out to people again.. It's kinda handy to have these links on other pages in case someone missed it the first time.

And that's a good find in regards to the service being held in April.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
As previously commented in this thread, abuse within institutions designed to care has and always will be widespread. Here in the UK we had the following case which defies belief.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Here in Mass. under the great liberal Governor and once presidential candidate M Stanley Dukakis, many institutions were closed. The 'inmates' were just turned out into the streets and now make up much of the 'homeless' population. Recently, when confronted with budget cuts and the peoples stated inability to pay more taxes (meaning give the government more money to waste) another of our great Democrat liberal leaders and current Governor Deval Patrick cut funding to DMR and other institutions that work with families with handicapped children.

I know because I have handicapped children and made it point when visiting my local DMR office to ask them how they felt about the phony Patrick now. I did this because I know they all would have campaigned for him.

"He promised us he would never cut funding for the disabled." came the reply. No shock there. Say anything to get elected, do anything once in office.

I know first hand the suffering people go through who have these children. Unless you're connected somehow, you have no recourse with the government, trust me.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Having visted the Pennhurst site on multiple occasions, the reference to Silent Hill is DEAD ON. The first time I saw that movie, references to my previous visits kept popping into my head. Anytime I disucss the movie, I always finding myself drawing parallels between the two. It is scary how much similarity there is...

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Who in their right mind decides to work for a prison? A mental asylum? People who stitch up the dead? Soldiers like private contractors? Works for body scanners at airports? Animal Slaughterhouse? Majority of them all have a "Killing" / "Torturing" / "Pedophile" mentality. No human in their right mind takes those jobs.
I have read this entire tread, Pennhurst was the Eastern PA facility, I work for the WESTERN PA mental health facility. I won't name it because I dont know if that would violate HIPPA laws. I will say from first hand knowledge that the mentally retarded are no longer treated the way they are in those videos. We use no restreaints, either physical or drug. Our people are constantly going out on trips and shopping. I take great offense at some of these posts. Yes things at Pennhurst were bad 50 odd years ago but we have learned and no longer treat the mentally retarded as "sub-human".

I asure you that I DO NOT have a Killing , Torturing and i am DEFINITLY NOT a Pedophile!!! To the person who wrote that you should come do my job. I take care of 8 men from the ages of 40 up to 86 and these guys call me Mom, and look to me for love and affection and help. How dare yo8u say that people in my type of job just wasnt to kill and torture?!

Valntine

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by valntine

Valntine, I am glad to hear that you do not share the same techniques in caring for those placed in your responsibility.

But lets be clear... Pennhurst was closed in 1987, a good portion of the investigation did not even kick off until the late 1970's...

These acts did not cease to occur "50 years ago"

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   

...and although it is sad to say... If it was not for the events at Pennhurst then the conditions and methods you are currently working in may never have come about.

Pennhurst forced a good, long, hard look at the entire state of affairs and helped to bring massive changes to the way this type of help is offered, provided and maintained.

I have no doubts that many of those who have worked in this field in the last 100 years have all wanted to do their utmost best, yet their co-workers were the ones who let everything fall apart.

It is a relief to know that you feel so strongly about the job you do, the person you are and what you wish to achieve. I thank you for all that you do and for all those you help.

May every day that you continue to do this, help to make up for the past mistakes of others.

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Here's some of my pictures from my expedition in 2009...
I didn't know the extent of the abuse when I was there, only afterwards.

I know that these images don't portray a hundredth of the eerie and haunting feeling you'd get from walking in those buildings, especially in the 21st century as they fall apart, but enjoy...

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Charlieslies88

Technically I was saying that the video Suffer the Children was roughly 50 years ago. But the point is that I was angry that some ppl would think that just because a person works in that field does not mean they went there specifically to hurt the clients. I realize that very bad things happened at Pennhurst and I know of instances in my own institution back in the 60's and 70's, But we have learned from them and strive to make our clients as happy and healthy as possible.

Valntine

posted on Mar, 24 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Be that as it may, a good many people seek employment at places like this for the sole purpose of unleashing their sociopath behaviors without interruption. If you deny this, and you feel that no one goes into these professions to do this, or at the very least, don't admit that some hide it very well, then you are just as guilty in my opinion. There may have been only 1 person in Pennhurst that committed vile acts while the others looked on, angry at those who accused them, but time went on and the vile acts spread like a disease.

Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that you're "angry" at any of this. The evidence is in front of you, over the span of centuries and even continues in some institutions to this day. Yet you choose to deny it and get angry at those who are appalled rather than become angry at the past transgressors. I would think that someone in your profession in these modern times would express immediate outrage over these occurrences for the purpose of awareness and atonement. I don't doubt that you seek to care and love those under your watch just like the many who stand by your side. However, I thought it was in the best interest of all in your profession to recognize the past, as a symbol of atonement and professionalism.

I think you're directing your resentment and anger at the wrong side of the field.

Regards..

[edit on 24-3-2010 by SyphonX]

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I had never heard of Pennhurst until reading this thread. Thank you for posting and bringing it to the attention of all who will find and read it.

It's hard to imagine the horror that all of these people had to endure at the hands of the ignorant professionals. Even without the knowledge that we have now, one would think that humans would have understood how to help others in need, without using so much cruelty.

And then, when the place was shut down, to just let them out to walk the streets...I don't have any answers as to where they should have been sent, but just turning them loose was nothing but cruel. Of course, whatever happened to them was probably way better than when they were locked up in hell.

I am amazed at the number of people who "don't want to talk about it". As it has been stated, "out of sight, out of mind". Extralien, you mentioned the holocaust - people would rather say that it never happened than believe that human beings could do something so cruel. The same will eventually happen with Pennhurst if the awful truth isn't kept out there as a reminder.

I have not had the time to check out all of the links provided, but my interest is piqued and I will be doing a lot of research on this and the others that have been mentioned.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Originally posted by Extralien

Originally posted by airspoon

I think that families who shrug their children off to the streets or state when they don't give birth to what is hoped for, should be executed where they stand and buried in an unmarked shallow grave, just like the stain on humanity that they are. You shouldn't be having children if you can't care for whatever the result of your efforts may bring. Many scum-bags use the excuse that it's too hard or too difficult so they would rather the children suffer unimaginable emotional suffering because they feel a little too inconvenienced to take care of their own or take the time out to show affection. To me, this is one of the worst crimes imaginable, right up their with child sex crimes and the central banking fraud (about on the same moral level of a lawyer).

Let's hope you never have to go to China or have Chinas 'one child per family' policy is in force. If it does ever happen to you, then let's hope that it is of no matter as to wether you have a boy or a girl.

In China, boys are more popular. Many girls are just dumped on the sides of the road or hidden away until they are no longer a problem.

The policy has been implicated in an increase in forced abortions and female infanticide, and has been suggested as a possible cause behind China's gender imbalance.

en.wikipedia.org...

And in reply to some of the other posts here,

Yes, being in a place like Pennhurst, day in, day out, would take a lot of strength to face the problems on a daily basis. Especially when you do ask for help and the government says no.

And don't forget that the majority of the problem seems to have come about at the time of the Vietnam war, so funds that could have saved the children of Pennhurst, and the site tiself, were probably directed towards the war effort instead.

This is a massive failure by those in control. Those who could have done something, did nothing. Others who tried to do something found their hands were tied by those who did not want to do anything (ie, financial support from the state etc)

I wasn't arguing for or against abortions, rather that when people actually do have a child, they need to take care of it, regardless of whether it inconveniences them or not. It is not the child's fault if that child didn't turn out to be what you hoped for. It is the parents' responsibility to provide everything for the children being brought into this world, not the state's responsibility. In fact, they are not only failing by handing responsibility over to the state or some institution but they are also failing because a lot of the responsibility can not get handed over. Things like love and affection. My point what that if you are going to be careless enough to bring an unwanted child into the world, then you need to straighten up enough to raise that child. It is no longer about "you" but rather the child.

As far as China, there are many more abortions but I certainly think that is much better that bringing a suffering child into the world. Also, many Chinese citizens do have more than one child, they just pay a hefty fine. The goal for that particular Chinese program is to implement a reduction to the future population and by having an imbalance of sexes, they are just going to reduce their population a little more efficiently.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
The way some people are treated is disgusting.

People cannot help the way they or born or the way their mind functions.

The people in this institution were and are some of the most vulnerable people in our society, and as "civilized" people, we are bound by a duty of care to protect or assist those who need help the most, especially those physically and mentally unable to help themselves by birth or genetics.

I'm not a "do-gooder" but I can't fathom how people can be treated so cruelly; yes, we understand more today than they did then about psychology and disability but surely human decency should always win out. Disgusting that the perpetrators were able to get away with it. Disgusting that the victims and families had to endure and still live with this cruel treatment. I repeat the word "disgust" because to me, that is the only word that describes this.

A person should not be beaten just because someone gets "frustrated" with them. How frustrating is it for the victim to be unable to communicate needs and desires, fears, pain, joy, and sadness? To be locked up, restrained, through no fault of their own? Even convicted, proven criminals, rapists, sadists and murderers are treated with more dignity and respect than this.

S&F for this post OP.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
there are several things that i dont like here why is no one bein charged for crimes that are so obvious.2.these kids are making this so called money, how much does penhurst get?johnnys iq is 69 and they couldnt get him up to speed and called him retarded in the sense he had no education and his parents were deliquents.then here comes the whole religon thing i though with religon you were expose to accept all people but the catholics cant accept a retarded aid? 75 cents went to the care of the kids and the rest went to lining adminstrative pockets and yet still no charges these people could be working with kids right now

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I became fascinated by Pennhurst after finding this topic and coming across the pictures at Opacity by Mott:

Opacity Pennhurst pictures

I often search this website for pictures from abandoned buildings, I'm attracted to the eerie feelings and long lost emotions that come with such pictures. I never heard about Pennhurst before I came across this topic and reading the posts combined with some digging (on the internet, of course) I was slightly disturbed by the information and graphic material about Pennhurst. I'm horribly amazed by the fact the actual people who commited these crimes in the past never received any form of punishment; although I'm not sure if mere punishment would have an effect... To treat/abuse people like that they must have been mentally ill themselves at least..

I came to the sad conclusion however that people fail to learn from past failure a long time ago (that concerns a lot of topics concerning humanity), and I hope dearly that no such living hell will re-occur today.

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kyouki

I often search this website for pictures from abandoned buildings, I'm attracted to the eerie feelings and long lost emotions that come with such pictures.

I just want to mention to you that a photographer named Jeremy Harris has made a slideshow of 32 photos taken in abonadoned hospitals and asylums in US, and his pictures are amazing.

"Carriage", from Worcester State Hospital:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d9d07b32fbf7.jpg[/atsimg]

To view the rest of the slideshow, visit www.jeremyharris.com...
(click "portfolios" then "projects")

posted on Mar, 25 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Thank you so much for that link!
Some new pictures to enjoy on a boring afternoon with a cup of coffee.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join