It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Supports DNA Sampling Upon Arrest

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Obama Supports DNA Sampling Upon Arrest

www.wired.com

Josh Gerstein over at Politico sent Threat Level his piece underscoring once again President Barack Obama is not the civil-liberties knight in shining armor many were expecting.

Gerstein posts a televised interview of Obama and John Walsh of America’s Most Wanted. The nation’s chief executive extols the virtues of mandatory DNA testing of Americans upon arrest, even absent charges or a conviction. Obama said, “It’s the right thing to do” to “tighten the grip around folks” who commit crime.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Yet another example of Obama blatantly lying during his campaign. I swear he has done the opposite of nearly everything he said he would do.

Guilty until proven innocent is the America we are becoming.

This dna collection may not seem like that big of a deal now to some. But we are only a few years away(if it does not aready exist secretly) from being able to target specific dna with designer viruses. The implications of the government having every citizens DNA with that kind of capability are very scary.

How much of this destruction of our freedoms are people going to take?

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-3-2010 by proximo]

[edit on 14-3-2010 by proximo]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by proximo

Yet another example of Obama blatantly lying during his campaign.

What was the lie? Not that I support this DNA thing, I absolutely do not. But what is the lie?

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
See I just had an idea, you must have heard about the three DNA experiments conducted that prove there is a link between our 'physical' body and the 'DNA' sample they took.

(Goes over them briefly in this video: www.youtube.com...)

Wouldn't it be possible to have a giant 'lab' somewhere monitoring every DNA sample they have, with the computer 'flagging' up wierd activity from the sample?

Which they could then use to see what emotions we are feeling et cetra?

Then couldn't it also work in reverse, if our body can alter a DNA sample of ours thousands of miles away, couldn't the DNA sample alter our body thousands of miles away.

Therefore, if you subject all the DNA samples in this 'lab' to a certain frequency, pressure or add additional substances you can alter our moods and how we feel?

[edit on 14-3-2010 by UniToxic]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
omg sampling dna, i also heard they were going to do random checks and sampling in airtports.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
upon arrest, even ABSENT CHARGES or a conviction?

whats to stop them from randomly pulling over/stopping people to get a sample? and you know damn well they would do this! and they'll probably profile while they do it too!

this pisses me off and makes me want to go vigilante on those who would help put this into place.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by UniToxic

Excellent thinking, Ive often wondered that myself. Even if your dna is far away from you, it is still your dna and is connected to you. Manipulation of your dna from far away to me seems very possible. They take mine, thats when I say no and stand up for what I see as right, I would consider that such an assult on me! I would take action forsure.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Yikes, Im scaring myself here but Im kind of ok with this. DNA has saved countless lives by being in a database, matching killers before they can kill again, and exonerating people. I don't really understand why we don't do this already.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
it will be part of a national database,and eventually a world database.not good .Imagine the possiblities once in place.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
how is dna sampled? is it done from a blood sample or can it be done using saliva on a swab stick?
if the latter is true then this has been going on in uk police stations for a few years now.
around 5 or so years ago i was arrested and charged for something they said i'd done. at the police station i had my fingerprints taken and swabs were taken from inside my mouth and up my nostrils.
i dont recall asking why they do this. i always assumed it was to keep a dna record of criminals.
can a saliva sample be used to obtain a dna profile?

they do the same at hospitals when attending a pre-op check. swab stick things up the nose before you have time to object, the explanation is they are screening for infections/viruses before you are admitted for your surgery.

i thought these were common procedures in most countries now, obviously not.

in the event of no conviction, what happens to the information the police have on a person? such as fingerprints and dna profiles?
i bet it dont get destroyed.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

The ones at the hospital are for cultures, unless the National Hospital system is in on it.

But the ones at the police stations are definitely dna sample collection.

Let me see, how could this go wrong. Well just one example, your dna was found at the crime scene, no way to disprove that huh?

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
They will be able to collect anyones DNA without a court order. Since no charges have to be filed, they can just come to your house, and put you under "arrest", take your DNA sample and they say oh we got new info that clears you so you don't have to come to the station.

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer
They will be able to collect anyones DNA without a court order. Since no charges have to be filed, they can just come to your house, and put you under "arrest", take your DNA sample and they say oh we got new info that clears you so you don't have to come to the station.

S+F
Pretty much right on. Got to love how we are being treated like animals now. Take DNA samples to predict if we are going to be violent? Seriously, because human beings can't understand consequence and logic right? We must have lost our morals and decision making capabilities? This is just great!

"Do you wonder whether DNA sampling is legal?

The courts have already upheld DNA sampling of convicted felons, based on the theory that the convicted have fewer privacy rights. The U.S. Supreme Court has held that when conducting intrusions of the body during an investigation, the police need so-called “exigent circumstances” or a warrant. That alcohol evaporates in the blood stream is the exigent circumstance to draw blood from a suspected drunk driver without a warrant."

[edit on 22-3-2010 by Smell The Roses]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
well again i can only comment from the australasian point of view. i was arrested last year for what should have really been a misdemeanor. i went to the station to get processed and went through the normal formalities, statements, photos and finger printing. i hadnt been arrested for qute a few years and this time there was a new addition... a friendly mouth swab. i was extremely hesitant of this and show signs of unwillingness, they then proceeded to tell me my options should i choose to decline. i cant remember exactly what those options were but i felt threatened enough to let them do it. by this stage i was plain anxious to just get the hell out of there. cops just totally creep me out. what people in the u.s might also not know is that we already have a system in place similar to random alcohol breath testing at police checkpoints. we have the exact same buses and blocks as the breath testing but these buses are random drug testing buses. as concern was raising over drug related road accidents this test seemed needed for the publics greater good. so in the weekend, long weekends and public holidays our police force are combating driving under the influence with there little swabs. id say that if this random drug testing will arrive on your shores soon if not already. Time to invest in a pushy perhaps?

top topics

join