It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoax broadcast causes panic in Georgia

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

Patarkatsishvili called Saakashvili "dangerous", as well as his regime "dangerous" on international (well, CIS and Russian) broadcasts, and ran in complete opposition to the current President. How is that not "critical"?

As for the current owner it's part of Murdoch's News Corp, information which is very easily found all over the internet. News Corp, traditionally, supports Russia and Russian interests when it comes to CIS matters, so it would make no sense for them to support the Saakashvili.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Don't know if someone already mentioned this but, maybe they made a mistake and aired the story too soon? Like the BBC did with Building7 Now they're covering up by saying it was a hoax.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by VneZonyDostupa
As for the current owner it's part of Murdoch's News Corp, information which is very easily found all over the internet. News Corp, traditionally, supports Russia and Russian interests when it comes to CIS matters, so it would make no sense for them to support the Saakashvili.

There is no clear owner yet, and there is a legal battle going on for the ownership of the station. But the Georgian government does not have to own it to be in control of it right now. Judging by the station's typical recent broadcasts it tow's the government's line. I don't see any indication that it is biased towards opposition right now.

And what would be the point of this broadcast if it was pro-opposition. Granted of course that there is no point for this broadcast at all - somebody must have been high as a kite to think it was a good idea.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This is just another small piece of the globalist efforts - they are inciting fear to cut down liberties of people and get more control.

Georgia is an extremely strategic location - the US based globalists want to ensure they have it in an iron grip - they will be doing everything they can to make people fear and distrust the Russians.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
This is outrageous.

The manipulation of extreme emotion to show people why they need protection?!?!

Screw them...do we know of any government (corporate government) interests to the media broadcast?

This smells worse than much of what I have heard.

They must be desperate.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
when i hear stuff like this i feel like my mind is deying it and i guess thats how the government wants us to be .

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
God, before I entered the thread I thought you meant Georgia, USA. Stupid me. More seriously, this is a terribly alarming use of propaganda, and a demonstration of how susceptible to it we are, as a species.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I don't think this HOAX is all fun and games.
There are some "Junior Eagles" -- which is basically under 40 donators to the RNC who ponied up a lot of money, that are going to Georgia to train with Blackwater (Xe) to "fight off terrorists." Basically, handling mounted machine guns on trucks and playing urban warfare games.

>> When you've been playing at a soldier of fortune, listening to Glenn Beck, and primed to go off -- how cute is one of these "OMG -- we are being invaded!" going to be when some person goes off the edge and takes it all seriously?

There needs to be some criminal prosecutions on people in the Media who create such inflammatory stories and don't let people know they are "just testing." Just testing may be right -- just testing to see if someone is radicalized enough to go trigger happy.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst
I don't think this HOAX is all fun and games.
There are some "Junior Eagles" -- which is basically under 40 donators to the RNC who ponied up a lot of money, that are going to Georgia to train with Blackwater (Xe) to "fight off terrorists." Basically, handling mounted machine guns on trucks and playing urban warfare games.

This could be a new generation of Proxy Wars

A proxy war or proxy warfare is a war that results when opposing powers use third parties as substitutes for fighting each other directly.

Read the Wiki article it's simple and based on Cold War politics, but with the way our weird military contractors work it is a close analogy.

You had a great idea. Because basically Georgia is on "our" side (the western world) also look at the Ukraine. Someone or entity is definately trying to destabilze the former soviet bloc nations.

Thanks for bringing my focus to this. I am a graduate of political science and I haven't thought this indepth about international relations(Minor) in years.

Star if I can figure out how...

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I just want to say thank you to all those who shared their thoughts, some wee really interesting and enlightening.
Maybe we will never know what's behind what happened, but whomever planned this is either just VERY stupid or CRIMINAL, and there's nothing half way between the two.
This has been done to innocent people who actually experienced the REAL terror that you can feel during some military invasion, and also hurted Russia, that had nothing to do with it: this sounds and screams as propaganda at its worse level, and while I don't like to feed conspiracies (yes I know, it sounds funny from the mouth of a conspiracy master), I DO believe this has been done purposely.
Russia didn't appreciate the "joke", anyway.

Russia has condemned as "irresponsible and immoral" a Georgian TV hoax about a Russian invasion.

Panic was sparked in Georgia after the Imedi TV station broadcast news that Russian tanks had invaded the capital and the country's president was dead.
The broadcast rekindled memories of the 2008 war between Russia and Georgia.
Russia's foreign ministry said Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili approved of the hoax. The ministry accused Tbilisi of "political paranoia".
Georgia's mobile phone networks were overwhelmed with calls on Saturday, and many people rushed onto the streets.
Pro-government Imedi TV said the aim had been to show how events might unfold if the president were killed. It later apologised.
The head of the holding company which owns Imedi TV, George Arveladze, said he was sorry for the distress that the TV report had caused.
For a brief moment on Saturday evening many Georgians thought history was repeating itself, the BBC's Tom Esslemont in Tbilisi says. It is only 18 months since Russian tanks came within 45km (28 miles) of the Georgian capital, our correspondent adds.
In its news report, Imedi TV showed archive footage of the war and imagined how opposition figures might seize power after an assassination of President Saakashvili.
Although the broadcast was introduced as a simulation of possible events, the warning was lost on many Georgians, our correspondent says.
One local news agency reported that emergency services had received an unusually high volume of calls in the ensuing minutes.
And once calm returned, the report was seen by some as a poorly disguised swipe at the Georgian opposition politicians who recently travelled to Moscow to meet Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin.
Mr Arveladze told Reuters news agency that the aim was to show the real threat of how events might unfold.
That did not stop dozens of journalists and angry Georgians who gathered outside the Imedi TV studios to protest.
One opposition politician who was there labelled the report "disgusting".

What happened is worse than it looks to be, in my humble opinion.
Thanks again,
-internos

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

There was a similar 'test' in Dorset UK, same general public reaction - panic!

www.dorsetecho.co.uk...

All is for a specific purpose and never accidental!

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Crazy Stuff Thanks for the post.
S&F

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

it shows the power of the media. It doesn't matter what is real, it all depends on what you are TOLD is real by the media.

Well the PTB tried to stir up a war a year or two back blaming Russia for 'starting an invasion' of Georgia, remember? It turned out to be lies and a load of bunk. I can see why the people there are frightened due to past experience but it looks like certain war mongers in Georgia are trying to stir up the people again.

I am a little surprised that the people near Russia have any faith or belief in their media at all. Russians have often said they never believed anything the media told them and they learned to read between the lines and decode official pronouncements to make sense of news. This Georgian president needs to be replaced; why they are trying to stir up engagement with Russia is not clear.

posted on Apr, 17 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   

I bet the station ratings were through the roof though! Did they break away a few times for important messages from their sponsors?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join