It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11/03/10 Independent News & Media Ltd. in bankruptcy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
We THINK they've gone out of business. Sources tell me that this is what has just happened to the company that owns the Independent and Independent on Sunday newspapers in London.

They have defaulted on over £100 million of debts over 5 times, and now they've run out of money.

For specific confirmed information please do not comment, and wait for the full post, with full information from the "mole" in London which will be in within the hour.

Watch this space.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
It is important to remember that your source for this information be part of your post.

Linky

This is speculation, albeit a well-founded one.

I'll stay tuned.

PS: Another Another Linky

[edit on 10-3-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
That's a heck of a lot of money to default on.

Although, why should anyone care. After all, the money is simply arbitrary 1's and 0's on a computer, that are exchanged for more arbitrary 1's and 0's. Or, if it's 'real world' then they're just exchanging arbitrary PROMISARY NOTES (IOU's), for goods and services.

It's going to be interesting to see who "snaps up" this media group for a bargain price, and what becomes of them.

I for one, am going on record now as saying that who ever does buy them up (or replaces them), will be a corporate lackey doing the bidding of the Gov't...

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Kinda ironic that someone calling themselves "Independent" goes bankrupt.

Seems they weren't very independent at all, but rather dependent on money.

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Thank you for your noted post Forum Moderator Maxmars. I have had just a 30 second phone call with someone in London, he has no new information on the Lebedev fire-sale price information (if it was able to go ahead), and wishes to remain anonymous. This (would) be insider trading or something out of order if I publicized it, so thank you for your moderation - noted, Maxmars, and I will present the information as I know it, now without anonymous party assistance, during the course of the night.

OPERATION FIGHTBACK - Independent Newspaper

has just emerged on YouTube
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDailyPlanet

No problem at all.

Please do not misunderstand my intent.

You may most certainly feel free to say even things you only 'heard of'.

But expect someone to occasionally ask regarding the source of your thread.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
This is the newspaper that printed a cartoon sword graphic of Gordon Brown just about to kill a woman, with a sword, and she was half-naked and there was blood on his sword (from the victim before), in the depiction. This caused the murder of a woman in America 2 weeks later. No further proof.

They also used an inappropriate word instead of "MELTDOWN" and that sadly inspired the bloodshed of over 100 people in a hotel, by a man with a machine-gun.

And there's more I know and believe, making the difficulties far worse for them, in my opinion.

They won't stop. I created this thread after receiving another "knives are being sharpened" alert from independent.co.uk, and analysing the financial picture. That was the last newspaper in the world to do that, the only newspaper internationally yesterday in my press email feed, and there have been no more knife metaphor cacophemisms breaches by any media organisation worldwide. After the Dacregate scandal went global, on this website - (in General Conspiracies section).

They defaulted on £100million+ bonds many, many times.

Any investors in this company out there, I am sorry to bring you worrying news. Hopefully the Lebedev possible bid may give some hope that there may be some percentage rescued for you in the pound.

[edit on 11-3-2010 by TheDailyPlanet]

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Look, here's the phone number for the Chief Operating Officer, Gavin O'Reilly.

+353 1 466 3200

I first had dealings with the O'Reilly's, when I wrote once to his father, Sir Anthony O'Reilly, years back, who is now retired.

The origins of Independent News & Media were a fortune built by Sir Anthony that had started with the investments of his profits from being a rugby star into setting up a newspaper company.

Ask Gavin for yourself if they've got any money.

Hopefully they've some, at least. So they can keep paying the printing and paulping for recycling bills.

Mr. Lebedev may consider a partnership with me, if he wishes to. My direct cellphone is 07958 471943, and maybe together we could set up a paper-based newspaper here in the UK.

I know Mr. Lebedev, who I have not spoken to so far, already owns the London Evening Standard.

We are very close indeed to raising the monies we need, which is less than £150,000, in launching our own international and national (UK) newspapers on the internet ourselves.

If Mr. Lebedev wishes to phone me, regarding this offer, he is welcome and I'd be happy to talk.

posted on Mar, 11 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
The insolvency refers to IN&M PLC (a global company) previously with a value of in excess of £1 billion, it was once worth over two billion dollars.

Like MaxMars said this is only the speculation of TheDailyPlanet.

This is a global company, they publish over 70 newspapers all over the world.

Apparently, sales in titles other than the London Independent titles, had been going at least “not too bad”, running at a profit, with hundreds of millions of pounds of profits paid out to investors.

But now, there may be a problem of gigantic proportion for the global holding company, due to the direstraits – that's what I think – of the London titles.

There would be a lot of jobs at stake and it would be a great sadness to see the end of a global newspaper empire.

But I do not think that the Independent or the Independent on Sunday titles have a future.

To use an old metaphor, I think that these titles have “blood on their hands”.

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
PIECE OF BLANK PAPER SLIPPED INTO THE PRINTING PRESSES

ON SAME DAY THAT CARTOON MURDER GRAPHIC WAS PRINTED OF GORDON BROWN MURDERING WOMEN WITH SWORD, AND THE ARTICLE WAS ALSO PUBLISHED ON SAME DAY "HOW THIS PERSON TAUGHT ME TO KILL IN FOUR MOVES"

www.independent.co.uk...

I made the following posts,

A RISK OF KNIFE METAPHOR CACOPHEMISM CONFUSION
[info]peterdew wrote:
Saturday, 19 September 2009 at 12:51 pm (UTC)
"In antisocial behaviour we may goad each other, we may push each other, but we're still communicating," he says. "Asocial behaviour is where the head drops, the knives come out, nobody talks, and you're just trying to end another human being. Those are the events that I am talking about, those are the events that people come to me for."

For starters, I don't think methods of killing should be given publicity.

Now, in the above quoted text the chap mentions "the knives come out". However, many readers will no doubt be aware that there is a knife metaphor cacophemism that newspapers have used - "the knives are out", and there is another cacophemism which has been used by some media "knives come out".

Seeing those phrases cropping up so often in the press - and the Daily Mail has done this the most and in the 'biggest' fashion - how are youngsters to know whether you are referring to the metaphorical allegorical knives, or real knife weapons. In any case, is it not clear that knife violence must not be promoted.

And, whilst making this comment, come on, newspapers. These knife metaphors are unhelpful in the work against violence. Independent, I don't think you should put "Knives are out" or "Knives are being sharpened" in your headlines or article body text, for blatantly obvious reasons, another example, Telegraph front page headline "Plot to knife Brown ends in failure" - really? The plot to commit knife crime against Brown ends in failure? No, there is no knife crime commited against Brown, do you expect EVERY single person walking past that headline in their newsagents to realise that these are knife metaphor cacophemisms, and they are not literally intended? Because to confused youngsters, you're telling them - this is the countenancing of knife crime.

Free publicity to a man who teaches people how to kill
[info]peterdew wrote:
Saturday, 19 September 2009 at 01:49 pm (UTC)
I'm completely gobsmacked that the Independent has chosen to run this article.

The Independent is giving publicity to a man who teaches people how to kill.

It is not clear that these are for self-defence purposes, it is not clear at all.

And as I have already said, I believe they may be a problem with the Independent's use of "Knives are out" as headlines.

I'm sorry but I personally I am losing sympathy fast for the publishers of this newspaper.

The fact that the article has been published has left me quite upset.

I cannot believe you went to press with this!
[info]peterdew wrote:
Saturday, 19 September 2009 at 01:52 pm (UTC)
I quote the free publicity you gave this man, look at the words he uttered:-

"Asocial behaviour is where the head drops, the knives come out, nobody talks, and you're just trying to end another human being.

Those are the events that I am talking about, those are the events that people come to me for."

I cannot believe you went to press with this, I am very shocked.

This is an outrage
[info]peterdew wrote:
Saturday, 19 September 2009 at 05:39 pm (UTC)
I am feeling very let down.

Not only have you gone to press with an article where you give free publicity to a man that assists people with situations like "the knives come out". I see in the printed paper on page 31 there is a grotesque cartoon covering half the page depicting very unkindly, a Gordon Brown - with rolls of fat on his body, holding and depicted just on the point of weilding a huge sword, already depicted dripping with blood, grasping the hair of a terrified woman, shown with her top half completely naked.

Furthermore, I see on page 12 of Sport, there is an article that I might have wanted to read about Gary Player, the golfer, and 50% of the article is obscured by what looks like a piece of paper which has got in the way of the printing plates, rendering the article totally unreadable.

What are the implications for violent crime, printing cartoon violence of the Prime Minister murdering women, of publicising a man who will teach people the best method for effective killing, and indeed - your regular usage over many years of the knife metaphor cacophemisms "Knives are out", "Knives are being sharpened" [in the context of the preparation for kniving], and "Knives out". There is much information on the internet about the problems of this metaphor, (you can search "knife metaphors" on google and the information is there]

I am going to have to make another communication to your publisher, Mr. Gavin O'Reilly, and another communication to the Managing Editor, Mr. Simon Kelner, because this is simply repulsive. I am returning the printed newspaper I bought today, to request a refund, including my postage costs, and I will consult with my solicitors over this matter too now (in addition to my possible pending action against the Daily Mail newspaper).

[edit on 12-3-2010 by TheDailyPlanet]

[edit on 12-3-2010 by TheDailyPlanet]

posted on Mar, 12 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Not only have you gone to press with an article where you give free publicity to a man that assists people with situations like "the knives come out". I see in the printed paper on page 31 there is a grotesque cartoon covering half the page depicting very unkindly, a Gordon Brown - with rolls of fat on his body, holding and depicted just on the point of weilding a huge sword, already depicted dripping with blood, grasping the hair of a terrified woman, shown with her top half completely naked. Furthermore, I see on page 12 of Sport, there is an article that I might have wanted to read about Gary Player, the golfer, and 50% of the article is obscured by what looks like a piece of paper which has got in the way of the printing plates, rendering the article totally unreadable.

Within two weeks, the report came into my press account email about a woman who had been murdered with a sword. This was the result of an edition of the paper that:-

(i) had an article early on in the edition about teaching people the best way to kill people.

(ii) had a grotesque cartoon of Gordon Brown about to try to murder a woman with a sword.

(iii) had a blank piece of paper slipped into the printing presses on an alternate page. I know exactly what that means.

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
The video posted earlier to this thread on Youtube was not made by the Independent, but by a group of furious protestors.

I have been unable to upload to Youtube, after difficulties encountered with the logon. There are so many email addresses now operated by our organisation, that it will require yet another created to allow an available access in, enabling uploading.

Hoping that Lebedev, the newcomer in the market, may give me a call to look at my offer, which is on the table.

[edit on 15-3-2010 by TheDailyPlanet]

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
OK so no call from Lebedev.

Whether Lebedev himself is corrupt I don't know.

However, I do not buy the paper so I cannot really be 100% certain.

Certainly Roger Alton, the Editor, needs to be dismissed immediately.

Lebedev needs to exercise his power fast in this regard else he too is not just sinking under water himself financially - but faced with near certain implosion of his own group.

Face it man, it's a fact. There is a new editor in soon, but you have to read this thread to see the problem that now faces Lebedev. The newspaper was once good, but was destroyed by Mr. Alton, who now of course face jail. So Lebedev it's up to you.

Meanwhile, at the Daily Mail, Virgin Group has pretty much pulled out of advertising with them. Virgin Media can still be seen to, but you can see even their advertising spend reduced with this newspaper.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
How did printing a drawing of Gordon Brown with a sword cause a woman to be murdered?
Or where they didn't use the word "MELTDOWN" and it caused a guy to shoot people with a machine-gun? I must have missed something.

edit: So the murder happened in America?

I can't tell if you're being serious or not. I read your other threads and this seems to be a common theme with you so.. lol. good luck with that.

[edit on 21/4/10 by Nventual]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
They're still printing the newspaper, and I don't know who now owns it, or how they manage to keep on printing it if the sales decline is what I think it is.

I have seen some tempting front cover stories recently on the front, reminding me of how the Independent used to be, but quite frankly I really can't purchase this newspaper in view of what happened, under the editorship of Mr. Roger Alton.

I phoned Mr. Gavin O'Reilly's office, the CEO, and he failed to issue memos to his newspaper group staff asking them not to issue knife metaphors. In my opinion the once well-respected Independent flagship newspaper of the group, has been tarnished beyond repair and I think they should close.

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I have been notified of the following in my press email inbox from the Independent:-

Knives out for Malema?
Independent Online
By Mercury Correspondents Rebel African National Congress Youth League members in Julius Malema's home province of Limpopo on Sunday declared war on the ...

I regret to inform the new proprietors of Independent News & Media (UK) Ltd. that it is now pretty much impossible to prevent a second bankruptcy at the Independent, due to Lebedev's failure to get rid of Simon Kelner and Roger Alton.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS NEWSPAPER, OR PURCHASE ADVERTISING SPACE. THE INDEPENDENT SHARES THE SAME BUILDING AS THE DAILY MAIL NEWSPAPER, WHICH OWNS A STAKE, AND BOTH THE DAILY MAIL AND THE INDEPENDENT CAN EXPECT TO HAVE THE BAILIFFS KNOCKING ON THE DOOR VERY VERY SOON.

top topics

join