It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If The Bible Stories Were True, Then What?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
If Christians have proven that everything that happened in the Bible to be true, then what?

Ufologists will say that they were the works of the aliens.
Some skeptics will say that they were the works of an advanced human beings.
Religious people will say they were the works of a supreme being(s)..
Occam's razor applies here.

For instance, this thread about the Noah's ark being discovered (doesn't matter whether it's real or not). If we had discovered this ark intact and in perfect condition. What would the skeptics say?

Christians would tell us this - “SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE? That is what we have been trying to tell you!!! The Bible stories are true!”

Imagine all the stories being proven true.

Here's a hypothetical story:

I was a member of an amazon tribe who have never been in contact with anyone from outside. My tribe have never seen any kind of technology. My friend have been trying to convert me to his beliefs in gods. He told me stories of flying things and that people ride on them (helicopters, planes, etc). He told me stories about tall buildings made of stone and weapons that 10000's of our weapons can not match. He said that they were made by the gods.

Now this friend led me to this place. I saw all of that. He told me, “SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE? I am right! Gods are real!”

The skeptic in me will say, “Well, that only proves that there are beings, even human beings, that are superior in knowledge. Doesn't prove the supernatural gods. Only proves that they have more knowledge than us.”

Christians like to present “proofs” that some of the stories in the Bible are real, especially the Noah's ark. Just what if they have proven even few of them are to be true? I have often asked this question to some of my Christian friends.

If it's true, then what?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Doesn't the Bible say that Christianity is a test of faith? Isn't your faith what gets you into Heaven? You know, believing that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins? Some Christians will tell you that that is pretty much all you need to do to go to Heaven. No need to read the Bible. No need to do good deeds? Ten Commandments? Forget about them. If we get some facts, then it's no longer about faith; it's about fact. So if we start getting some facts, like finding the Ark of the Covenent, finding the Holy Grail, deciding the Shroud of Turin (sp?) is a true picture of Christ, finding Noah's Ark, finding gravesites of Biblical characters, etc., then it's no longer a matter of faith, it's a matter of fact.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
If the Bible is true...then what? I'm going to heaven.

If the Bible is not true? Then I'll be known as a man that loved his family, his neighbors, helped others, told the truth, tried to do right...apologized when he didn't, generous, loving, helped even strangers, worked hard, loved his country.... was never perfect but tried to aspire to perfection.

All in all...not too bad. Now my question for you...

If you don't believe in what the Bible says, and it is true...then what for you?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
if the bible is true, then we must be already in HELL

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

I realize that the world is not a perfect place, but is your life here really that bad? Is your life really a hell? Not being sarcastic or antagonistic...just wondering?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ivorywire

Doesn't the Bible say that Christianity is a test of faith? Isn't your faith what gets you into Heaven?

A test of WHAT faith? There are differing opinions as to what faith is based on.

You know, believing that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins? Some Christians will tell you that that is pretty much all you need to do to go to Heaven.

Yes *SOME* Christians.

What if this is the aliens' doing?

it's a matter of fact.

Yes, that's the point. What if it's all a matter of fact? Then what?

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
LOL I have read a couple of posts. I don't think you are getting the point of the OP.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Then I'll be known as a man that loved his family, his neighbors, helped others, told the truth, tried to do right...apologized when he didn't, generous, loving, helped even strangers, worked hard, loved his country.... was never perfect but tried to aspire to perfection.

The OP has a point, and I think you see that based on your comments. I also think that if you are trying to aspire to perfection, analyzing your thoughts and actions then indeed you are living a righteous life. So what if you do all those things but were raised in another faith, another country, another way of interpreting those same principles? Would it not get you into heaven?

When I read the bible I get a totally different interpretation than a lot of preachers have. I specifically look at the stories Jesus told and I see a story designed to inspire thought, not a story based in physical abstract terms as preachers put it. I see stories that we are only now beginning to understand the meaning behind. I see a story in the bible that tells people to cut out their eye if they lust, and I haven't seen to many one eyed Christians.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
What if Dorthy really was in OZ then what should we do?
I am really scared now.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I have no doubt that most if not all the stories in the Bible are true — inasmuch as every legend has a true story at its core.

In fact, those who detract from the veracity of the Bible have a harder job than those who believe in it. The detractors are the ones claiming the stories aren't true, but I have yet to see any proof that they're not true.

And, no, mere contradiction is not proof.

I mean, there are plenty of contradictions regarding many historical events, but that doesn't mean they didn't happen. It simply means the details are skewed from one account to another — as with the details of the Nazi Holocaust, for example. Some people claim 6 million Jews were exterminated, some claim fewer were exterminated, and some claim that more were exterminated.

Those are mere contradictions of detail, but they don't prove the thing didn't transpire.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/4/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Maybe I missed your point...If the Bible is true, then what ...becomes of my faith?

My faith is still there... and growing. As a Christian and Bible student, I see the Bible reaffirmed every week with facts. Some are historical, some archeological, some are natural and scientific, some are prophetic unfolding in the news before our eyes. I could expand, but then we would get off thread and into prophecy, politics, current news....

the faith part comes in the certain hope of eternal salvation through Jesus Christ.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
I have no doubt that most if not all the stories in the Bible are true — inasmuch as every legend has a true story at its core.

In fact, those who detract from the veracity of the Bible have a harder job than those who believe in it. The detractors are the ones claiming the stories aren't true, but I have yet to see any proof that they're not true.

— Doc Velocity

It isn't the job of the naysayers to prove something isn't true. In fact, it's almost impossible to prove something doesn't exist. Prove to me that god isn't a giant ice cream cone flying through space in a cone holder.

posted on Mar, 4 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ivorywire
Isn't your faith what gets you into Heaven? You know, believing that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins? Some Christians will tell you that that is pretty much all you need to do to go to Heaven.

Nope. What the Bible — specifically Christ's words in the New Testament — says is Nobody comes to the Father (God in Heaven) except by ME (Jesus Christ).

Now, a thorough reading and comprehension of the New Testament will tell you that EVERY PERSON is ALREADY SAVED, by virtue of the fact that Christ assumed the burden of ALL Man's sin for all time.

Haven't you ever wondered about how Christ was supposed to "save" all the untold millions of humans that lived and died long before Christ was born? It's easy — Christ assumed ALL sin for ALL Mankind for ALL time. Past, present and future.

The only stipulation mentioned for those AFTER Christ's time is that you acknowledge Christ's sacrifice, right? It says, right there in the Bible, that you can be a goddamned sinner until your last breath, but if you call on the name of the Lord (Jesus Christ), you will be saved.

Period.

I know, a lot of atheists and God Haters out there will scoff, but even atheists and God Haters are already saved.

Look, NOBODY is going to Hell by accident. Nobody is going to Hell unless he is seriously Evil and wants to go to Hell. What I'm saying is this: You've gotta make an appointment to go to Hell, okay?

You've gotta be, like, an unrepentant Adolf Hitler who eats barbecued fetuses every day and is constantly plotting the demise of Mankind. You've gotta be seriously EVIL to go to Hell.

And you know what happens when you're that evil? You STAY ON EARTH, because Earth is the dominion of Satan. Earth is Hell. The barbarity of Man against Man IS Hell.

Period.

Nobody is going to Hell for not saying the Lord's Prayer, nobody is going to Hell for being an atheist, nobody is going to Hell for not being a Christian. That's not what Christ intended, but that's what organized religion wants you to believe.

And that's because organized religion is, probably, pretty seriously Evil.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DisappearCompletely
It isn't the job of the naysayers to prove something isn't true. In fact, it's almost impossible to prove something doesn't exist.

Yeah, it IS their job. See, because the God Haters want to detract and undermine and destroy religion. They want to attack the Faith of believers.

And don't tell me it's not true, because I witness it every day right here on ATS, with angry, cynical God Haters mocking religion.

So, yes, it's the responsibility of the God Haters to prove that what they're saying has any value. You can't just mock and mock and mock without offering up something to give your mockery a little weight.

Thus far, I see nothing from the God Haters that carries any weight or value.

I mean, tell me what possible benefit I would enjoy by abandoning my Faith and becoming an atheist again.

See, I already know the "joys" of being a cynical, skeptical, pissed-off atheist. When I weigh that against the promise of eternal Life, however irrational that may sound, I find that atheism doesn't have DICK to offer.

Makes the choice rather easy, actually.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/5/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Maybe I missed your point...If the Bible is true, then what ...becomes of my faith?

If you saw an alien mothership hovering above you. Your friend tells you that it is a work of God. What would you say?

Let's say that we are 50 years into the future and there is some man who have the ability to heal amputees. You see the limbs growing before your very own eyes. your friend tells you, "See? This is the work of God. Believe now" What would you say?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
If you saw an alien mothership hovering above you. Your friend tells you that it is a work of God. What would you say?

I would say my friend was correct. Absolutely correct, inasmuch as all things are the "work of God"... but that's not the reply you wanted.

I would quote Arthur C. Clarke, who wisely observed that when Technology is sufficiently advanced, it is indistinguishable from Magic. Which is an absolute Truth.

If an alien species is sufficiently advanced to fulfill every prerequisite of Godhood from our perspective, then we CAN rightly call it a "God"... And why not? What will you gain by disputing it?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DisappearCompletely

It isn't the job of the naysayers to prove something isn't true. In fact, it's almost impossible to prove something doesn't exist.

Some may try to prove that something isn't true.

That isn't the point of the OP.

If the fantastic stories are true, what will the skeptics say?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I'm on the same page as you, OP.

If someone from today - or if someone with our technology shot back in time to biblical times, that person would be looked at as a divine being.

When they saw the ET's back then, they literally fell to the floor in fear and in worship...

It's so obvious to me and I can't see why others don't see it like that.

There is life out there - that's basically a fact.

Alot of mysteries here on Earth - especially in prehistoric times...

I can just keep going on, but I'm saving it for a thread that I'm working on (I'm typing it in Word).

So yeah. S&F for you, OP.

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

I would say my friend was correct. Absolutely correct, inasmuch as all things are the "work of God"... but that's not the reply you wanted.

Yeah, but which god? Which faith? Perhaps there is no god, but only supreme beings (aliens) or even human beings that have been there long before the dawn of civilization on Earth.

I would quote Arthur C. Clarke, who wisely observed that when Technology is sufficiently advanced, it is indistinguishable from Magic. Which is an absolute Truth.

I love that quote. So, it kinda prove the point of my OP.

If an alien species is sufficiently advanced to fulfill every prerequisite of Godhood from our perspective, then we CAN rightly call it a "God"... And why not? What will you gain by disputing it?

I am not disputing that. If everything turns out to be true and a Christian tells you that your salvation depends on it (your sins and behaviors), what would you say?

posted on Mar, 5 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

You summed it up pretty well.

I'm a Christian because I sincerely believe in the salvation given by Jesus Christ. But even if I'm wrong, it's still a life I would choose to live.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join