It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stupidity -- A film by Albert Nerenberg

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Stupidity sets out to determine whether our culture is hooked on deliberate ignorance as a strategy for success. From Adam Sandler to George W Bush, from the IQ test to TV programming, to the origins of the word moron, Stupidity examines the "dumbing down" of contemporary culture.

Stupidity embarks on an exhaustive search into its meaning, and the implications of a culture that is obsessed and saturated with stupefying culture. Stupidity careens at warp speed through sound bites on topics from television news and reality shows, to internet sites and popular films.

Featuring opinions and comments from some of today's most recognizable figures, cultural critics, authors and academics, including John Cleese, Noam Chomsky, Selma Hayek, and Bill Maher, Stupidity reveals that, despite our culture's extensive access to knowledge and information, humans continue to choose stupidity.

Now you can "get stupid" in the comfort of your home with Stupidity, streamed for free (to viewers in the US and Canada) from AboveTopSecret.com.

CAUTION: Contains some strong language.

(click to open player in new window)

Part Two - Part Three

San Francisco Chronicle: "Clever, hilarious, and perfectly timed."

Best Documentary, Atlantic City Film Festival

Official Selection, Hot Docs & Just for Laughs Comedy Festival

This video is provided by The Disinformation Company, whose online distribution agreement with the video publisher is limited to the United States and Canada. Unfortunately, free streaming is not yet available for users in other countries.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by AboveTopSecret.com

streamed for free from AboveTopSecret.com.

apparantly......not where i live!!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Unfortunately, free streaming is not yet available for users in other countries.

Which includes me.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I saw this on Netflix a few months ago. It is very interesting and humorous. Makes me feel good about my intelligence, to be honest, all the while making me frown upon how stupid people are.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by Bushido Kanji]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AboveTopSecret.com
This video is provided by The Disinformation Company, whose online distribution agreement with the video publisher is limited to the United States and Canada. Unfortunately, free streaming is not yet available for users in other countries.

such a pity they can't limit the distribution of cultural stupidity in a similar manner.

i'm disappointed, i would have liked to see this movie.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
You are not missing much guys'. I just watched it on novakeo.com (because it won't stream to UK) and except for the occasional titter it was not up to much in my stupid opinion

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AboveTopSecret.com

I think this films defines americans more so than it defines human behaviours in general.

Americans have a uniqueness about their general stupidity in a broad sweeping sense. This film helps to define it a little more clearly.

You can find stupid people in any country really, but in America, it is frighteningly common place.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
OMG. Can't view it in my country either.

Until it becomes available I will stick with the excellent movie Idiocracy. Highly recommended

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by djusdjus

I think this films defines americans more so than it defines human behaviours in general.

You can find stupid people in any country really, but in America, it is frighteningly common place.

I've lived in three different countries so far (presently in the U.S.), and based on my own observations and experience I have to strongly disagree with your statement.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions

Originally posted by djusdjus

I've lived in three different countries so far (presently in the U.S.), and based on my own observations and experience I have to strongly disagree with your statement.

you are entitled to your opinion of course.

It's not changing mine though seeing as I also have personal observations and experience that is indicative of my view being correct in context to the statement I made.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
...well done - loved the sarcasm...

...my mom came into my study to ask what i was laughing so much about and i said "a film on stupid"... she said, "oh, they made a film about me, how nice!"... she has alzheimers but sometimes she's lucid and extremely funny...

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
You guys aren't missing much.
This isn't a very good movie.
I watched part one and I think I've had enough. It said a whole lot of nuthin.
Spent 25 minutes asking people to define stupid, then tells you the origin of the word moron. Not a lot of content. I think whoever made this flick might be pretty stupid, or maybe just bad at making documentaries.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by piemanapparantly......not where i live!!

That makes two of us!

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Awesome. Greatly appreciated.

I cant wait to watch it.

Edit to add:

I enjoyed it. Although it also was kind of a dumbed down look at the issue. But, perhaps that was their intent.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by liquidsmoke206

I agree. I couldn't watch the whole film either, it was just pointless and errr ...stupid.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Part I was boring. Nothing original or inspired.
The discussion of 'super stupidity', in Part II was interesting. It cited the "Jackass" TV show and movies. Teenage boys died imitating the stupid stunts in that show.
It made me realize how truly pathetic it is that people like Steve-O become rich, famous, admired and celebrated in America.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Before this thread dies on its stupid ass, I thought I should post part 5 of the documentry, that anyone can watch wherever they are located

stupidity part 5

Its been cunningly disguised as a different doc to the one in the op, but unless I'm a complete idiot, I think its the same film!
The entire doc isn't all that great, but worth a watch IMO especially parts 4-5

I also beleive we are being dummed down, and this doc touches on that nicely,
thanks for the post

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Reminds me of that Mike Judge movie with Luke Wilson. Basically he gets frozen by the military and wakes up 500 years later, he is the smartest living person in the world because everyone is dumbed down after so long. Its supposed to be a comedy, but its not funny, because you can see it happening everyday.

oh yeah...it's called Idiocracy

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

It made me realize how truly pathetic it is that people like Steve-O become rich, famous, admired and celebrated in America.

People like Steve-O and Johny Knoxville became famous for the exact same reasons that professional athletes do...they are entertaining

We want to be entertained while exerting no effort, because, for the most of us, we exert ourselves at work, and have no ambition beyond "today"

They're famous, not because we're stupid, but because we're lazy.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snarf

They're famous, not because we're stupid, but because we're lazy.

I dont know if it really is that were are lazy. Which is what I was hoping the movie would go into. People tend to be in denial about things they fear. The greater their fear, the deeper the denial. It would have been a more interesting film to me if they had explored the reasons WHY we choose to be entertained out of our intelligence. Why we choose ignorance over knowledge, and why we choose stupification over considered action.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join