It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is one "Liberal" if one trys to seek the Hard, Fearful "Truth"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
If you feel the urge to post negative comments to me, or any other member on this thread, please, DO NOT post. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will try to put this together the best that I can. Here goes.

I live in a house, full of people that are strictly of the Republican party, and I'm the only one that does NOT vote and does not take either party. I know my relatives have their eyes set on the Idiot Box 24/7 (Fox News) and they take it in like breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In my eyes, they believe everything said on (Fox News) is THE HONEST TRUTH.

Every family member in this house that I am around call me a Liberal only because I believe that for example 9/11 was an Inside Job, Wars started to take control of resources, and believing that Credible, Eyewitnesses are being assassinated (Suicided). They tell me I would vote for (In their statement (The little Liberal black boy), yet, I wouldn't vote even if the Last vote happened to depend on me for someone to win. Please, explain, SOMEONE! How does it make me Liberal, just because I believe in those things?

I can't even have a clear debate with them, and even when I do, they start cracking jokes, calling me "Ahmadinejad" and saying stuff like "Why don't you go live down with your Iranian buddies." Why? Well because I started learning "Farsi" (The Persian Language). But enough of that, I'm just waiting for something to happen like when someone blows the lid off the whole 9/11 issue or what the government is really doing.

But really, How the hell do my beliefs make me a Liberal even though I find disgust in politics and would never take part in any party.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I am a constitutionalist. I believe in freedom, in gun rights, in fiscal conservatism, in avoiding war, and many other things that cross party lines.

yet not a day goes by that I am not called a liberal by someone because I believe in certain conspiracies, or a conservative by others, because I strongly advocate gun rights.

Its a simple way for people to try and label those with opposing points of view. And a naive way, at that.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumDeath

Don't let them box you in. It does not make you a liberal just because of this or that. It is a title people but on themselves to further the divide. In reality most Americans are on the same page on many issues. But TPTB take the few issues we are not together on and use it as a wedge. It works out perfect for them it is like plausible deniability in a way.

Many things are not as they seem. It is always good to question. There are not bad questions only bad answers in this world. And tolerance is something that we should use much more and we should also get rid of labels.

And flag for what I beleive is heart felt honesty.

[edit on 2-3-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This is something I had to get off my back. It's just a shame that my own family members have to label me just because I don't think the same way they do.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by QuantumDeath

It's unfortunate that you have to put up with such an environment. People like to apply titles to one another, and try to lump everything into two categories - Dems vs. Reps, conservatives vs. liberals, religious vs. atheist, etc. Of course, as you seem to be well aware, things aren't so simple.

I'm also an independent and constantly am called "liberal" by people on the right, and "conservative" by people on the left. Then, when I describe a position which is actually in line with their own side, these people get confused. It's actually kind of funny, in a rather sad way, to watch them scratch their heads when faced with the notion that somebody might analyze things on a case-by-case basis rather than just following some obvious political dogma. Usually they end up concluding that I must be some kind of wishy-washy fence-rider. That's ok by me, frankly I don't give two *&$%'s what they think about my position.

It must be rough having to live in such an environment, though. You definitely have my sympathy. They may jeer and joke about you and try to embarrass you, but as long as you're not afraid to think independently and make your own conclusions about life, you're the one who comes out on top.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Liberal and Conservative are nothing except for words. They have no use other than the meaning you let them have. In reality both parties are one in the same. They are mechanisms for division and distraction. Some people can't get out of the football team mentality. My candidate/team, or my idea/sport. Realize that what other people categorize is unimportant. If other people cannot comprehend that both parties are controlled by the same power structures than that is their problem. This does not mean your somehow better, smarter, or know everything. It just means that you are at a different place on the path of self growth. When other people caught in the left/right paradigm chant talking points, or try to argue for the point of arguing dont let it bother you. Avoid divisive disscussion. Calmly point out inconsistencies between rhetoric and policy, and similarities between liberal/conservative leaders policies. You can't shout 9-11 was an inside job and expect an indonctrinated person to listen. Point out the similarities between bush and obama, or growth of government under both parties rule. Politics are all distraction. The reality is that as long as you caught up in arguing about talking points, political personalities, and all the rest you are missing the real things going on.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The only true liberals are people that subscribe to the only 2 mindsets in life..left or right.

You are a individual.
You may have some views edging on liberalism, and some views that edge on conservatism. People are brainwashed into thinking we must take a side one way or another.

If you want to get back at them for fun, take a hard libertarian view and call them pinko liberals for being republican conservatives :-P

Anyhow, you can choose (and many *MANY* will almost demand you choose) one of two sides on how to see everything, or you can simply be independent and a free thinker (of course the right will call you a lib, the left will call you a con)

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by stephinrazin

Liberal and conservative are NOT the same.

The main basic tenets of conservativism are a belief in small government, less government intrusion into your life, a strong military and pro-life.

For liberalism, it's a belief that the government should take care of its citizens (therefore requiring a larger, arguably more intrusive government), a smaller military and pro-choice.

Of course, most people don't fit either of those categories exclusively.

Repubs and Dems seem to have become much the same, or at least appear to be moving toward the same goals, but conservative and liberals are not the same.

posted on Mar, 2 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I applaud you for your honesty and your desire to speak Farsi, you have your own reasons for this, but being bilingual can open your eyes to a whole other worldview. I would assume that no one in your family speaks anything but english?

A lot of people are right on the money in this thread, if you don't conform to every belief the left or the right has then you're labeled the opposition. "You're either with us, or you're with the terrorists."

Your short description leads me to believe your family are a bunch of ethnocentric xenophobes. While you desire to understand the world better by taking a different view this would label you as 'liberal'. You're freeing your mind from the constraints of conservativism. Liberating yourself, so to speak.

I don't want that last paragraph to sound like I'm bashing self-proclaimed conservatives, I'm not. I'm taking the words for their root meanings, if you have any understanding of language you'll know what I'm referring to.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Actually I think your beliefs are more Libertarian,than true liberal.

I am a Libertarian and not Republican conservative which most my family is and actually think I am.

I just don't bring it up.I let them initiate the political conversation and kep my opion to myself.

Learning Farsi is a good thing.

The Persian people are good people with a screwed up government much like us.

They like us and if you asked most of them wished they could live like us.

My room mate is an old red neck conservative whom sits and watches Fox news 24/7,too.

I tell him it is good there is a channel for old red necks to watch,but the fact of the matter the won't stop the train wreck our country is headed for.Lib/Dems and Conserv./Reps. are both responsible for this mess.

When it happens the Libertarians are going to say I told you so.

You can't change ignorant minds.

My pet peeve is the money wasted on the failed Federal drug enforcement policies that target poor people.

I argue about it with my room mate all the time.Legalize the crap and put the Feds,chasing dope smugglers to better use.

Haven't achieved a dang thing in 40 years.

Don't let them get to you.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumDeath
This is something I had to get off my back. It's just a shame that my own family members have to label me just because I don't think the same way they do.
You are not alone. My family members joked about how crazy I was, until one of them started researching information on the internet and now they joke about how crazy WE are. Only they are all Democrats.

[edit on 3-3-2010 by m khan]

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
It seems to me that no one wants to be called a liberal these days. The media will rarely ever use the word, although they love to say conservative.

A Gallup Poll last summer showed that 40% of people described themselves as "Conservative" and 21% as "Liberal". My opinion is a great portion of the 35% who responded "Moderate" are Liberal but don't like the label.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Labels are a fundamental flaw of the American society, and are only there to keep you divided.

You need to stop calling yourselves left or right, liberal or conservative, it's pathetic.

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by bagari
reply to post by stephinrazin

Liberal and conservative are NOT the same.

The main basic tenets of conservativism are a belief in small government, less government intrusion into your life, a strong military and pro-life.

For liberalism, it's a belief that the government should take care of its citizens (therefore requiring a larger, arguably more intrusive government), a smaller military and pro-choice.

I am a self declared old hippie liberal and a staunch one to boot and I don't believe your description necessarily describes me or many of my compatriots.

I do not believe that the government should take care of its citizens...

I do believe that it should be there when they need it.

I do not believe in a large(er) government and least how you mean it. The overall problem with the conservative stance on government is while it means well its misguided...a nation of 350 million people with all the complex ties both nationally and internationally...simply put cannot function with the size of government many conservatives imagine...like grover norquist's 16% of its current size. Like it or not the whole fabric of society would begin to unravel. Like it or not the government provides a balance between all the competing forces in today's society.

I do believe in a leaner more efficient government however with less layers of bureaucracy getting in the way. AND I do not believe that privatization is a solution to anything...especially when it comes to core functions. The military and policing...education and penal systems. I do not think that private companies should have control over the most functional aspects of government. Its operations belong to us not in private hands.

As for the military...when the military budget is larger than its closest 5 or 6 competitors combined there is ample room for trim and still be the world power...bloat just gets in the way we could have a lean mean military and still be the world super power.

Social issues like abortion really surprise me. I am not in favor of abortion but I am not a woman and I have no right telling anyone what to do with their bodies or lives and the conservative stance of restricting a woman's right to chose runs counter to their get the government out of people's lives/individual responsibility rhetoric.

The search for truth...any truth transcends political parties and ideologies...

The search for truth is the human endeavor and no one has the right to gainsay your search or conclusions.

How's that for a liberal reply?

posted on Mar, 3 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumDeath
If you feel the urge to post negative comments to me, or any other member on this thread, please, DO NOT post. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

When you open a thread, you expose yourself. If all you want is support, talk to the mirror.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I live in a house, full of people that are strictly of the Republican party, and I'm the only one that does NOT vote and does not take either party.

If you do not vote and avoid ALL (there are not only two) party affiliation, then what people call you makes no difference. You have chosen not to participate. Enjoy the ride.

Every family member in this house that I am around call me a Liberal only because I believe that for example 9/11 was an Inside Job, Wars started to take control of resources, and believing that Credible, Eyewitnesses are being assassinated (Suicided).

[E.A.]

These are NOT "liberal " issues, per se, as people of various political affiliations have espoused one or another of them.

Maybe you have misunderstood "gullible" for liberal.

... I wouldn't vote even if the Last vote happened to depend on me for someone to win.

This pretty much eliminates you from the realm of political relevance; liberal, conservative, communist or whatever. So long as you do not act on your beliefs, they are no more than that: your beliefs.

Please, explain, SOMEONE! How does it make me Liberal, just because I believe in those things?

It doesn't. It makes you a "fringer" as Southern Guardian would say.

... I'm just waiting for something to happen ... .

Doesn't this explain your family's contempt and criticism more than the substance of your beliefs?

How the hell do my beliefs make me a Liberal even though I find disgust in politics and would never take part in any party.

Again, they don't. They make you a member of a minority. Your decision not to engage is your own and makes your opinions of little value to those who've chosen to act on their similar beliefs.

Deny ignorance.

jw
p.s.: This thread has nothing to do with this forum. It is merely a personal account of personal relations. Mods should move it or close it.
[edit for p.s].

[edit on 4-3-2010 by jdub297]

new topics

top topics

join