It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AGW deniers further ape creationists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Absolutely hilarious.

I've noted the similarities in their arguments and behaviour for donkey's, but this takes the biscuit.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, by the House of Representatives of the Eighty-fifth Legislature of the State of South Dakota, the Senate concurring therein, that the South Dakota Legislature urges that instruction in the public schools relating to global warming include the following:

(1) That global warming is a scientific theory rather than a proven fact;

(2) That there are a variety of climatological, meteorological, astrological, thermological, cosmological, and ecological dynamics that can effect [sic] world weather phenomena and that the significance and interrelativity of these factors is largely speculative; and

(3) That the debate on global warming has subsumed political and philosophical viewpoints which have complicated and prejudiced the scientific investigation of global warming phenomena; and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Legislature urges that all instruction on the theory of global warming be appropriate to the age and academic development of the student and to the prevailing classroom circumstances.

legis.state.sd.us...

lol

Add to the McCarthy-like shenanigans of Inhofe, these people are laughable. Can't even come close to challenging the science on scientific terms so resort to inane creationist-like political attacks.

All we need now is an AGW denialist museum in Oklahoma.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by melatonin]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
lol "ape creationists"

think about it

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

That's a very impressive vote.
What does it have to do with apes and donkeys??

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
lol "ape creationists"

think about it

Glad you appreciated it.

As for Donny II, 'Donkey's years'. It's a saying. Although braying like a donkey would fit AGW deniers.

They actually amended the resolution to make it slightly less moronic.

83% of GOP supported.
92% of Dems opposed.

17% of the GOP obviously saw the irony in forming a political resolution meddling in school science classes, whilst suggesting "That the debate on global warming has subsumed political and philosophical viewpoints".

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

The Global Warming issue HAS become mired in politics and once it is in the realm of politics it becomes all about money. Do you honestly think there aren't powerful corporate and political interests cooking up all sorts of sinister ideas to use Climate Change as a money making scheme.

I have no issue with the science, it doesn't take a genius to see that the climate changes on this planet and that polluting could have an adverse effect but we must also be wary of those who seek to further their power and wealth using the fear they create by hyping climate change as a doomsday scenario. We've all seen the media acting like its the end of the world, entirely forgetting the endless cyclical climate change our species has endured since we left Africa.

And yet despite all that we have people insulting Global Warming deniers as nutjobs, or claiming they work for oil companies, or in this case claiming they are like religious zealots.

It's not the scientists I don't trust.... its hasty conclusions and rushed legislation and politicians and corporations.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Fair enough, Titen. In many ways an admirable position.

I'm quite sure that corporations are trying to take advantage of the issue. That's capitalism for you. From greenwashing to industry-funded denial.

But, as you sort of note, none of that really alters the well-established science.

I'll call a sceptic a sceptic and a denialist a denialist. Indeed, I am in no way labelling these people religious-like - they are both ideologically-motivated though. Nutjobs? Errm...

One approach that creationists have always used is the meddling in school science to subvert the science they know is beyond their reach. It's all about the approach. The quote-mining. The petitions. The PR BS. The faux experts. The blogscience. The manufactroversies. The incoherent denialism. Anything but the real thing.

And, unsurprisingly, they are often found together in the same noggin. Not always I will say. Some evangelicals get the issue - good stewardship is an issue for them.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I actually thought better of you than this mel.

A thinly disguised attempt to deflect away from the beating the AGW agenda has taken over the last couple of months by ridiculing anyone who doubts the propaganda.

I think you may have taken a leaf out of the Hadley CRU book of "How To Deal With Deniers"

From a poster of your standing, it's frankly a little ugly...

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
I actually thought better of you than this mel.

lol, I've been saying this for about a year now. It's nothing new.

A thinly disguised attempt to deflect away from the beating the AGW agenda has taken over the last couple of months by ridiculing anyone who doubts the propaganda.

Yeah, much like the IDers and creationists repeatedly fantasise about the collapse of evolution.

Indeed, it's another similarity that I missed. Cheers.

From a poster of your standing, it's frankly a little ugly...

What is?

Not my fault that AGW deniers act like a bunch of creationists. Perhaps you might like to show me why I'm wrong to make the comparison rather than acting like some concern troll.

Show me the difference between a bunch of creationist politicians subverting evolutionary science by meddling in the science classroom and a bunch of AGW denialist politicians subverting climate science and meddling in the science classroom.

Show me why even daring to make the comparison is 'ugly'.

I know the truth hurts, but there's not that much difference - creationists tend to be motivated by religion. AGW denialists by political ideology. That's about it.

But your concern is noted.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

The thing is mel, it's not "truth" it's only your truth, and to ridicule someone else for their viewpoint is exactly the same thing that creationists do.

It would be hilariously ironic if it weren't a little unsettling in a person of your standing and obvious mental aptitude.

I don't think you needed to sink to this level mate...

[edit on 26/2/2010 by budski]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

The thing is mel, it's not "truth" it's only your truth, and to ridicule someone else for their viewpoint is exactly the same thing that creationists do.

Yeah, it's all opinion. We all have the same evidence, and the denialists just view it from a different perspective. Hmmm, where have I heard that before...

lol.

Stop, please.

It would be hilariously ironic if it weren't a little unsettling in a person of your standing and obvious mental aptitude.

Sink to what level? You won't shame me, budski.

Show me the difference between a bunch of creationist politicians subverting evolutionary science by meddling in the science classroom and a bunch of AGW denialist politicians subverting climate science and meddling in the science classroom.

Show me why even daring to make the comparison is 'ugly' or 'unsettling'.

I'm willing to listen. You'll need to do better, though. Thus far, you're just consolidating the comparison.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I'm not trying to shame you mel.

And I've said all I'm going to - I think you know exactly what I mean and where I'm coming from.

Feel free to pursue your course of action, which looks suspiciously like a vendetta and a form of payback because your beliefs have taken a knock recently.

I'm not having a go mate - I honestly think that this thread was a bad idea, and doesn't do you justice as a remarkably well informed and perceptive poster on the issue of AGW.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

[edit on 26/2/2010 by budski]

Here's the trouble. AGW (like evolution, physics, and many other sciences) isn't a "matter of opinion." Pointing out that someone is flat-out wrong and lying about the facts isn't "attacking them" it's not "ridiculing them" it is telling them exactly what they are doing.

Not to say that liars don't deserve ridicule; just that pointing out that they are lying isn't in and of itself ridicule.

Reality is not subjective. You can't say "Well, you believe the earth orbit's the sun and I believe that the sun is actually a giant lightbulb that the ghost of Elvis turns on in the morning, both our opinions are equally valid" - You'd be wrong, plain and simple, and anyone who laughs in your face is doing you a favor.

[edit on 26-2-2010 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

I'm not having a go mate - I honestly think that this thread was a bad idea, and doesn't do you justice as a remarkably well informed and perceptive poster on the issue of AGW.

Cheers, but of course this is not really about the science per se. This is about the socio-political shenanigans of AGW deniers.

It isn't my fault that a bunch of south Dakotan politicians decided to use creationist-like tactics to subvert the science and meddle in the science classroom.

I never asked them to justify a comparison I've been making for a while. Deniers are simply energised by the recent manufactroversy and they readily show their mendacious tactics - creationists do the same. From the Petit-McCarthyist Inhofe to these Dakotan anti-science politicians.

But, as I said, concern is noted.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I gotta say, I love the original.

"That global warming is a scientific theory rather than a proven fact"

That's not an apple; that's a fruit, baby, yeah!

"That there are a variety of climatological, meteorological, astrological, thermological, cosmological, and ecological dynamics that can effect [sic] world weather phenomena..."

Now I think they're just teasing us. Really, climate change is the cause of the sun being in the House of Leo and has something to do with the angelic heirarchy of Zororastarianism?

[edit on 26-2-2010 by TheWalkingFox]

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

"That there are a variety of climatological, meteorological, astrological, thermological, cosmological, and ecological dynamics that can effect [sic] world weather phenomena..."

LOL

Also - "thermological"?

I didn't even know that was a word. Apparently it is:

Thermology is the medical science that derives diagnostic indications from highly detailed and sensitive infrared images of the human body.

Wikipedia

So there you have it. Global Warming really is man-made more than we could have ever imagined.

According to South Dakota Legislature Body Heat is the overlooked guilty party!

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donny 4 million

That's a very impressive vote.
What does it have to do with apes and donkeys??

Also- What does creationism have to do with the OP.
What's up here. Duh

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
its a troll post - clearly using science word helps the OP with his reality grasping problem.

what science? the same one that were cooked up at CRU? or the same one that excludes cyclic nature of our planet climate? or maybe that one which states that co2 is bad for environment?

Oh and what a nice move to try to link pragmatic people with creationism and monkeys ...

fail

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by reassor
its a troll post - clearly using science word helps the OP with his reality grasping problem.

what science? the same one that were cooked up at CRU? or the same one that excludes cyclic nature of our planet climate? or maybe that one which states that co2 is bad for environment?

Oh and what a nice move to try to link pragmatic people with creationism and monkeys ...

fail

Yes sir.
And you will notice how lame it is. The dude or dudett won't even acknowledge the post. I guess the ape has got his tongue. Maybe the donkey is stepping on his toes? Maybe CREATION scares the dog pile out of him. BOOOO!

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donny 4 million
Yes sir.
And you will notice how lame it is. The dude or dudett won't even acknowledge the post. I guess the ape has got his tongue. Maybe the donkey is stepping on his toes? Maybe CREATION scares the dog pile out of him. BOOOO!

lol, dude, your posts so far barely merited a response.

Not at all scared of creationism. Why would I be?

The issue is that the approaches of both the AGW denialists and creationists are very similar. It's not me that called such a comparison 'ugly'.

My point is that both are anti-science approaches motivated by ideology. If you think that a bunch of politicians meddling in the science classroom is not relevant. Fine. Just say that. Some people cheerlead creationist politicians doing the same in the evolution arena.

I think otherwise. Could even be a basis for discussion there.

You see, the problem with responses like this...

...is that they are on the level of 'second law of thermodynamics undercuts evolution' and 'no macroevolution' and 'evolution is a fraud'. Nice simple folk 'science' soundbites that you can use a self-pacifier, but not exactly anything of import.

fail

Ape also means to imitate/mimic. It's just a play on words. You know, creationists, monkey's uncles etc. Jeez, playful puns are lost on some people.

Pragmatic? Denialists? Havin' a giraffe*.

ABE: And it does seem to be others that are seeing this as an insult, lol. Are creationists that bad? I consider some creationists here friends - they are anti-science, of course. I would have used flat-earthers, but they tend to not subvert the science by pushing their anti-science into the classroom using political methods.

*that's cockney rhyming slang for laugh. Thought I'd keep the mammal theme going.

posted on Feb, 26 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Just keep your hands up in surrender.
The vote mentioned neither donkeys, apes or creation. These words are your twisted malfunction of the English language my good friend.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join