It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pediatricians call for a choke-proof hot dog

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I am just going to tell you that it is NOT society(all of us) that should have to regulate everything, in order to overcome bad parenting.
Society should NOT have to regulate everything around us, because some people do not know how to parent(therefor, wanting the rest of us to do it for them)

Immaturity, to think that a parent's ability to parent is up to THEM ALONE, and not the rest of us? We want to "child proof" the whole entire world because you don't want to be responsible of keeping your offspring safe?

It is not our fault if someone's offspring is killed by a common item. Someone else mentioned the idea of how many people eat hot dogs every year. I bet the percentage of deaths vs. percentage of successful hot dog eaters....well, would speak for itself. It is relatively safe, compared to soooooo many products.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Simple solution:

Cut the stupid thing up!!!!!

Why oh why don't we require licensces for parents???!!!!!

The doctor was on CNN today. He said that parents should could up their kids food. . . untill they are about 14.

They actually want all round and spherical candies redesigned as well.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I am a parent.

The problem does not lie with hot dogs.

The problem lies in the parents.

Who feeds a little kid a hot dog? It should be auto neglect if you are feeding a kid under two hot dogs.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Maybe that movie Idiocracy was true and we are all really devolving. Maybe kids today are just way dumber than when we were kids. My parents let me play in the creek, eat unchopped hot dogs while running, ride a bike without a helmet, and wait for it.... they let me use a real steak knife to cut my steak. Egads!

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

This is where natural consequences come into play. You let your kid under two eat a whole hot dog with no supervision, your kid has a freak accident and dies by choking on a hot dog, and you get the natural consequence of your kid dying as punishment. Seems fair to me.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by Mr Sunchine]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Over seven billion hot dogs are consumed between labor day and memorial day. Only 10,000 kids go to the hospital evey year because they choke on food. Only 77 children a year die from choking on food.
USA Today Article With Numbers

What percentage of hot dogs eaten lead to death? Do we really need more labels to protect seventy seven people? Actually only 17% of food choking emergencies are related to hotdogs. So because seven or eight people a year die we need to redesign an iconic food? We need to label grapes, nuts, and round candy to protect 77 people?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I remember that some idiot brought this up before...maybe 10 years ago.

I have the solution...very complicated...

Why not have PARENTS supervise their children...

With all the so called dangerous things out there ...it's a wonder anyone over 50 even survived...a little parental supervision is all that is ever needed...not flat weenies...

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

We need to label grapes, nuts, and round candy to protect 77 people?

No we need to genetically redesign all fruits and nuts so they grow into tiny microsized pellets that nobody can choke on. As far as the candy goes, that must be banned because it causes tooth decay.

Of course the people redesigning the fruit and nut genetics must wear a helmet, knee pads, elbo pads, and safety goggles in case they trip or take a nut off their eye.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Sunchine

Of course the people redesigning the fruit and nut genetics must wear a helmet, knee pads, elbo pads, and safety goggles in case they trip or take a nut off their eye.

We could just make it easy, and require that ALL people wear a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, and safety goggles at all times.

Dunno why we trust anyone to run around, able to get hurt at any time. Precautions must be made so that we never lose a member of our society, ever. We are beyond Natural Selection, as we have the ability to just regulate everyone to a long, healthy, and SAFE life.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Great ideas and lets not forget to regulate sunscreen use and daily vitamins. Heck, you know what we really need is an overpaid, undereducated government employee to stay with us at all time to make sure we make the choices the government knows is best for us, or maybe we could just outsource that to the fine folks at ACORN in a 4 trillion dollar project. Stimulus Baby!

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr Sunchine

Oh my god, that would be awesome to just stick a government employee in everyone's house at all times.... One for each family.
I cannot even fathom the logistics of having one per person at all times, that follows them to work, into the bathroom, into the bedroom(
).

People cannot be trusted to make their own choices, or use products that might potentially kill someone.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Yeah just think they could be there to tell you what position will least damage your back when you have intercourse with your significant other. Then if you do it wrong they could film it and then later they could sit with you and review the tape and show you where you went wrong. They would be like a love coach.

Best of all would be that the Liberals would say we could some how save money over the next ten years by spending 4 trillion more borrowed Chinese dollars.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
This must be coming from a non parent. Onlyy a non parent would say this.

Hot dogs are the #1 choke hazards for children. What child should die of a hot dog? But 100s of children die each year from choking on hot dogs. A lot of children die of choking because their throats are little and they are learning too chew. I made sure me and any member of my family took child cpr.

We have used it.....twice.

Think it doesn't happen?

I have never seen such immaturity on a thread.

There is a difficult age between when a child starts chewing food, and because they are learning to eat. And you can't leave them for a second in case they choke. YOu can't even give a child things like grapes, candy, and nuts until they are at least 3-4 years old, just for this reason.

Just like they fall, a lot, learning how to walk. They choke, as they learn how to eat.

Also young children do not have all their teeth, and have to gum a lot of their food.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by nixie_nox]

Sooo....

How about being a protective and SMART parent and NOT GIVING YOUR KID A HOT DOG!

Jeeze. I was old enough to remember being "allowed" to have a hot dog (I think I was around 5 or 6). My mother knew I wasn't developed enough to risk giving me one.

Good lord, I would never give my kid a hot dog until he had mastered other foods. I would also be a PARENT and watch them, and instruct them.

This is insane, and the fact you are arguing against us is also insane.

This reminds me of that movie "Idiocracy" in which the stupid degenerates outbred the smart people.

It was supposed to be funny, but it is also scary as well -- this is really our future it would appear.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LostNemesis

Why not just consider the hot dog "phallic", and therefor, adult in nature?

www.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I knew thats where you were heading with this. It takes away from the validity of the post while making an underhanded joke about stuff that shouldnt really be joked about in an open forum. Since most choking victims in this study are probably five years old and younger. But I suppose its no different than 'Family Guy'. Im not accusing here just saying how it hit me from the jump.

As much as I would like to respond to the issue as it is an important one...I wont due to the possibility of entertaining the idea that this particular form of sarcasm is acceptable.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by psyko45

Some people obviously have no grasp on the concept of sarcasm. As well as ability to debate their point, when they can instead just dis-credit a person, and consider themselves 'Holier Than Thou' -- Because it's easier.

If you agree with the concept in the article, that is cool. But why even bother taking the time to comment when my sarcasm makes me unworthy?
Not to mention, many other people have voiced their concerns and thoughts in this thread. Are you suggesting your opinions are holier than theirs, too, when you won't even tell your thoughts on the subject or their comments?

Just wondering. Not attacking, just can't understand why you'd read this thread, and think your comments were so important, when you couldn't even share what you feel about the subject.

Put simply: It's ok to disagree. It's a waste, to disagree, and not even share one's own thoughts on the subject.

EDIT: Typo fix.

[edit on 22-2-2010 by LostNemesis]

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
hey, instead of stifiling business & the food industry by slamming hotdogs

why don't we have our school system instruct the students on how to overcome the 'gag' response, so they don't choke on the dogs.

the school system gives work to more instructors, the kids learn a reflex conditioning response, the hot dog makers keep making & selling their product - - - everyones happy !

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Well the teachers union contracts will have to renegotiated, because teaching a kid to suppress their gag reflex is not currently covered under the contract, even though I am sure some teachers are more than willing to teach the subject.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Lol, make the meat all gooey and cut it off at certin sections with lines that say bite here, if not, you will have a mess.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

This is a good idea! They call it MPM - Mechanically Processed Meat.
No need to mention even what kind of "meat" is being used/eaten. Parents would be hard-pressed to find a way to kill their offspring with that. Like one of those squeeze-bottle treats.... It would make "hot dogs" FUN for kids!

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Interesting concept. Really why did parents ever stop feeding their children baby food. Maybe we should just force society to eat baby food or put a tube in everyone that goes directly to their stomach and then its impossible for anyone to ever choke again.

Oh crap, what if someone gets stupid and drops a batch of live bees into their feeding tube. Then we will have to redesign bees so they cannot sting us when they fly inside a human stomach. Damn, life is complicated.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join