It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The importance of identity secrecy when TSHTF

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Making a bugout bag and having a safe spot are critical ,but never forget that as you travel you will be in danger,if you have women and children with you,specifically women you may choose to make provisions to immediatly alter their dress and physical appearance in order that they look like males.There are other things like removing any signs of religos or any political or other affiliation from ALL of your belongings,try to arrange to dress to look poor ,dont make your resources look obvious,no brand new shiny full bags ,ect.

Acting is a large component of survival when you must interact with other people in desperate times.There will be sharks everywhere ,groups ,that will be hunting.

You must be prepared to outsmart these groups because even if you are armed, as a leader ,you cannot allow your group to be killed in a gunbattle if possible.

So you must rehearse these scenarios and decide ahead of time who,how,and when ,someone will be scrificed as a reargaurd or a martyr for the group.These are realities and the last thing you want to do is lose your alpha leader as a martyr,a leader must be prepared to assign life and death tasks sometimes not telling the participants.

There are many types of survival skills we need to hone ,please dont overlook these ones,U2U me if you would like some scenarios to practice.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Please post any scenarios and tactics of this type you can think of.

I'll start,you and your group of ten family members are stopped on the highway be a vehicle blocking your way,there is a group of people,of about twenty,mixed gender,armed,that you can see ahead with the binoculars you have.You cannot turn around.There are several women of varous ages in your group ,five,half your group,you have one grandpa,two ten year old boys ,one sixteen year old teenager ,and a thirty five year old as the males.You have one rifle and one shotgun,and several knives as your primary means of defense.Only you are an experienced shooter.

You can add as many details about the gear you and your group have ect. just pick up where I left off and use all of your creativity changing details as you go and letting the next poster do the same ,we will solve these problems together ,maybe?

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I would say that the first step should be to observe my surroundings and assess the situation. Is the highway occupied by many unoccupied vehicles or just the one, which would mean a set up? Just that little piece of information right there could sum up the attitude of the armed individuals ahead of you. Do the people ahead seemed to be making their way down the road or are they stopped there? I would definitely have to say that is step one.

[Edit] because my sentence structure was terrible there near the end.

[edit on 21-2-2010 by angrymomma]

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Lets say there are two trucks both completely blocking the road crossways,and the people are milling around the trucks,there doesnt appear to be a solid defense or organisation,but you can see guns.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by one4all

I like this advice but not just for a SHTF scenario. I do this when i have travelled, it really helps prevent pick pockets for a start but it also reduces your chances of being mugged. You don't need to look like you're homeless, but roughing up your shiny new bag, using something that has minimal colour and generally making yourself look like a poor mark are good things to do.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Let's say grandpa has some military experience. Grandpa stays in or around the vehicle with the rifle. I would hope that said rifle has a scope.

I can see no way of getting out of this without having to confront the large group of people as we can not turn around and take another route. So I would send our 35 yr. old male, hands up from the get go, approach the group. The man has nothing but a knife on him, clipped to his pocket where it can be easily seen.

If the group is vigilant you will find out right away how they feel about someone approaching their outpost.

The "leader" of the large group should make himself/herself known very quickly, as he/she is the one that would respond to our man's approach first. That is the person grandpa needs to keep in his sight. This not meant to be aggressive but just a precaution.

Then I guess dialogue would take place...hopefully. If we don't want to put our only experienced male into danger I suggest maybe sending one of the more savvy...don't know if that is the right word...women.

I know, being a woman and all, that we can be very strong, just as much as a man. We can perform well in many situations just as well as a man. But sending out a woman when there is a perfectly viable man would seem like weakness to any aggressor. That is not to put down my sex, that is the real world view of how most people would take. Especially in such a scenario.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
You make some good points one4all. If you can avoid said situation so much the better. Running any blockade sounds like suicide to me particularly if numbers are not on your side.
Believe it or not, the MOST valuable skill of all in a group would be hand signals that are understood by all. During foot travel it allows for no talking and keeps noise to a minimum. In a situation such as that described you could use something like scratching your head to signal your person with the rifle to shoot. During a real sitX there will be many times you may need to contact others to trade or find help with things and having a set of protocol and hand signals can help protect you from being taken advantage of.
In all honesty it would make the most sense to send the most expendable person in the group (yes, grandpa). Which in my family would be me. My limited physical abilities make me somewhat of a burden on any group so I would send myself.
Good thread, I'll be interested to see what others have to add.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Is my group traveling by foot? If so, I'd simply leave the road and go around. No contact is safe contact.

Now, while that'd be my first choice, it's easy, and nothing's going to be easy in these situations. So, we'll assume that the threat ahead must be confronted, for one reason or another.

Angrymomma has the right idea in my opinion. There are two advantages that my group needs to safely get by this rogue "checkpoint". A tactical advantage, either real or implied, and a psychological advantage. The minute your opposition becomes aware of your tactical advantage, the psychological advantage is auto-magic. That's not the end however, especially if there's no way around for any of our group. Say you send grandpa up to confront the checkpoint, and he successfully convinces them that there are snipers watching everything. Maybe you even shoot a can out of his hand or something to put the fear of god in them. Remember, there's no way for any of your group to go around, all must go through. So they agree to let your group pass, now what? All your cards are on the table, and you must give up your tactical advantage in order to pass.

First of all, it needs to be determined why this "checkpoint" even exists. Are these guys there to guard something? Prevent entrance to an area? If so, do you want to pass? May be more trouble than it's worth. The alternative may be more nefarious. If it's determined that they're there to rob travelers for supplies, etc. the approach has to be a little more heavy handed if passage is critical. If this is the case, you're simply not going to safely get your group through, no matter what. In this case, you've got to engage and overcome your enemy if you want to pass, and given the numbers, composition, and armament of both groups, success is not likely.

If cover and concealment are plentiful, as is your rifle ammunition, you play Carlos Hathcock, disable their vehicles and attempt to pick 'em all off, but it's a dangerous plan for most, with little chance of success.

Essentially, you need grandpas intel, and decide if you have a chance that you want to take, of these guys being the 'nice' variety, who are guarding a sanctuary for survivors up the road. If not, you probably want to sit, wait and watch for a while. Sooner or later, they're either going to leave, or it will become apparent that this is a permanent emplacement, and you probably want to turn around and find a long way around.

The bottom line, is that you need to find out what their intentions are, why they're there, while keeping the majority of your group relatively safe. Angrymomma has that covered. One of your group approaches, with a sharp-shooter keeping an eye on things. If things go bad, a body or two hitting the ground may provide enough confusion and fear to allow your emissary to escape and regroup. Or maybe not.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
While I'm not clear on why I couldn't turn around (vehicle assumed), or reverse it the way we just came,
I would agree with Asktheanimals, send Grandpa.

Have him inquire about directions, or alternate routes.

He may come off as less threatening, while having the life experience to assess the situation realistically.

Send the rest of the group for a "potty break" preferable behind some cover.

I, the experienced shooter would go to the back of the van, get out a map and pretend to be looking at the map.

I actually would be readying the shotgun and rifle behind the cover of the van.
Rifle would come up if Grandpa was in danger or harmed, shotgun would be to prevent them from coming at the rest of us.

Hopefully there aren't marksmen hiding in the brush trees, or whatever is blocking my ability to turn around.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by one4all

All my bug out bags are used military issue.I didn't want
to spend a lot of money on these things.
I am armed,but the cost of ammo keeps me from getting
the practice that I need.Ammo is also getting harder to find.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I was wondering what caliber you shoot that is so prohibitively expensive? If you can afford to, get yourself a .22 pistol ( or a .22 conversion kit for your current gun) . It takes ALL DAY to shoot up $10 worth of that.
While I'm on the subject I thought I'd mention Keltec is now making (and soon to be selling) a .22 magnum auto pistol that (get this!) holds 31 rounds. It's even a concealable size! I'm getting one of those babies for my B.O.B.
As per the ORIGINAL thread title - I DO agree it is essential that one keeps their identity concealed. Also, if in a group keep your numbers concealed as you may be able to intimidate or bluff your way through certain situations. Any sign of weakness would be taken advantage of as would any lapse in awareness. Trade would still be essential regardless of who you are, even gangs of thugs will be willing to trade for what they need if they feel they can't take it without endangering themselves.
The ablility to assess what's ahead may depend on either having the technology to look (binoculars or nightvision) or the stealth to reconnoiter in person without being seen. I would add that if traveling you should proceed slowly enough that you can spot potential problems ahead without revealing yourself or getting so close that you cannot disengage.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Awsome use or resources,I would do the same,binoculars give you a tactical advantage,you dump you numbers out of sight ,send your best shooter in as a sniper to cover your most expendable asset as you send gramps in to hopefully gain intel and get out,remember that gramps getting captured or immediatly killed does not mean an imminent retaliation by the sniper,it means a tactical retreat,if gramps pulls it off and gets back with intel great.You cant go back so if gramps is killed you better have a plan B,and quick.I suggest retreat until that night with an immediate night attack to cause definable causaulties and as much damage as possible.Someone at the roadblock must die that night and something must burn.You judge your retreat distance by the distance you can travel to and back from your immediate night attack so your hiding spot may be dictated by daylight ,so you may just consider uopon visual contact to retreat immediatly until a more advantagous time of day to enable plan B if you need it,you need enough daylight to pull your numbers back an effectively safe distance to hide them.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Ammo is getting harder to find because the demand is greater
then the supply.One gun store I visited,has a picture of Obama
as gun salesman of the year, posted on their wall.

Another thread,I read a while back,a member suggested removing
the hard drives off your computers.I am going to shred any bill
statements and other papers,I don't really need.

Good idea about getting a good pair of binoculars and night vision
goggles.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Why would a whole group need to be on the move? Wouldn't it make more sense to hunker down where you are and only send 1 person out for recon type stuff? I understand that people may be caught out in some kind of disaster scenario but not a group of 10 or more people...?

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I also do not see the point of roaming around in a survival scenario. It would be much better to find a spot to stay in. And i do not think keeping your identity secret would help or hurt anything.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I personally would think staying put would make you a target if you are not well hidden. One idea that came to mind is to fake an infectious disease. A small cut on your arm and you could make it look like you have been coughing up blood. make your whole family look like that,add a bloody nose or two. some fake wheezing going on. Or fake insanity, drool stumble. Anything to make them want to stay as far away from you as possible.

posted on Feb, 22 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Calstorm,awsome idead,but you dont want to get shot BECAUSE you have the plague when there is no law.Make sure it is something everyone knows isnt fatal,just catchy.

The scenario just happened to start with a group going in a direction they had to go in ,they couldnt go back,but anyone can change the story as we go ,thats the point ,lets take this group someplace together as a group,taking turns leading,and see what we come up with.

Whos next,I think we were sending grandpa in for intel,or does someone want to go another direction?

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

That is an awesome idea Cal. Print up some official looking quarantine signs that you can put at the edges of your property. NOBODY would come near. I'm gonna do this, I swear. Beautiful thinking my friend, simply beautiful!

Edit to add: Some people don't see why any group would have to move. How often do you have to go to the store for groceries now? What happens when you run out? What if you need to find some medicines for a sick family member? what if gangs are running amok in your neighborhood? Would it be wiser to stay and let them burn you out or just leave queitly and find another place to be? C'mon people, it would be impossible to stay in one place indefinitely unless you have a small farm, and even then there are reasons one might have to leave. Staying in one place will most likely end up with you getting killed.

[edit on 23-2-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Feb, 23 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Obviously at least one person would have to leave at some point---it seems obvious that one person can be stealthier than a group...I don't live in the city, so I wouldn't see much need to leave unless for recon type stuff--but from personal disaster experience (flood) and trying to get somewhere (to my family) --encounter a roadblock---go back and find another way...encounter police/firefighters who tell you that you cannot be on this road unless you are a policeman or fireman--it helped that my friend had a military id or I would have been walking the rest of the way.....so I dunno, find out who the "good guys" are and form an alliance..make an fake ID or get a uniform? as far as gangs of mobs, I guess make some molotov cocktails or make some homemade naplalm?

posted on Feb, 25 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

I have to disagree when you say it wont help or hurt to disguise your identity or social status.

Im sorry, but dont you think in a situation of civil unrest ( like the one described above ), people will be going for the wealthy and the prepared? Personally, I have prepared, but had I not and I was in need of supplies I wouldnt go for people/homes who look like they can barely take care of themselves anyways. I'd be looking for the people who have fancy watches/jewelry, or a Louis Vuitton bugout bag. I'd follow them back to their home and wait until night fall. If they have a mansion with a 600 bottle wine cellar, you can bet they'll have a nicely stocked pantry and water supply. Thats why its important to look like a bum, or have a panic room.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join