It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a skeptic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Of Western civilization.

Of the need for government.

Of the justice system.

Of money.

Of history.

TBC in the next few posts.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
If you're skeptical of those things, it's just an indication that you're still sane.

If you didn't question TPTB, you'd be a lost cause, right?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Western civilization.

This kinda ties into History. We are taught that until the 20th century in the West, every group of human beings ever were primitive, nasty savages who lived short, miserable lives.

Personally I think this is a complete lie. How can we know for sure? What about those tribes on islands with great longevity and happy lives?

The reason this Lie is propagated of course, is to keep us living the Modern life.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Government

Ask yourself - does the government really make the world a better place? Unless you think yes, why should it even exist?

I think we should go back to tribal living, where you have like 300 people who are all a big family.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
The justice system.

Why do we need so many jails? Just put all the druggies and petty criminals in rehab, and put the murderers and rapists in wards for the criminally insane, and crime would drop dramatically.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Money.

We have more than enough resources to go around, why do people need to go hungry and homeless?

Because money makes the world go round - for the few very rich.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
History - see Western Civilization.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
We are taught that until the 20th century in the West, every group of human beings ever were primitive, nasty savages who lived short, miserable lives.

Actually, I'm an avid history buff, and I've never heard this contention put forth.

What I know of history is that our global civilization originated in Mesopotamia several thousand years ago, and civilization has since had a number of peaks and valleys of sophistication, leading up to the present — which is, arguably, the most technologically sophisticated civilization that this planet has ever seen.

I mean, the Egyptians were possessed of some pretty spectacular megalithic construction techniques, right?

Forget it. We do it in space. We're building things that float around in the sky. We shoot at asteroids. We're on another level.

But I have never heard that we were all savages until the 20th Century. Wanna clarify that?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

You misunderstand him I think, Doc V.

You and Donnie and myself are the type of person who, Reads.

But we are few and far in between.

The average dolt on the street obviously believes that most ancient societies were primitive barbaric and disgusting.

They believe all kinds of lies.

However, for those lucky few of us whom actually READ things, and attempt to contemplate their meanings. Well, we actually KNOW how hard history is to unravel, and that most facts are not available anymore due to the erosion of time.

Yes, we know that we cannot make generalized blanket umbrella statements about events in the past, because it is clearly inaccurate on many levels.

So yes, some societies were barbaric indeed, while others were mostly peaceful or even possibly entirely isolated from the rest of the world. Each culture is so vastly different and each person led such a different life, it is invariably going to become impossibly difficult to even describe the realities of history.

Anyways, the point is, that the average dolt on the street believes in the generalized BS version of history.

WHY? Because they NEVER READ.

Very simple reason.

However, I personally believe we Modern folks are quite the barbaric savages ourselves if you really think about it.

We Humans are not perfect. Today's reality is proof of this.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Why do we need so many jails? Just put all the druggies and petty criminals in rehab, and put the murderers and rapists in wards for the criminally insane, and crime would drop dramatically.

I agree that our system of imprisoning people for lengthy sentences, feeding them, clothing them, entertaining them, tending to their healthcare needs, and sustaining them in this fashion for years on end is nonsensical.

If we're going to take people out of society — people who threaten the stability of society — then we ought to go straight to the point and remedy the problem on the spot.

KILL criminals, rather than arresting them. Just KILL their no good asses.

Headquarters: Unit Twenty-Seven, we have a 10-55 female at the corner of Hollywood and Vine. Caller advises subject is armed and dangerous. 10-17 with caution. Terminate subject and contact Public Utilities for cleanup. Over.

Oh, yeah. that has a familiar ring to it.

Or maybe let's take the criminals off the street and subject them to medical experimentation in an effort to "correct" their behavior...My hair is standing on end.

What do you propose we do with angry thugs and bat-wielding gangstas? And murderers? And Rapists?

Let them run the street? Unacceptable.

Line 'em up and shoot 'em? Definitely on the table. It's what Abraham Lincoln recommended doing.

What's your idea?

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

I agree that our system of imprisoning people for lengthy sentences, feeding them, clothing them, entertaining them, tending to their healthcare needs, and sustaining them in this fashion for years on end is nonsensical.

If we're going to take people out of society — people who threaten the stability of society — then we ought to go straight to the point and remedy the problem on the spot.

Headquarters: Unit Twenty-Seven, we have a 10-55 female at the corner of Hollywood and Vine. Caller advises subject is armed and dangerous. 10-17 with caution. Terminate subject and contact Public Utilities for cleanup. Over.

Oh, yeah. that has a familiar ring to it.

Or maybe let's take the criminals off the street and subject them to medical experimentation in an effort to "correct" their behavior...My hair is standing on end.

What do you propose we do with angry thugs and bat-wielding gangstas? And murderers? And Rapists?

Let them run the street? Unacceptable.

Line 'em up and shoot 'em? Definitely on the table. It's what Abraham Lincoln recommended doing.

What's your idea?

— Doc Velocity

No, put them in wards. We should have compassion, but not let them run free. They have families too you know. A society that just kills its sick members is sick in itself.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
You misunderstand him I think, Doc V.

Quite right, I'm not following a lot of this. I apologize for any confusion I've injected. Perhaps I'll stand back and let this develop as it will.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

I find it rather sad that you think that way regarding criminals...

While i agree that there are some criminals who are beyond redemption, what separates us from savages is our ability to empathise with ALL life. The demographics behind crime and criminality is a huge complicated subject with many different circumstances and situations to take into consideration. The law system in western world may not always produce the results that we want but it IS better than any other system we have known.

People have a RIGHT to a defence... A RIGHT to stand trial and have evidence produced to try and ensure that the correct person is jailed... gone are the days of drumhead trials and conviction on rumour... gone are the days of "She's a witch...Burn her"

To simply suggest shooting people would be a step back to those days... I can find you plenty of stories where a person has been convicted of a crime, served time, and then released after fresh evidence is discovered to prove their innocence.

I myself was convicted of a crime... I beat up a man who was abusive to my wife... Should i be shot??

This is obviously a very sensitive subject that often creates knee jerk reactions in people... but what we really need, for something this serious, is calm objective people who can make logical decisions not based on emotions and hype.

To the OP... I do understand your sentiments... Star and Flag

[edit on 19-2-2010 by Muckster]

[edit on 19-2-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Surely you jest? One can't help wonder how quickly your attitude would change if you personally were convicted of a crime you didn't commit.

However, if you do feel that way, I heard that the Taliban is running short of foot soldiers at the moment. Perhaps you could apply for a membership and dish out some sharia law?

IRM

[edit on 19/2/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   

No, put them in wards. We should have compassion, but not let them run free. They have families too you know. A society that just kills its sick members is sick in itself.

Ahem. Have you ever been in a "ward"? Like, a psycho ward?

This is not an improvement over prison.

Psycho wards are crazy places. It's like concentrated insanity in one building, right? It's not a therapeutic experience.

But WAIT The concept of the Psycho Ward is what is so screwed up. It is a goddamned bucketful of holes. The Federal Government can't control it, the State can't control it, and the citizen can't control it.

Inmates freely come and go (a ward is wide-open, it aint prison) in their respective wards and homes, as the state tries to re-engineer the convicts into drones with drugs to control their behavior.

Again, I ask, have you ever gone down in a ward and looked around?

Yeah? I have.

Do you think the ward security could handle the deluge of vicious, filthy, murdering, organized, bloodletting convicts?? Seriously?

’Cuz, sista, iffin ya don't, then we is gonna hafta build some jaylz.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 2/19/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
sorry for my ignorance but what is TPTB??

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
TPTB = The Powers That Be

— Doc Velocity

Edit to add spaces because I'm obsessive-repulsive.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Surely you jest? One can't help wonder how quickly your attitude would change if you personally were convicted of a crime you didn't commit.

A very good observation. As I have never been convicted of a crime in a court of law (oh, they tried) perhaps I don't have that delicate perspective. Perhaps you would like to offer your own experience?

A very subtle touché

— Doc Velocity

top topics

join