It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Murder Victim Mistaken For Satan)- news articles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
This is, obviously, a tragic case, involving not only a (no doubt needless/senseless/undeserved) violent death, but also, if the defense theory is accurate, another pile of suffering consisting of being afflicted with mental illness. (From working in a mental hospital as a kid I did find out that being crazy is way more like being sad than it appears to be in the movies.)

But the world is full of sad things, and I have to admit that what actually first kicked me into thinking about posting this was a certain grim appreciation for the following sentence...

The defense said Mark Becker was insane at the time of the slaying and killed Thomas because he thought he was a devil tyrant who was oppressing children and had the power to turn people into fish and animals.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

That comes from the first of these two links here
Chief: Becker suspected others of being Satan +
Doctor: Becker was better, ready to be released from hospital
which all together will put you onto four articles written by Jeff Reinitz evidently for the Waterloo - Cedar Falls Courier, the links are to appearances on wcfcourier.com.

There are numerous other striking bits from this case on the site, I would encourage you to click through and read the articles in their entirety (only if this kind of stuff is interesting to you), I don't want to cherrypick-and-spoil nor copy out the entire articles but I will cite one more example as a foretaste...

"His face was so different. It's like it was just larger...His eyes looked just right through you," she said.

She said he swore a lot and called her horrible names.

There's a bunch of (to-me-at-least) riveting testimony from the case on video there on the site, too...for example, here is the suspect's mom... Video: Mother takes stand in murder trial (part five)

Here also is a transcript of an interview with the suspect, from the same site...
Highlights of Mark Becker's interview with DCI Agent Chris Callaway
...from which...

MB: I feel like I have death in me right now...so much I can taste it. (unknown) ...In my nostrils. It's in my lungs...(unknown)...Can you see it in me?

[edit on 19-2-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Mar, 22 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

Wow, and here is an entirely different case of murder victim mistaken for Satan...if I was doing trend analysis (actually, that is all I ever do, come to think of it), I would have to score the "murder-victim-mistaken-for-Satan" concept as a definite trend-on-the-rise...hmm...

The linked article was written by Bob Albrecht for The Columbian of March 22, 2010.

Mentally ill murder suspect ordered to state mental hospital

A Vancouver man ruled legally insane when he stabbed his sister to death because he believed she was Satan has been ordered to a state mental facility for an uncertain term, a judge has ruled.
"He could be held for the rest of his life," Deputy Prosecutor Tonya Riddell said of Michael Schuurmans after the hearing.
Clark County Superior Court Judge Robert Lewis ruled today that Schuurmans remains a substantial danger to the community unless he's confined.
Absent new evidence, the judge's ruling was based on testimony and psychological evaluations submitted during a trial completed earlier this month when Schuurmans was acquitted in the February 28, 2009, slaying of Shirry L. Dohman-Rice, 53, at their home on Memphis Way in the McLoughlin Heights area.
Lewis ruled then that Schuurmans, 48, didn't know right from wrong when he lapsed into a psychotic break, believing he was God and his sister was the devil..
Now, it will be up to doctors at Western State Hospital near Tacoma to determine when, if ever, Schuurmans is mentally fit to rejoin society.
"He'll be sent to Western State pursuant to doctors' evaluations," said Tom Phelan, Schuurmans' defense attorney, who called both Lewis' decision to acquit his client earlier this month and today's ruling to assign him to Western State "appropriate."
The acquittal on the charge of first-degree murder came after two days of testimony heard on March 1 and 2.
Family members testified that Schuurmans' bipolar disorder had become progressively worse over the past few years. It was marked by a delusion that he was religiously anointed and receiving messages from the universe through the TV and media.
He eventually believed the Apocalypse was under way and that he was required to kill the "beast", whom he thought had inhabited his sister, to protect the world, defense attorney Phelan said previously.
All the doctors at Western State Hospital who evaluated Schuurmans in advance of the trial agreed he was legally insane at the time the slaying was committed, when he wasn't taking medication prescribed for his psychosis.

posted on Apr, 21 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Here's a follow-up on the Mark Becker case, the link is to zimbio.com, the byline credit is to "JJ"...

Mark Becker Gets Life For Killing Football Coach Ed Thomas

Mark Becker was handed down the mandatory life sentence ... for first degree murder. He was found guilty in March after a jury rejected his insanity plea.
At the time of the murder, Becker told police that Thomas was Satan and he killed him because the coach had been tormenting him though it had been six years since the two had met...

posted on May, 26 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Wow...here we have yet another MURDER VICTIM MISTAKEN FOR SATAN case, seemingly, evidently (better shave that devilish debonair goatee-wotee, boys, you're just begging for it)...I shouldn't joke, obviously, this is a terrible tragedy and a lifetime of sadness, no doubt and for sure...
This article was written by Brandon Johansson, the link is to The Aurora Sentinel for May 19, 2010.
Son described father as 'Satan' in stabbing

With a bloody bandage on his hand, Trevor Stewart calmly approached a Jefferson County security guard late last month and confessed to killing his father.

“I’m going to be honest with you,” Stewart, 22, said when the guard asked about the blood. “I just killed my dad.”

That exchange and other bizarre comments — including that Stewart’s three pit bulls, God and characters from the film “American Pie 2” told him to kill his father — are detailed in an arrest affidavit filed against Stewart in the April 27 death of his father, Robert.

Trevor Stewart, who family members said after the slaying had recently been diagnosed with schizophrenia, was arrested April 28 after talking to the security guard and is being held without bond at the Arapahoe County Jail. He is due in court Thursday.

After the comments to the security guard and a sheriff’s deputy in Jefferson County, police found Robert Stewart, 55, dead in the family’s home on East Rowland Drive in a tony southeast Aurora neighborhood. He had been stabbed multiple times and had a large knife sticking out of the back of his head. Police also said in the affidavit that officers found between 40 and 50 marijuana plants at the home.

According to the affidavit, filed by Aurora police Detective Warren Miller, Stewart told the sheriff’s deputy he stabbed his father 10 times in the head and slit his throat.

In an interview with Aurora police, Stewart said he killed his father because he believed his father was Satan and because his father and brother tried to poison him, first with a drink and later with tainted marijuana.

“It’s the best thing that ever happened to this world,” Stewart told police. “He is Satan, are you kidding me? I am glad that he is gone, he is Satan. It was the right thing to do no matter what.”

Stewart said the night of the slaying, he and his father went to a restaurant for food.

When they returned home, Stewart threw out his drink from the restaurant because he believed his father — who at this point in the interview he referred to only as Satan — had poisoned it.

Later, Stewart’s three dogs told him he needed to kill his father. When he walked into the family’s living room, “American Pie 2” was on the television and the characters also told him to kill his father.

“(Stewart) advised that he is Jesus and that God spoke to him and told him to kill (his father),” Miller wrote in the affidavit.

Stewart said that while his dad was cutting up marijuana plants, Stewart grabbed a kitchen knife and stood in front of a mirror for about 20 minutes thinking about what to do.

Then, when his father turned his back, Stewart plunged a kitchen knife several inches into his father’s skull.

Robert Stewart survived the initial attack and turned around.

“Trevor, what are you doing?” he said, at which point Stewart stabbed his father several more times.

Stewart said the knife’s blade bent in the attack and, because he believed his father was faking being dead, he used another knife to cut his father’s throat.

During the attack, Stewart cut his hand and covered it with a bandage because he believed his father’s blood was poison and would kill him.

Stewart’s lawyer, public defender Jennifer Ahnsted, did not return a call for comment Wednesday.

The bit about the drink tasting poisoned happens a lot when you have schizophrenia, evidently, in my experience with the group...things taste off, your head and neck feel weird too...

(And I'll probably go to hell (again) for insensitivity for pointing this out, but, the characters in American Pie 2 are in fact the same as the characters in American Pie, right?...if I was writing the piece I would have glossed it that way...)

The poor dad, saying "What are you doing?", while his boy stabs him...sad and rough, for sure...

[edit on 26-5-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Here we have another one, that I would score as murder victim mistaken for Satan ...the link is topwirenews.com, byline given is to Tara Monks...
Former MMA fighter tortured, killed friend

Crescent City, CA – A California man will be arraigned Friday, June 4, 2010 on charges of murder, aggravated mayhem and torture in the killing of his friend, 21-year-old Taylor Powell, according to The Daily Triplicate.

Jarrod Wyatt, 26, of Klamath, is accused of cutting his friend’s heart from his chest and tearing off his face in a gruesome attack spurred by hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Del Norte County Sheriff’s Deputy Elwood Lee testified that he arrived at the scene after the incident in March and found Wyatt naked and covered in dried blood. Next to Wyatt was a body on the couch with an 18-inch incision in the chest and most of its face removed.

Lee said Wyatt admitted to the crime then, telling him, “I killed him,” and that “Satan was in that dude.”

Wyatt is believed to have cut out the man’s tongue and cooked parts of his body because he thought that Powell was still alive.

The two friends practiced mixed martial arts together.

Wyatt’s defense attorney claims that Wyatt had a psychotic break and could not control his actions. He stated his argument, “My client was trying to silence the devil…I think he was having a psychotic fit based on the mushrooms he had.”

Witnesses at the preliminary hearing that took place on the week of May 24 reported that Wyatt and Powell became convinced a tidal wave was coming. They believed it was the end of the word and the final struggle between God and Satan was about to happen.

Two others ingested the mushroom tea. Wyatt’s ex-girlfriend, Billy Jo Bailey, and another man were at the scene. Bailey reported she thought she heard the men wrestling but realized it was worse when she saw Wyatt curled on the floor and Powell on the couch. The fourth man called 911 after discovering what was happening.

Wyatt faces first-degree murder charges if premeditation can be proved.

The cooking of the victim's body, or parts thereof, seems particularly off...I mean, people eat Jesus, they don't eat Satan, right? Not that he did eat the victim, but the cooking...yeoww...

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Creepy to say the least!

Maybe murderers are just catching onto this defensive tactic?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

The trend seems to me to be up, for sure...
Various possible hypotheses as to why we would see more Satan now, do occur to me...all speculative, but fun...

posted on Jul, 3 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Here we have ANOTHER one to file under "Murder Victim Mistaken For Satan"...

I tell you what, I am starting to feel clever, like I have stumbled onto something here, with this thread concept...

The link is to oaoa.com. dated June 22, 2010, the author's name is David A. Johnson... this is Odessa Texas seemingly...

Fourth Street stabbing

"I killed Satan.”

According to residents at West Fifty-One Apartments, that’s what 47-year-old James Spencer Williams said at about 9:15 p.m. as he walked around the courtyard with a bloody knife before running off.

In apartment No. 8, Antonio “Tony” Villa, 59, was quickly dying from a fatal stab wound in his upper torso.

Williams was arrested at 9:31 p.m. and charged with murder.

Villa was pronounced dead at 11:34 p.m.

It was a surreal scene, but one the residents of 2251 W. Fourth St. said they’d come to expect.

The complex shows signs of graffiti and vandalism, blood aged brown flecked the doorframe where Villa’s still-red blood had dried on the concrete below.

But Bruce Wood, 36, said he had lived there for a year, and it was a peaceful and quiet place before Williams arrived a few months ago.

"People could sit outside and enjoy themselves," Wood said.

More recently, Wood said his own friends haven’t wanted to come over.

“One morning he was running around in his underwear and some lady’s shirt,” Wood said.

Other residents also described Williams walking around the courtyard wearing women’s clothing or very little, engaging in bizarre behavior such as digging holes and filling them with concrete, walking long distances barefoot at night, and ripping cushions to spread outside.

Residents said that several weeks ago, Williams used a bat to break windows on the lower level, including his own, which was the source of the older blood.

Inside Williams’ home, an assortment of odd and most broken items were plainly visible, including torn furniture, a bicycle on its side, and an upright baby carriage.

Abel Flores, 44, said Williams was somebody nobody wanted to be around, for other reasons.

“He had some kind of book,” Flores said, which Flores described as large and black, but he wasn’t sure if it was a Bible. Flores said Williams would walk around with his hands up, mumbling, “I ain’t afraid of Satan. I’ll kill Satan.”

“He claimed he was Jesus Christ,” said Sam Slate, 44, who said he was dating Villa’s 30-year-old niece Jo Dominguez. Slate said police had often been called out to the complex and Williams had been arrested before, but was never gone long. Slate said he wasn’t surprised by the stabbing.

“It was just destined to happen,” Slate said.

Although no one had a bad word to say about Villa, who didn’t live at the complex, Slate said Williams had fought with Villa before. Slate said things really got bad when Villa hit Williams with a shovel in an argument.

“James (Williams) said he was gonna get him back,” Slate said.

Joseph Fischer, 47, who lives in No. 8, said he and Villa were in Fischer’s apartment Monday night watching God’s Learning Channel with the front door open for the cool air.

Fischer said Williams just walked inside.

“We weren’t expecting nothing,” Fischer said. “I thought they’d kind of patched it up.”

But then Fischer said Williams yelled, “I’m gonna kill you Satan,” before stabbing Villa once with a knife and going back out the door, shouting that he’d killed the devil.

“We were all friends at one time or another,” Fischer said.

It's my belief that almost all true crime stories contain rules to live by...sometimes they are rules for you if you are the criminal, other times they are rules to bear in mind if you are not the criminal...one of the rules you can glean from this one is don't hit a crazy man with your shovel ...he's liable to bear a grudge, maybe, huh...could be bad luck...

[edit on 3-7-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Okay, this one is not quite "Murder Victim Mistaken For Satan" but it is close..."murder victim's unborn baby mistaken for Satan's unborn baby"...something similar to that, you take my point I'm sure...

The link is to cbc.ca, dated March 19, 2010, I see no writer's name listed for me to give credit to...

Pregnant woman's killer loses appeal to top court

An Edmonton man who killed a pregnant childhood friend has lost an appeal to the Supreme Court Canada of his first-degree murder conviction.

In 2007, Jared Eugene Baker, then 21, was found guilty in the slaying of Olivia Talbot.

Talbot, 19, was pregnant when Baker shot her three times in the stomach and twice in the head in November 2005.

At trial, Baker admitted to shooting Talbot but insisted he was under a drug-induced psychosis at the time. He said he was high on crystal meth and thought Talbot's baby might be his or Satan's.

The conviction was upheld by the Alberta Court of Appeal in a 2-1 decision released in August 2009.

The appeal was heard and dismissed by the Supreme Court...

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Okay, now, I know that killing a dog is not murder...And some people would say that Chihuahuas are Satan...but I digress...but still, this here article does fit in with the exciting thread topic...

The link is to pnj.com, dated August 3, 2010, author is Kris Wernowsky...

Man thought dog was Satan, deputies say

A Gulf Breeze man is charged with killing and skinning the family dog on Sunday because he believed it was possessed by the devil.
Matthew O. Foote, 25, is being held without bond on a third-degree felony of cruelty to animals. He is expected to make his first appearance in court this afternoon.
Foote told investigators he believed the 7-year-old dachshund Chihuahua mix, named Sasha, was possessed by Satan, according to a Santa Rosa Sheriff's Office report.
..."He told me he did not really know why he killed his dog except that he thought the dog was Jesus," [Deputy] Rush wrote. "He then corrected himself and said Satan."
...Foote also said he spent the preceding weekend in Louisiana where he met a lot of "evil people." He told the investigator that he also punched a girl on a bus and believed that "something was put in the water," the arrest report says.

There are gory details, distressing to animal lovers, in the actual article... be warned...the poor dog wouldn't die et cetera...

I wonder if the bit about "something being put in the water" is because the water tasted off to Foote, tying in with the previous theme of beverages tasting funny when you are schizophrenic, already seen in this thread...

But I do have to back Foote up, about how he met "a lot of evil people in Louisiana"...I met a lot of evil people in Louisiana too...I don't think that's unusual...

[edit on 3-8-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Hm, I would note how these cases occur in western countries. Christianity is the dominant religion here so the "Satan" bit doesn't surprise me. Satan is the ultimate embodiment of evil in our culture. If we went to a culture that didn't really believe in "Satan",. I wonder if we'd even see this a lot. Not really murders, we know that happens, rather the mistaking someone or something for satan.

Oh and look:

SATAN!

[edit on 3-8-2010 by antonia]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Funny, Satan wants to give me stuff, he is slick, and friendly, and a smooth operator..its God that always wants to smack me....for being bad...
I don't like being punished...for ever...by some one who makes imposible rules...and tells me to go to war because the other people that believe in him are evil...just 'cause their church faces the other direction and is on another street....

I just think there is something that doesn't make sense about the god devil dichotomy..did we have psychotic murderers before we had religion?
I wonder how they justified it then?

oh yeah, SandF
muhaha!

edit sounds like prozac oddly enough
[edit on 3-8-2010 by Danbones]

[edit on 3-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The mental health system (if we even have one) is doing nothing to see that those with severe mental illness prone to delusions and violence are given the proper treatment. Today they are monitored for a day or 2, given medication and sent on their way - most don't like to take their meds because of side effects. I too have worked in the Mental Health field and my ex was a psychologist in a hospital - something needs to be done and soon!

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
May I have some more please??

Please keep an eye open for more...I'm now addicted... LOL

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SmokeyDawn

Now this here case is borderline, I almost didn't include it...because it can just as easily be said that, instead of suspect dude mistaking his mom for Satan, he just called her Satan, because he didn't like her very much (and really, who doesn't compare someone to Satan like that every once in a while?)...But I decided to go ahead and lump it in, maybe what tipped me was the quote, "If you strike the devil, you must kill her"...do you feel me on that one?

The link is to post-gazette.com, dated August 19, 2010 (this is The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette we are talking about, yes)...the author is Kaitlynn Riely...

Suspect in India put angry posts on Facebook

Joncarlo Patton posted a message on his Facebook wall on Aug. 5: "In Dubai, leaving for Sri lanka soon, then India, then home
."
Eight days later, his mother, Cindy Iannarelli, 51, of South Fayette, was killed, her throat slit with a knife. Joncarlo, 15, and a former South Fayette High School student, was detained at an airport 60 miles away in Jodhpur, India while trying to board a flight to Delhi.
A post April 21 said "if you strike the devil, you must kill her." His friends asked what he meant, but Joncarlo didn't explain.
...he wrote: "oh satan, how long will it take u to learn that u can take the lion out of the pride, but you cant take the pride of a lion?"

Lest you think I am overstating, there's other references to mom-as-Satan in the actual article, if you click through...there's just no room for them in the (too short) exciting new ATS news snippet box...

[edit on 22-8-2010 by nine-eyed-eel]

top topics

join