It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Powerpuff Girls march on Washington

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I realize this is old, but it's interesting that after five years apparently this has never been discussed on ATS.

The Powerpuff Girls was an animated television show (mostly) for children that aired in the US from 1998 to 2005. It's cute, funny, and rather more clever than probably most children's shows.

The final episode has never been aired in the US. source 1 Source 2

In this episode, the three heroines are asked by a gnome to give up their powers to ensure peace and security. They do. And, as this synopsis describes:

Content from external source:
...even though the gnome has provided safety he has robbed the town of its freewill.

As he falls into oblivion he realizes that he ultimetly became the evil he sought to destroy

Here is the episode: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

For those who have a difficult time sitting through the cuteness and the singing of the first two parts at least watch the first few minutes of Part 3, which depicts citizens as cows being marched to be slaughtered by the "butcher of freedom." Listen to the lyrics singing questions like "Do the people have to be freedom-beef for safety on the streets?" Listen to the professor asking the girls "Don't you think that it's time that you fought for freedom?" while he stands in front of a fullscreen US flag. Watch the girls as they march on the capital building with a US flag in hand to forcefully remove the villain to whom they gave up their freedoms.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5fd2cb0fe171.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2f5f8edb01a0.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/96a4470a4653.jpg[/atsimg]

Perhaps this message that giving up your freedoms to ensure peace and safety is a bad idea was considered innappropriate for the US audience. Perhaps this message that those who seek to take our freedoms become the very evil from which we seek safety and security was considered unsuitable for children growing up in post 9-11 America.

But considered by whom?

Who censored this episode? It aired in Canada and Europe, but not the US. Why? Are there really powers out there seeking to keep messages of freedom hidden from us? Hidden from our children?

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by LordBucket

i use to watch this show with my kids.
this is a very good find and thank you for posting.

-subfab

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I imagine the information could be had. Do you know who wrote the episode? Who produced? Who owns the rights to it? I imagine that the artist had a vision. If you could get ahold of him he'd probably be willing to play stoolie as he most probably wanted it to air; simply to spread the message.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Wow. How very odd. I never watched the show before. Knew about it though. I found my self scratching me head when they got to the gnome in the bath tube.

I only watched the first few minutes of Part 3. The butcher singing really drives the message home and then when he isn't 'singing' in the one part at 00:45 he's jabbing his fists at you to the beat pounding the message in. It also seems like there could be some subliminal message at that point. Maybe just the flashes were bugging me out.

I definitely think that some people would not want the children to see that and start thinking....

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
The series was created by Craig McCracken. Produced by Hanna-Barbera until 2001 when Cartoon Network Studios took over Cartoon Network.

I'm actually going to see if I can personally get ahold of Craig McCracken. Maybe he will let it be known why his last episode was squelched in the States.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
S&F. Very interesting.

I'll be following this closely to see what develops.

Can't watch the episode right now, but had a thought. Perhaps it was "censored" because it was considered a trifle....violent? i know cartoons and violence, that sounds ridiculous, but the thing about cartoon violence is its cartoony. You know, the coyote falls off a 1000 foot cliff and takes an anvil to the forehead, but in the next screen you see him strapped to an ACME rocket ready to try again. In other words, it feels surreal.

Perhaps this episode's violence didn't have a surreal enough feel to it?

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I've done what I can to contact him at this point. I just spent the last few hours searching the interweb for some type of contact info. The best I got was a Facebook page. I went ahead and sent him a message asking why the episode was never aired. I'm patiently waiting for a response. (crosses fingers)

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste

I'm actually going to see if I can personally get ahold of
Craig McCracken. Maybe he will let it be known why his last
episode was squelched in the States.

Great idea.

Craig created the Powerpuff Girls, but the episode lists Chris Savino and Dave Smith as writers and storyboarders. I've sent an email to what appears to be Chris' personal email address, but I'm having a more difficult time locating David. There's an art gallery owned by someone of the same name, but he's not listed as an artist.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Chris Savino

I've received a response from Chris:

Christopher Savino Thu 2/18/10 4:11 PM
"Hey Everyone...

The episode did not air in the US but did air everywhere else. I'm pretty certain that it was not because of the obvious message that we were conveying... I do believe that the powers that be felt it was laden with drug references (which I assure you it was not). It's a shame that it never aired here, but somehow the fact that they wouldn't air it makes the episode that much better! Ha! Thanks to Youtube, everyone can see it, but it looks so much better uncompressed. "

So official word seems to be concerns over drug references. Which I don't really understand. I'm not seeing any myself unless you want to really stretch and suggest that "sparkly colors" are a drug reference, but on the other hand Executive Meddling is notorious for being ridiculous.

Can someone more familiar with the drug culture offer some input? Where are the drug references?

As a side note, after watching through a second time specifically looking for things that might have bothered the censors I noticed something I missed the first time through: The shot fired by Fuzzy Lumpkins 11 seconds into the episode isn't a laser. The sound is a gun sound insetad of a laser sound. US television has always had an issue with guns in cartoons. Elmer Fudd is the only daytime cartoon character I'm aware of to ever get away with using a gun instead of a laser. Even the old GI Joe episodes with guns were later airbrushed over to turn them into lasers.

But Christopher says drug references. So again...can anyone point them out for us?

Incidentally, take a look at Chris' current project: Bigfoot and Gray on the run. It's an independant live action short in which "Bigfoot and an Alien must use their dim wits to blend into the human world and avoid Government capture."

Sounds to me like Chris would fit in really well around here.

[edit on 18-2-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Certainly wasn't on drug references.

The ugly monsters look like the tranny government, and bankers. Which I could relate to, not only that but destroyed the peoples' city that they live in too. Until the gnome showed up and got rid of the (monsters) shadow government, and fixed up the messed and broken down city, in exchange for the powerpuff girl's powers, so that the gnome could have all the control and establish a religion state instead of a police state, so there's your change. (So maybe the gnome is the Antichrist of some sort or the "Messiah"?)

Here's a quote that the gnome said on part 2.

Which I thought was true,
"Take this flower and live in peace. Remember who changed your lives and was not police."

On part 3

I figured The Butcher had a very strong message as a way to put it, that we are cattle. Getting our hopes, dreams, and freedoms crushed. "For the safety on the streets."(HA! FREEDOM BEEF!) (Alex Jones and Ron Paul for some reason popped in my head.)

And then you see the powerpuff girls revolt against the gnome for lying and to fight for their true freedom. (Revolution)

Kinda makes sense to me of where we currently are in this world. Should be viewed by everyone, including children. Just to relize the truth of how blinded we were.

I personally thought that the Gnome was a good guy. But the gnome was awfuly power hungry. And the powerpuff girls are like, THAT'S IT! WE JUST WANT TO LIVE OUR OWN LIVES THE WAY WE WANT IT TO BE!

[edit on 18-2-2010 by Shrukin89]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Shrukin89

Certainly wasn't on drug references.

Yes, I received a followup clarification on that from Chris:

Chris Savino Thu 2/18/10 5:33 PM
"Again... There are no drug references in this episode. It was more a fear that there MAY be. Sad."

So maybe the gnome is the Antichrist?)

That had crossed my mind...his features look slightly devilish, and people are shown apparently bowing and worshipping him. Though when he's cast into oblivion at the end it sounds like he's genuinely realizing why he was wrong and accepting it, rather than still being bad.

Also, that white expanding sphere and disintegrating rose at the end really looks to me like it's supposed to imply a nuclear explosion. Though granted the "explosion" looks more like Akira than a mushroom cloud.

Incidentally, does anyone know what the gnome is saying during the chanting sequences? It sounds like real language, not theatrical doubletalk.

Also, I can no longer edit the original post, but after a few page refreshes it seems that the first image isn't working. Here's the image. If any mods are reading this, would you fix the link? Thank you.

files.abovetopsecret.com...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/57b095c453af.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 18-2-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordBucket

So maybe the gnome is the Antichrist?)

That had crossed my mind...his features look slightly devilish, and people are shown apparently bowing and worshipping him. Though when he's cast into oblivion at the end it sounds like he's genuinely realizing why he was wrong and accepting it, rather than still being bad.

Also, that white expanding sphere and disintegrating rose at the end really looks to me like it's supposed to imply a nuclear explosion. Though granted the "explosion" looks more like Akira than a mushroom cloud.

Incidentally, does anyone know what the gnome is saying during the chanting sequences? It sounds like real language. [edit on 18-2-2010 by LordBucket]

That could be a possibility, that the disintegrating rose could be a nuclear explosion. Or it could be the fall of his kingdom. Or a fall of his power.

For the chanting sequences, "Shall I look at dis centra mak i to"

I looked at the word "centra" and looked up the word "Central" and the other meaning: Is having or denoting supreme power over a country or organization. (Central Government) might have some relevence.

Convert chant into: Shall I look at this central, Make it OHHHH.
Or you can also hear the chant in reverse, and pick out the words that you do hear in english. It's all interesting.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Shrukin89

"Shall I look at dis centra mak i to"

To you, sir...I give Caramell Dansen, the misheard lyrics. Or, if you prefer, The Fishmaster. Also, Dragostea Din Tei, also known as "the numa numa song" is quite entertaining. Poor Miss Hilton.

I don't think the gnome is chanting in english. To me it sounds like "Chai lai, loche de shamcha mechito".

According to google, "chai lai" is "dangerous flowers" in Thai, which makes sense given the recurring theme of roses, but I'm just guessing the spelling for the rest, and I'm not finding most of the other words.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Wow. Interesting episode.

I like what the Gnome says as he falls to his death:

As I descend to the earth and I view the Universe above me, I realize that life evolves, revolves, and dissolves completely around the opposites. Therefore, I conclude that I cannot exist in my Utopian mind.

Maybe he was quoting someone? I'm afraid I'm not so scholarly and learnèd, especially at 5:30 in the morning.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I have yet to receive a response from Craig. On the note of your response from Chris. Did he really say "the powers that be?" That's exactly what I was hoping from this. Some sort of admission by those involved with a media outlet making reference to TPTB! Wow.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Perhaps the notion of government oppression, et al, is not just in the minds of the so called enlightened. I mean, do you have to scream for freedom, have to see planes on autopilot crash into your own buildings, have to yell false flag at every opportunity, in order to claim "Hey thats an idea!" ?

If there is an evil, be it secret or overt, why is it always something hidden and subtle that only the unknown chosen can determine?

I've seen many cartoons with obvious conspiracy innuendo. It's done on purpose. It's the same as making all cartoons involving UFO's involve a cow abduction. It's just how it runs.

I hope we don't sit back and go "AHHA! That cartoon UFO abducting a cow - I've read how UFO's abduct cows, and by my superior reasoning, I deduce that this cartoon is a secret message to the elite, that UFO Cow Abductions are real!"

Red = bad. Green = good. Blue = calm. Yellow = alert.

White = peace. Black = covert.

We are just accustomed to things having a certain meaning. Oppression comes by way of government. More so today than ever, because it's nu-age to find it in every single thing.

So some dude in front of the US flag while the cows march towards the freedom slaughterhouse or whatever it was, is symbolism - who else are they going to use as the symbols? Or is using the US - the worlds biggest boyscout/bully/friend/enemy as the symbol, just toooooo hard to comprehend?!?!

Maybe this is why it's aimed to young kids... they just laugh and say that was silly.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste

the only network to air this show in the US was Cartoon Network!!!
but i could have swore i seen this ep when i was around 15 or 16. yes i am a guy and i watched power puff girls wanna fight about it?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Kurotachi

As was previously addressed in this thread; it never aired in the US. So I assure you that you are mistaken.

I'm 22 and a male and I just watched this episode yesterday, wanna fight about it?

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste

Chris. Did he really say "the powers that be?"

Yes. The italicized text was direct copy and paste from his email. However, within the context of the message, my impression was that he was referring to the show's executive staff, not secret government.

"Chai lai, loche de shamcha mechito".

In regards to the chanting, feedback in this thread suggests that it's spanish saying something about victory for the little devil.

posted on Feb, 21 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Namaste

hehehe
that wanna fight about it is a quote from the show family guy by the way
. but anyway i swear i have seen that episode somewhere before i seen it on here because i remember the little gnome and his chant. i remembered it all by only hearing him start saying it. idk why but its true ive seen it somewhere before and it wasnt on the internet. :S

top topics

<<   2 >>

join