It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood director [Kevin Smith] declared too fat to fly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Hollywood director [Kevin Smith] declared too fat to fly

au.news.yahoo.com

Hollywood film director Kevin Smith was left red-faced and furious after he was asked to disembark from a flight due to his weight.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
How embarrassing. I guess rules are rules.

I like some of this guys movies and they are rather popular. I would have thought he would have flown business class where the seats are like heaven. Not back in the cattle class with the rest of us.

It doesn't sound like he was given much dignity (if it was even possible). You would hope that it was done quietly if it was you.

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I don't even understand how people can get upset over that. How can you reason out being allowed to take up multiple seats on a plane for the price of one seat? How? It just doesn't compute in my brain the logic of these people. Is it because their feelings may be hurt in pointing out the obvious? Too bad, reality hurts.

What's actually not fair is having to be the guy sitting next to the fat idiot who refuses to pay for two seats so his sweaty folds are draped over half your body.

Pay for two (three?) seats, or put down the god damn fork!

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Would be nice to see some guidelines on what they constitute as too fat to fly, because I've had roomates that made Kevin Smith look like a bleepin gymnast. Dude ain't tiny but hes not Jabba or anything quite like that, I almost wonder if there is a bit more to this like the person who declared him too fat to fly having something against him perhaps because of one of his films?

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The problem is there are guidelines, and he didn't violate them. Southwest determines the too fat to fly if you cannot lower the arm rests of your seat and he could or if you need the seat belt extender, which he also did not. There were no complaints from the two women sitting on either side of him.

And the reason he was flying coach is that is all that Southwest offers there is no business or first class.

He's the first to admit that he is fat. He's constantly making fun of himself about his weight. But he fell within the guidelines of Southwest's policy.

And if you followed his side of the story, the two things that really set him off were that a guy bigger than him wasn't bothered on the flight that he was removed from, and then a woman on the flight he ended up on was hassled (and she also didn't actually violate the policy) and there was an empty seat (that he purchased) already between him and this woman...

So its not really a case of "ha ha fatty got booted" but more a case of some airline employee overreaching their authority.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
American Airlines should buy a small fleet of C-5 Galaxy's. As long as you can be loaded with a forklift and secured with a tether, no problem. Then when it lands they just open up the back and let everyone roll down the ramp onto the tarmac where dump trucks wait to shuttle them the remaining 12 feet to the front door.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieOctopus

Wow, thats harsh

Sounds like you have a real issue with the larger kind

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
And then he gets on the next flight on the same airline. Definitely sounds like some douche pilot looking to flex his authoritarian muscle. But let's give him a break; he's probably drunk.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Not really fat people as a rule; more like whiny useless people who also happen to be fat.

I make that distinction now to account for someone I met recently that changed my mind. My girl introduced me to her friend "Big Gay John", who as the name implies is a rather large flamboyant man.. easily the largest, gayest man I've ever met.

Big Gay John is a chef at a high end restaurant here in town (you know the food there is going to be amazing if the chef is a 600 pound gay dude). This guy has no problem with being huge and frankly it fits his personality lol. My point is that there's nothing inherently wrong with being fat, be as fat as you want, be so fat you can't fit through your door if you want, but don't make society pay for it.

Airlines and movie theatres shouldn't have to pay for your choices in life. Tax payers shouldn't have to pay disability to people who say they've gotten to fat to work. Businesses shouldn't get sued when a 500+lb man sits in a chair that wasn't designed with their inhuman size in mind and breaks it.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Pretty stupid to make the creator Silent Bob ticked off. If there is anyone with the creativity to make an airline look bad, it is him. Not to mention how many cult followers he has.

Jay and Silent Bob are freaking hysterical.

Sounds like a pilot with a gripe.

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I wouldnt mess with him, look how he owns this heckler!!!!!

If you are offended by bad language dont watch this

new topics

top topics

join