It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Scientific)Revolution Now!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
This is originally a paper I wrote for a philosophy class called 'Science, Pseudoscience, and Subjectivity'. So, I figured it could either go in the philosophy board, or the science board. I put it here in the science, so as to generate a lil' more controversy, but Mods feel free to put it wherever.

Most of you at ATS are probably aware of the ideas in the paper, but I thought that some might find it interesting.

I believe that the moment is near when, by a procedure of active paranoiac thought, it will be possible to systematize confusion and contribute to the total discrediting of the world of reality.
-Salvador Dali

We are currently seeing an attempt at a scientific revolution in physics, and possibly a paradigm shift the world over. In fact we are smack dab in the middle of it. A paradigm is a system of ideal framework in which the majority of society’s beliefs and practices exist in. This includes prevailing scientific practices and beliefs, political practices and beliefs, and religious practices and beliefs. Paradigms are usually well established and engrained in the society they exist in, providing the people within the society a basis of common knowledge and reference that can be used to relate to and partake in the society.
In Dan Brown’s new book, The Lost Symbol, he very eloquently describes the possible revolution and paradigm shift. Brown’s book revolves around something called Noetic Science, and the Institute of Noetic Sciences(IONS) that was co-founded by Apollo Astronaut Edgar Mitchell. Their website describes the focus of the organization:

IONS is a nonprofit membership organization located in Northern California that conducts and sponsors leading-edge research into the potentials and powers of consciousness—including perceptions, beliefs, attention, intention, and intuition. The Institute maintains a commitment to scientific rigor while exploring phenomena that have been largely overlooked by mainstream science.

The double-slit experiment in physics, source of the Measurement Problem(deemed a problem because of our current paradigm), is the fundamental anomaly that must be addressed before we can move forward in Physics, and science as a whole. The quote above is apparently a result of conclusions gleaned by an interpretation of the Measurement Problem. The double-slit experiment, as well as Heisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle demonstrate that our observance upon quantum phenomena affects the results we get from the experiment. If we watch closely, matter behaves like our paradigm says it should: like particles of matter. However, when we leave the experiment to itself, matter has anomalous behavior: it behaves like a wave, and waves need some sort of fluid or medium to propagate.
This has created a transitionary phase in the discipline of science, in which many theoretical physicists are vying for their personal theories of cosmology. In fact, almost anyone with a basic background of physics can now posit cosmological theories for consideration by the scientific community. Of course certain interpretations have been better accepted than others, but the point is that we are in a sort of ‘no man’s land’ of physics at the moment. Everyone is waiting for a conclusion.

Obviously, then, there must be a conflict between the paradigm
that discloses anomaly and the one that later renders the anomaly law-like.
-Kuhn, The Nature and Necessity of Scientific Revolutions

The anomaly described in the Double-Slit experiment in Quantum Mechanics is the perfect exception to the current paradigm that serves as a possible baseline for the new paradigm, according to a growing number of researchers in the New Age movement - including some at the IONS. The new paradigm proposed by this ‘Consciousness Science’ would accept that consciousness is the basis for this reality - thus apparently explaining the reason that the ‘observer’ is the deciding factor on how matter behaves. The anomaly and detractor of the old paradigm becomes the law and reason of the new paradigm - especially when the new paradigm allows a higher level of comprehensiveness and explanatory power.

Read the rest here if you are interested.

Criticism is the essential product I am hoping to generate, both scientific and philosophically. What is the significance of this paradigm shift, if any? Am I just another product of a manufactured demographic of outsiders, or is there a growing trend in the academic community towards this side of the spectrum?

Most here at ATS have seen 'What the Bleep do we Know?' or at least have heard of the measurement problem... but what are the long-lasting implications of this shift in world-view?

Last, but not least, is this thread beating a dead horse? If so, kindly direct me to the carcass.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The problem of consciousness is certainly the greatest issue in science and philosophy today. At least in terms of how deep a problem it is. It would seem that science as it stands today is not at all equiped to deal with consciousness. The picture of reality as painted by the physical sciences with mathematics as their basis leaves no room for awareness. This is partly because the phenomona of consciousess, awareness, and their contents cannot be adequately expressed mathematically or objectively. Science is only able to deal in the objective, and the quantifiable. Consciousness is neither of these things. The paradox, though, is that science has been so wonderfully successful at explaining everything else. When we look out on the physical world we can understand it well with science, we can even understand our brains well with science, but our minds seem to belong to a different realm entirely.

Perhaps you are right, perhaps a new science - a paradigm shift - will be required to incorperate consciousness into our worldview. Perhaps not, no one knows. A wonderful book on the subject - which is perhaps my favorite possession in the whole world - is called "Conversations on Consciousness" by Susan Blackmore. It contains a series of interviews with scientists and philosophers about what consciousness is, why it is so interesting, and where it fits in our worldview. The conclusion is that we really don't know what to do with it. Thanks for the post, this is the best subject that there is IMHO.

A great blog on the subject, and an excellent starting point for anyone interested in familiarizing themselves with the relevant issues: www.consciousentities.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
That was a great intro for your paper- I'm definitely going to take the time to read the rest of it

I also feel that the acceptance of conciseness as the main driving force of the universe is going to be the new paradigm. Ever since I read "The Holographic Universe", I have been 100% convinced. The funny thing for me is that after reading that book a few years ago, there have been more and more scientific findings and anomalies that are pointing to the entire universe being holographic in nature.

I think, however, that this is going to be an extremely hard reality for traditional science to accept; even more so then Copernicus's paradigm. The implications of having a consciousness-orientated universe automatically brings spirituality back to the front lines; something that many scientists have dedicated their whole careers to eradicating from science.

The main problem, as it has always been since the enlightenment era, is that the scientists of the day believe that there science is the sole right answer to all the questions; there is nothing above it.

People used to think of Newton as having given us all the answers to the way the universe worked- until Einstein came along.

People used to think Einstein had all the answers to the universe- until quantum physics reared its head.

I have always thought quantum mechanics to be fascinating; they were weird enough that Einstein himself refused to accept it until the science became irrefutable.

I think that the next bound of science, as described in the paper, is going to be one in a metaphysical/spiritual direction.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

Thank you, OR, for the comment and conjecture.

Will check out the link/book... sounds interesting.

I do sincerely think that this 'New Age' science will eventually upend the current paradigm. It's not that I just accept anything I see on youtube, its that I have genuinely researched the physics(that I know of, waiting to be enlightened by a physics consensus...) and I see no way out for reductionism on this one.

I love physics, in fact I talk about it so much in my classes that some of my prof's think I'm a physics major... but I'm not. I'm just a guy with some questions that they can't answer. Simple as that.

You might be interested in a book by the Dalai Lama, called The Universe in a Single Atom, if you can get a hold of it. I was very impressed with his knowledge of science(shame we in the 'western world' do not return the respect), and he puts new science into his perspective and it really does sound inconclusive for the BIG questions.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Monts

Thank you, much appreciated.

Point well made, and I agree. The scientists that have a stake in this paradigm can't accept that the whole foundation of their worldview has missed the mark... And who wants to tell them that?

The nail in the coffin may not come for some time, at least until the previous generation in control is dead. It sounds harsh, but sometimes that is what it comes down to. I do hope that the transition is quicker, and with new discoveries this could happen.

The modes and ethics of reductionism have worn reality down to such a level, that reductionism itself is called into question. It is no doubt useful for examining and classifying things, but it does not help our human condition.

Reductionism propagates the ethics of separation and division. Whereas the newer spiritual paradigm is based in ethics of Oneness, and togetherness - which is precisely what the world needs now.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The big question...consciousness, what is it? If you want a very scientific book examining this question I suggest

Hidden Dimensions: The Unification of Physics and Consciousness by B. Allen Wallace, but get on your horse and be prepared, because it very technical and takes some focus to follow. Very good though.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266288656&sr=1-1

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by beebs

Yes, I'm reading The Universe in a Single Atom now, so far it's very good!

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by didact

Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out. And yes, enjoy that book, the Dalai Lama is a genuine hero. I have told my Indian philosophy professor that it is a must-have for his office library.

He is skeptical of the whole idea, but if he read that book somehow I think his mind would change... but until then I gotta keep working on him!

top topics

join