It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Lebanon and Israel Headed for War?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Are Lebanon and Israel Headed for War?

abcnews.go.com

To the casual observer, people on the streets of Beirut show no fear of war. But talk to many Lebanese today, and you'll soon find war is very much on their minds.

All the people ABC News spoke to say conflict with Israel is looming. It's just a matter of when.

Neither side wants to be guilty of starting the next war, but people in Lebanon say tension is now so high the smallest incident may provide the trigger.

And the next round of hostilities, they warn, will be much broader...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
This is very important question day after yesterdays AA fire opened by Lebanese toward Israeli jets - at 5th anniversary day of Ev PM Hariris murder.

Tensions are running high, weapons are already used - and "war of words" is on. But this time is not just Lebanon on the line, but also Gaza and West Bank will be on fire again - Syria and Iran is openly making plans from united defence.

Israels relations with Turkey has fall since Gaza op, remembering that Turkish president and their chief of staff wasnt (are they still in broke-up situation?) year ago even capable to meet each others, and large military coup was halted in last minute in the country.

Egypt was totally in cooperation with Israel at Gaza op, but does it hold in time larger scale escalation in ME - and what is possibility that if Turkey falls to Ismamistic military coup, Egypt is next on line?

VERY INTERRESTING QUOTE FROM SAME STORY:

On the road between Damascus and Beirut, residents tell of unusual military activity, all night construction work, army flat bed trucks moving around with their lights switched off.

Defense analysts report the retraining of the Syrian army. Out of armored brigades burdened with Soviet era tanks, and into small commando units armed with hi-tech anti tank rockets used to such deadly effect by Hezbollah fighters in 2006.

There is may "if" in table, but one thing is certain - time is up for Israel - if its war what they want - soon they will get it.

Related thread from yesterday:
"Lebanon Says Fired On Israeli Jets"
www.abovetopsecret.com...

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-2-2010 by JanusFIN]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Well, it's a high wire act, that is for sure.. as long as no one falls..

With itchy trigger fingers, it'll only take one spark to ignite this mess and each side is provoking the other into taking that little step to far..

I am not sure who is manipulating who, but both sides seem to be doing a good job of trying to manipulate each other..

Lets hope this ends the same way as the Cuban missile crisis.

[edit on 15/2/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Great attitudes rising!

Ottawa Minister: An Attack on Israel is an Attack on Canada

(IsraelNN.com) An Iranian attack on Israel would be considered an attack on Canada, according to Peter Kent, Canada's Minister of State for Foreign Affairs of the Americas and a legislator from an Ontario community with a large Jewish population.

www.israelnationalnews.com...

- Is this common view in Canada, like really?

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Please kick things off and get on with it.

I am tired of staying up all night reading the news, not getting much sleep and not having time to apply for a job.

Pussies!

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I thought Canadians were peaceful laid back people, or at least they were when I spent a long time in Ontario?

Don't they normally get called in for "peacekeeping duties"?

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by minkey53

- Same here, many sleepless nights in so many years! ... I can give you just to this period of "war of words" - not THAT breaking news - but something more to read:

Hezbollah warns against attack on Iran, Syria

Hezbollah's deputy secretary general for political affairs says the Lebanese movement would consider any attack on Iran or Syria as aggression against themselves.

"Hezbollah considers any attack on any faction of the resistance movements, or on the two supporting nations of Iran or Syria, as an attack on all of them," Hassan Khalil told Kuwait's Al-Dar.

"We will respond to any Israeli aggression on Lebanon," he added.

Earlier this month, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said that Damascus would stand by Beirut, should Israel launch another war on Lebanon.

www.presstv.com...

- Just like just posted Canadian ministers statement, but from other side. We are again falling to that same stupid question by Bush - "with us, or agains us" - now is just Israel the question maker?

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

The British Tory party has already affirmed that it would support a war with Iran (stronger words than the current British Gov)

Link

Does not bode well a potential incoming UK gov has this position.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by minkey53

Yeah - I remember that, Michael Moore told me so...
But now they are highly involved in latest Afghanistan operation at Marjah, and then they are willing to secure Israel right wing policies after mass murders in Gaza op.

- Really, what is happening over there, hey Canadiens! We really have think that you are peace loving people having fun with olympics - are you ok, or is it Obama taken lead with his Noble prize over there too?

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
If anything, it looks like sides are forming!

Just need a couple more players to make it a World War.

Any surprise picks or just the usual?

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Some interesting quotes from further down the article and page 2.....

Hezbollah leaders talk of military "surprises." No one we spoke to knows what they might be.

Many people speak of Hezbollah changing tactics, even of infiltrating northern Israel. There's talk of plans to take hundreds of Israeli civilians hostage.

Everyone ABC News spoke to expects a brutal Israeli response if war breaks out. Hezbollah is part of the Lebanese government. So, Israel says, all of Lebanon will be responsible for a Hezbollah attack. To reassert military deterrence Israel must achieve a tangible victory.

And they believe there is substance to Syria's tough talk too. On the road between Damascus and Beirut, residents tell of unusual military activity, all night construction work, army flat bed trucks moving around with their lights switched off.

Defense analysts report the retraining of the Syrian army. Out of armored brigades burdened with Soviet era tanks, and into small commando units armed with hi-tech anti tank rockets used to such deadly effect by Hezbollah fighters in 2006.

Israeli, Syrian and Lebanese leaders have all pitched in with some dangerously intemperate language. Hezbollah's leader Hasan Nasrallah keeps promising to change the face of the region. Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Muallem spoke of his country striking deep into Israeli territory. His Israeli counterpart Avigdor Liebermanpromised that Syria would lose the next war and that the ruling Assad regime would be deposed.

Whether they are western diplomats or analysts from well funded think tanks, Lebanese newspaper editors or writers with close links to Hezbollah, all say they hear the drums of war starting to beat.

And this weekend while the unusually warm temperatures and blue skies led many to the beaches of both Tel Aviv and Beirut Lebanese forces warned Israeli warplanes out of their airspace with anti-aircraft guns. A sound the people of Beirut may have to grow used to.

[edit on 15-2-2010 by john124]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TwoTechnics

Canadas world image is just that, an image. We have peace lovers (myself) and we have war hawks. Our current Prime Minister was a fan of Bush and our papers tow the wests political line pretty straight. That said our military doesn't have the ability to engage in another conflict.

I don't know anyone who seemed even remotely aware this was going on so in my own circles I can't gauge their feelings but Ontaro also has a growing population of middle eastern immigrants (we even had Tamil protests on the gardener in Toronto.) So who knows what the overall feeling is.

I will say this though, as a Canadian I resent what he said. It is not an attack on Canada no matter how he wants to look at it. When I take a governement job I have to swear an oath to the Queen or to God (had to at the LCBO at least) but thats as far as any loyalty seems to go. Its a ceremony of smoke and mirrors. As a country I can't see us supporting another conflict especially when the justification is picking a side in a conflict thats been going on for over sixty years.

While I am glad the world sees us as peaceful (and for the most we are) I would be lying to say our politicians are anything but politicians and world politics is something we cannot ignore especially now that our Prime Minister has created some blad blood with his non-commitment in Copenhagen (Best thing hes done I.M.O)

This may come down to scoring brownie points on the world stage but the burden it would put on our armed forces will be incredible. I'm as curious as all of you what Canada will do given the ultimatum given.

Cheers

A Canuck

[edit on 15-2-2010 by thebulldog]

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TwoTechnics
If anything, it looks like sides are forming!

Just need a couple more players to make it a World War.

Any surprise picks or just the usual?

I think we'll find the sides have already drawn up... tho i am sure there will be one or two suprises..

I am placing my bets on China playing the neutral role in this one, at least to begin with and then it will side with the West (got to support it's largest debtor) as long as it gets the chance a couple of land grabs, whoops I mean concessions from the West ;-)

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Lebanon urges France: Help prevent Israel from attacking us

Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri on Monday asked France to wield its power in the international arena and take a stance against any possibility of an Israeli attack on Lebanon.

During talks with the president of France's senate, Gerard Gérard Larcher, Berri said the world must force Israel to abide wholly by United Nations Resolution 1701 - which put an end to the 2006 war with Hezbollah - in order to ensure the security of the entire Middle East.

www.haaretz.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

The British Tory party has already affirmed that it would support a war with Iran (stronger words than the current British Gov)

Link

Does not bode well a potential incoming UK gov has this position.

If that is true, and they attack iran, the government is asking for trouble from the public, I wont stand back and watch, i'll be in their way.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by thecrow001

Tory position on Iran differs very little from Labour's position. The US position will matter the most as to what actually eventually unfolds.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

Is is just the tories are more open and about this situation and just for reference, i hope tories dont win the gen election

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Photo's just released from Dubai authorities......

www.themajlis.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Originally posted by moonsouljah in "European" thread here...

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 15-2-2010 by freetree64]

posted on Feb, 16 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
War of the words continue with high tense...

Nasrallah: 'If you hit Beirut airport, we'll hit Ben Gurion'

Hezbollah Secretary-General Hassan Nasrallah threatened Tuesday that if Israel attacks Beirut in the future, Hezbollah will attack Tel Aviv.

"If you hit Rafik al-Hariri international airport in Beirut, we will hit Ben-Gurion airport in Tel Aviv," Nasrallah told thousands of his followers at a ceremony to mark the two-year anniversary of the death of Hezbollah's military leader Imad Mughaniyeh.

"If you hit our ports, we will bomb your ports, and if you hit our oil refineries, we will bomb your oil refineries."

"It is untrue that we are giving Israel an excuse to launch an aggression on Lebanon. Israel does not need an excuse, and if it needs an excuse it creates one," he said. "If Israel strikes Dahiyeh, we will strike Tel Aviv."

www.haaretz.com...

new topics

top topics

join