It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans stock up to be ready for end of the world

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Americans stock up to be ready for end of the world

www.guardian.co.uk

Unlike the 1990s survivalists, preppers come from all backgrounds and live all over America. They are just as likely to be found in a suburb or downtown loft as a remote ranch in the mountains. Prepping networks, which have sprung up all over the country in the past few years, provide advice on how to prepare food reserves, how to grow crops in your garden, how to hunt and how to defend yourself. There are prepping books, online shops, radio shows, countless blogs, prepping courses and prepping conferences.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Hmm, I'm not sure what to think of this article: Propaganda, or true to the state of current affairs?

I certainly know my share of folks (myself included) educating themselves on survivalism and stock-piling emergy rations and supplies in case all hell breaks loose, but none of the people I know (outside of the most dogmatic and extreme paranoists) are spewing end of the world, apocalyptic stuff.

More of it is based on fear of losing job, home, and means for monetary survival.

What does the average ATSer think about this?

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-2-2010 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
AS I have posted on many other threads on similar topics. I am in strong belief that something is going to happen. And I choose not to be the one fighting at the grocery store for the last loaf of bread or water. I for one Am prepared for what ever. I just hope in isnt war.

[edit on 14-2-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
It's nothing more than what our grandparents used to do...well stocked pantry, freezer, extra goods and items not able to make at home. The rational varies... for instance,where I live (in the country) most folks always keep a stockpile of items for winter storms, power outages, hurricanes, etc.

Even if the apocolypse never happens, it's good to be prepared. Take all the snow we have had of recent. Can't get to the store, we just put some more wood in the stove, open some canned jars of tomatoes and vegetables, go to the root cellar and get some onions and potatoes and make soup.

To the uninitiated, it looks extreme, but when you wake up with no lights, no heat, and can't get to town...it's a wonderful thing.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I don't think these new survivalists can hold a candle to my grandparents. When grandpa died, the family went to the house and discovered TWO YRS of food stocked up in the house. We knew they were frugal and thrifty, but dang! Now THATS prep.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
There are lots of people who can't afford to stock up who are already sharp and in survival mode...if things get worse they may have survival skills you have never considered. I am trying to stock up a little but have mixed feelings about hoarding. Seems like this week a lot of items at the grocery store went way, way up again.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
My Father and I are already gearing up for any downfall of civilized life. Especially with us living near the ghetto. Our only issue at the time is acquiring weapons to ensure survival and protecting vital assets. Plenty of people I know don't have a single clue what is about to be set upon us and I know a few that really do and they're ready. I try to inform people on what is going on and what has the great possibility of happening but naturally they'll not listen. So I've given up, let them fend for themselves. You life is not mine to care for when the depths of Hell freeze over.

As my Father continues to say to me, "Hope for the Best, Prepare for the Worst"

The worst is inevitable. The U.S along with many other countries and deeply in debt and all it takes is ONE thing to trigger a downfall and mass panic will spread faster than the Ukrainian Plague did. We'll be ready....but will you?

[edit on 14-2-2010 by EnemyofMan]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Living in a hurricane zone like I do, you do always stay stocked and prepared for what could in fact be end of your world scenarios that can blow in on an ill wind a good portion of the year.

When credible Martial Law rumors popped up during the emergency passage of the first bailout legislation back in October of 1998 I simply took my existing hurricane emergency kit and tweaked it up to a whole new level.

The investment is minimal considering the added peace of mind it brings you. Plus it can put you into the money saving habit of buying some essential staples in bulk at bulk sales prices. So when you keep your eye out for extra great prices from the occasional special and stock up you really do end up saving quite a bit of money on items you use routinely too. Not only are you well prepared but you actually save money by being well prepared.

Amazingly I am of the humble opinion the better prepared you are for an eventuality the less likely it ends up becoming such an eventuality will ever come to pass. I consider it a form of prudent and powerful insurance!

It’s not about sitting around, planning, waiting or hoping that the world and life as we know it is going to come to an end. It’s really just enjoying the added confidence of knowing that no matter what tomorrow brings or the day after that you are as prepared for it as well as anyone could be.

The crazy political and economic conditions that presently exist in the world could in fact lead to anything happening at almost anytime.

Tis always better safe than sorry! Forearmed is forewarned.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Having lived in California I tend to be aware of how easily daily life is disrupted. The recent string of quakes, hurricanes and blizzards has probably reminded people that they need to be prepared, even if they're not expecting the collapse of global civilization.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I agree it's not much different than what our grandparents had to put up with. My grandparents lived through the depression in areas that were poor and rural to begin with, and times were very rough. Everything had to be provided for locally, they would slaughter their own hogs, bake their own bread, built their own houses (which is particularly where families of 12 and 14 siblings came in handy), made their own moonshine, all of that and plenty more they had to do themselves.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
I don't think these new survivalists can hold a candle to my grandparents. When grandpa died, the family went to the house and discovered TWO YRS of food stocked up in the house. We knew they were frugal and thrifty, but dang! Now THATS prep.

A lot of older people who lived through the great depression and the rationing of World War II had a subsequent life long focus of being exceedingly well provisioned and stocked. Many of them lived through extended periods where they and or a lot of people they knew went hungry. Stockpiling canned and dry goods, even frozen meats, cooking oils, lighting, coffee, tea, sugar and spices is for all intents and purposes no different than saving money in the bank. They are after all things that you do end up eventually using.

Plus they can be an excellent hedge against inflation. If say a fresh war in the Middle East broke out, which is a realistic possibility at more or less anytime, gasoline prices will go through the roof. Groceries go right up along with it as the growers and shippers have to pay those higher gasoline costs and then pass them on to consumers. Prices can and have gone up as high as 40% because of higher fuel costs in relatively short order after fuel prices spike.

Having a couple years worth of non-perishable staple items or even just six month’s worth could save you a lot of money in such a scenario. You end up with the freedom of deciding when it is the most advantageous time to buy and aren’t forced to when prices are significantly higher than normal.

The older generation wasn’t simply being eccentric or frugal but shrewd and sage. We could learn and benefit a lot by their example. Your Grandfather must have been a remarkable man, thanks for sharing about his wisdom.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Here's something to think about. It's not pleasant,but it's a fact that your goods can be confiscated if deemed necessary in a time of "emergency".

This is just a quick link. More follow up might be desirable to see where your state/location might be covered.

From standeyo.com...

So Where Do Anti-Hoarding Laws Come In?

These ideas of anti-hoarding legislation may have stemmed from two areas of confusion:

First is from Executive Orders in place dating back to 1939 which Clinton has grouped together under one order, EO #12919 released on June 6, 1994. The following EOs all fall under EO#12919:

10995--Federal seizure of all communications media in the US;
10997--Federal seizure of all electric power, fuels, minerals, public and private;
10998--Federal seizure of all food supplies and resources, public and private and all farms and equipment;
10999--Federal seizure of all means of transportation, including cars, trucks, or vehicles of any kind and total control over all highways, seaports and water ways;
11000--Federal seizure of American people for work forces under federal supervision, including the splitting up of families if the government so desires;
11001--Federal seizure of all health, education and welfare facilities, both public and private;
11002--Empowers the Postmaster General to register every single person in the US
11003--Federal seizure of all airports and aircraft;
11004--Federal seizure of all housing and finances and authority to establish forced relocation. Authority to designate areas to be abandoned as "unsafe," establish new locations for populations, relocate communities, build new housing with public funds;
11005--Seizure of all railroads, inland waterways and storage facilities, both public and private;
11051--Provides FEMA complete authorization to put above orders into effect in times of increased international tension of economic or financial crisis (FEMA will be in control incase of "National Emergency").

These EOs are not aimed at anti-hoarding but rather at seizure or confiscation of items and facilities "to provide a state of readiness in these resource areas with respect to all conditions of national emergency, including attack upon the United States." You'll find most 'seizure' legislation ends with this phrase. These Executive Orders don't define what specifically constitutes a national emergency and maybe this is as it should be. The specifics on hoarding are left up to the individual states.

What Is FEMA's Role?

EO #11051 is interesting; it authorizes FEMA near-total power in times of crisis. There's been lots of discussion on the Internet regarding the excessive control FEMA has been granted and it was pointedly commented upon in July's world premiere movie release of the "X-Files".

FEMA was created by President Carter under Executive Order #12148. Its legal authorization is Title 42, United States Code 5121 (42 USC Sec. 5121) called the "Stafford Act." During activation of Executive Orders, FEMA answers only to the National Security Council which answers only to the President. Once these powers are invoked, not even Congress can intervene or countermand them for six months.

What Clinton, or Reagan, or any other president did when writing an EO, was to direct his Cabinet member(s), in this case FEMA, to take specific action to carry out the directives of the EO. Where Jimmy Carter had created FEMA by Esecutive Order in 1979, Robert Safford took it a step futher and pushed a bill through in 1988 that made it law. This legislation made FEMA a bonafide department like Justice. Where the EO is critical to the USC (United States Code) and Title 50, is in interpreting the law how that department or FEMA, should conduct itself when declaring they will tell the states, national guard, military forces, or whomever, to confiscate extra hoarded food or medical supplies or whatever...

We must also consider any PDD (Presidential Decision Directives) Ok, so who will determine how much food we have in our house - why FEMA of course. And the amount depends on the need of all...not your needs or my needs...but the "welfare" of the the needy.

Bottom line? Clinton delegated authority to FEMA to run the show however it sees fit if he declares a national emergency. Who will determine how much food we can have in our house? FEMA. And the amount depends on the needs of all...not your needs or my needs...but the "welfare" of the needy.

Many people have balked about FEMA's extensive authority, but think about it, what other agency has the manpower to cover and implement aid? As it is, FEMA still does not have the manpower to control every city all over the US in times of crisis. Chances are they would only be dispatched to larger metropolitan areas where more crowd control might be needed. Lots of people suggest darker reasons for their existence, but this site is only addressing anti-hoarding legislation, nothing else.

Not very nice,is it? People want to stock up for their survival,and FEMA can come in and take it!

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by On the Edge

This is one of the reasons I have been spending a lot of times out in the forest and even desert areas, getting acclimated with the edible plant matter and even insects (I know..."eww" lol)....I would not put that past these incredibly SICK heathens in their desperation for control to institute such measures. So I am prepearing for the craziest of survival modalities and tests. Not end of the world, but end of my conformity to society and tptb. haha

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Yea if tshtf and you get caught hoarding water or food they will take it from you anyhow.
That's already writen into law, so unless you can find place to hide from everyone your screwed anyhow.
And for those that say no they won't, when they pull one of those Abramas Tanks, up on the corner, you won't have much choice

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Hmm, I'm not sure what to think of this article: Propaganda, or true to the state of current affairs?

I certainly know my share of folks (myself included) educating themselves on survivalism and stock-piling emergy rations and supplies in case all hell breaks loose, but none of the people I know (outside of the most dogmatic and extreme paranoists) are spewing end of the world, apocalyptic stuff.

[edit on 14-2-2010 by DimensionalDetective]

It's just front loaded material to keep people from joining this "movement". No one likes to be lumped in with the kooks even if following their lead would ensure their survival.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
With stocking up for the end of the world sometimes I sense great face-palms from people who remember more than a decade ago when Y2K created a bandwagon that many many people did hop onto.

So if not stocking up on rations, weapons, gear and the like, nobody would give you a hard time for stockpiling up on knowledge.

Food can go to waste, metal can rust, caches can be stolen. But memory of knowledge on a sit-x situation can last a lifetime in ones head.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Well its not just Americans who are ready to survive if it comes to it.
Ive been preparing for quite sometime now just in case, ready for survival in the Wild, quite difficult here in England but I have plans for certain scenario's, sometimes changing depending what could happen.

All stocked up on fishing gear, camping gear, wet weather and cold weather gear, got a cave for a base to meet up, plans on where next ect ect.

The elites will be safe in the bunkers, they are ready, why shouldnt we be ready.

The only thing that will stop my plans is a Nuke or something like a comet or asteroid impact, all depends on timescales.

I guess us Brits aint so open about it so its the Americans that have the story.

[edit on 14-2-2010 by Sparkey76]

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by On the Edge
Here's something to think about. It's not pleasant,but it's a fact that your goods can be confiscated if deemed necessary in a time of "emergency".

This is just a quick link. More follow up might be desirable to see where your state/location might be covered.

From standeyo.com...

So Where Do Anti-Hoarding Laws Come In?

These ideas of anti-hoarding legislation may have stemmed from two areas of confusion:

First is from Executive Orders in place dating back to 1939 which Clinton has grouped together under one order, EO #12919 released on June 6, 1994. The following EOs all fall under EO#12919:

10995--Federal seizure of all communications media in the US;
10997--Federal seizure of all electric power, fuels, minerals, public and private;
10998--Federal seizure of all food supplies and resources, public and private and all farms and equipment;
10999--Federal seizure of all means of transportation, including cars, trucks, or vehicles of any kind and total control over all highways, seaports and water ways;
11000--Federal seizure of American people for work forces under federal supervision, including the splitting up of families if the government so desires;
11001--Federal seizure of all health, education and welfare facilities, both public and private;
11002--Empowers the Postmaster General to register every single person in the US
11003--Federal seizure of all airports and aircraft;
11004--Federal seizure of all housing and finances and authority to establish forced relocation. Authority to designate areas to be abandoned as "unsafe," establish new locations for populations, relocate communities, build new housing with public funds;
11005--Seizure of all railroads, inland waterways and storage facilities, both public and private;
11051--Provides FEMA complete authorization to put above orders into effect in times of increased international tension of economic or financial crisis (FEMA will be in control incase of "National Emergency").

These EOs are not aimed at anti-hoarding but rather at seizure or confiscation of items and facilities "to provide a state of readiness in these resource areas with respect to all conditions of national emergency, including attack upon the United States." You'll find most 'seizure' legislation ends with this phrase. These Executive Orders don't define what specifically constitutes a national emergency and maybe this is as it should be. The specifics on hoarding are left up to the individual states.

What Is FEMA's Role?

EO #11051 is interesting; it authorizes FEMA near-total power in times of crisis. There's been lots of discussion on the Internet regarding the excessive control FEMA has been granted and it was pointedly commented upon in July's world premiere movie release of the "X-Files".

FEMA was created by President Carter under Executive Order #12148. Its legal authorization is Title 42, United States Code 5121 (42 USC Sec. 5121) called the "Stafford Act." During activation of Executive Orders, FEMA answers only to the National Security Council which answers only to the President. Once these powers are invoked, not even Congress can intervene or countermand them for six months.

What Clinton, or Reagan, or any other president did when writing an EO, was to direct his Cabinet member(s), in this case FEMA, to take specific action to carry out the directives of the EO. Where Jimmy Carter had created FEMA by Esecutive Order in 1979, Robert Safford took it a step futher and pushed a bill through in 1988 that made it law. This legislation made FEMA a bonafide department like Justice. Where the EO is critical to the USC (United States Code) and Title 50, is in interpreting the law how that department or FEMA, should conduct itself when declaring they will tell the states, national guard, military forces, or whomever, to confiscate extra hoarded food or medical supplies or whatever...

We must also consider any PDD (Presidential Decision Directives) Ok, so who will determine how much food we have in our house - why FEMA of course. And the amount depends on the need of all...not your needs or my needs...but the "welfare" of the the needy.

Bottom line? Clinton delegated authority to FEMA to run the show however it sees fit if he declares a national emergency. Who will determine how much food we can have in our house? FEMA. And the amount depends on the needs of all...not your needs or my needs...but the "welfare" of the needy.

Many people have balked about FEMA's extensive authority, but think about it, what other agency has the manpower to cover and implement aid? As it is, FEMA still does not have the manpower to control every city all over the US in times of crisis. Chances are they would only be dispatched to larger metropolitan areas where more crowd control might be needed. Lots of people suggest darker reasons for their existence, but this site is only addressing anti-hoarding legislation, nothing else.

Not very nice,is it? People want to stock up for their survival,and FEMA can come in and take it!
Well if they wish to TRY to remove my life stock then I am fully prepared to address that situation.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Really it is a matter of wisdom to have a store of necessary goods. I live up here in Western NY where we used to get the blizzards that are hitting the mid Atlantic folks this year. It was really important to have things on hand for when you were snowed in for a week or better with no power! Whether you are in Snowy areas, Hurricane, Quakes, Tornado, or areas prone to flooding it is a good idea to live a life of preparedness.

Another thing, if you do have say a years store of food, the food you are using now is what was purchased last year at a far better price. In so many ways it is a cost cutting measure. Another thing, when the old "greenback" is worthless barter will be the name of the game. Something as simple as toilet paper will be a hot commodity. Look at how some of the people in Haiti are surviving, using generators to give people charges for either cash or bartering goods.

It does suck that the government could cease it all, but hey they can take pretty much anything from any of us if it deemed necessary. Freedom has been gone for some time.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
reply to post by On the Edge

This is one of the reasons I have been spending a lot of times out in the forest and even desert areas, getting acclimated with the edible plant matter and even insects (I know..."eww" lol)....I would not put that past these incredibly SICK heathens in their desperation for control to institute such measures. So I am prepearing for the craziest of survival modalities and tests. Not end of the world, but end of my conformity to society and tptb. haha

This is a very wise thing to do. I have a contact that is VERY well versed in actual survival.Related to what you are doing. this is my next class for personal education. Good decision.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join