It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

After 1 month of chaos, Haitians help themselves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
After 1 month of chaos, Haitians help themselves

1 month after quake, Haitians still forced to help themselves as rains portend more suffering

JONATHAN M. KATZ
AP News

Feb 11, 2010 17:06 EST

In the month since the worst disaster in Haitian history, an enormous international aid effort has not provided the people of Marassa 14 with the food, shelter and security they need. So they built a new community from scratch.

Cardboard street signs mark the rows of makeshift plastic tents where more than 2,500 people sleep in the dirt. Handwritten ID cards stamped by a security committee show who belongs, and women serve cheap fried plantains and breadfruit for families struggling to feed their children.

One month after 40 seconds of terrifying shaking killed more than 200,000 of their relatives and neighbors and leveled most of their capital, Haiti's endlessly resilient people are struggling to recreate their lives.

Wifey's calling me to dinner, I'll be back shortly...
edit to add link...
wire.antiwar.com...

[edit on (2/12/1010 by loveguy]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy
In the month since the worst disaster in Haitian history, an enormous international aid effort has not provided the people of Marassa 14 with the food, shelter and security they need. So they built a new community from scratch.

Well imagine how the majority of Haiti would be WITHOUT all that chaotic aid that's been provided. I'm sorry the people have suffered a great tragedy. I'm sorry they have to rebuild. I donated what I could. I'm a religious/spiritual man and I prayed to the God of my own understanding to help them. Outside of flying down there and building somebody a house there is not much more at this time that I and possibly millions more who feel the same way can do.

I'm glad to see that some Haitians are taking on some of the responsibility to rebuild their own shattered country.

I think ultimately it's their responsibility to do so.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I am not surprised at all that Haitians are doing somethings for themselves. they may be poor but when thegoing gets rough, they get going and do for themselves. They also look amazingly clean, cleaner than your average Joe down the streets here.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Thanks for your post. I share what you presented, all but the sad fact that I'm not in a financial position to give beyond my normal obligations. The Union Gospel Mission here is the only benefactor I regularly contribute to. I feed animals on a farm for the mean-time. And study through a correspondence course.
Why the Union Gospel Mission? I don't have insurance, they treated an absessed tooth for me, that's why I obligated myself. I'm no better than a homeless guy on the streets, but was treated with dignity.

When I first had the notion to post this thread, I was thinking in the negative; that with all the aid, people still had to go without even a basic tent during the rain-season. Thank you for lending me a more realistic perspective. Nice new avatar BTW.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Anyone know where all this money is going? In Canada, Rogers Wireless sent a TXT to every mobile phone customer, asking to TXT HELP to send a $5 donation to Haiti. Over 1.2 Million dollars was raised in TXT alone, nevermind the countless worldwide donations flowing in. It just never felt right. Where is it all going

[edit on 12-2-2010 by Inertia]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Inertia
Anyone know where all this money is going? In Canada, Rogers Wireless sent a TXT to every mobile phone customer, asking to TXT HELP to send a $5 donation to Haiti. Over 1.2 Million dollars was raised in TXT alone, nevermind the countless worldwide donations flowing in. It just never felt right. Where is it all going

[edit on 12-2-2010 by Inertia]

Hello,
That is a good question. Since I don't know, I'll keep my speculation short and sweet; Clinton/Bush have their noses in it for one reason or another. According to what I thought I may've glanced at internetently. I coined that word BTW!

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Inertia

The majority of your charity is absorbed by "overhead" - the Red Cross for instance, keeps about seventy-five cents of every dollar you donate.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Inertia

Here you go..

Enjoy.

ATS Haitian Conspiracies?

[edit on 13-2-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
In a disaster you can/do not want to wait for government or any others to supply your needs.

You must do it yourself and only use outside help if its there.

The TPTB will always use disasters to change thing so they have more control.

This was seen after katrina, the TPTB used katrina to move out the poor and criminals out and take over property that will later be given/sold to the rich.

The Mormons know this and as a religion plan to take care of themselves and there Mormon neighbors. others will be forced out if they are not wanted.

In the US the faster you can help yourself the faster you can make money from the government to help others rebuild.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by ANNED]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The stark truth is that before the quake, the country was in shambles. It was reported here (US) that much of the money, etc is being stolen (again) by their "officials"...nothing has changed for them and nothing will until the people learn to govern and take care of themselves.

It was, without a doubt, a horrible tragedy...but before that, the country and the people were beyond poor, and their destiny not in their hands. No one else can give them that...they have to make it/take it themselves.

If they are taking the initiative to grow and renew themselves, then maybe Haiti will have a future...they certainly had no future before the quake. Now it is, and must be up to them...it's their choice to remain passive or take their country and lift themselves up...they have a lot available to them now ...let's see what they do with it.

Just my opinion

new topics

top topics

join