It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should this unnerve me?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

AccessDenied, consider this, by learning about GPS, mapping, and compass work, your 6th grader is learning tracking skills that could aid them in the future if they need to know how to traverse from point A to point B, but Id be sure to let him know in a way he could understand that nearly any electrical device we have nowadays can be GPS located- thats why my cell will be the first thing in the drink if the SHTF
Rossa

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   
As a mom, I think this is a great learning experience.
I plan on taking my daughter (at some point) on a GPS hunt for fun.

Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment.

I am not really paranoid about GPS, but I think its great that you are so involved in your child's life that anything presented at school you look into!

[edit on February 12th 2010 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Think of your son as a potential up and coming James Bond. If he has a strong working knowledge of technology then he will be able to use the devices at his disposal to survive in this world. If he has no idea of the potential miss-uses that come in hand with them then he can be taken advantage of.

I look at GPS from both a paranoid (read very paranoid) and technical point of view. I am fortunate because I design electronic systems and have a strong understanding of GPS and other tracking technology.

It is a popular misconception that in order for a GPS receiver to work that the satellites have to know its position. This is not true, and in fact a regular GPS receiver does not have electronics which are capable of transmitting to a satellite. As others here have stated, only a GPS that is combined with a communication device such as a cell phone can transmit its position to another party. This is how OnStar works (with a cell phone module) to locate a vehicle.

GPS is an important and prolific technology in or society and it, like any important life skill is worth learning about. I think that if anything this course will teach him not to follow a misguided GPS into a lake with his car and how to use one to confirm his position on a map, maybe even guide a STARS helicopter into an accident scene using latitude and longitude coordinates.

I also agree with other members here that suggest that whenever you get that paternal/maternal instinct feeling you should contact the school and ask about the scope of the program.

Edit for a ridiculous number of typos. Sigh...

[edit on 12-2-2010 by dainoyfb]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

We go geocaching all the time. It's a lot of fun, you learn new and interesting places to visit, and you can meet great people. Not to mention, hiking some of those sites is great exercise.

If you are interested, go to www.geocaching.com and check it out.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join