It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme Weather Watch Thread 2010

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
With all the extreme and seemingly out-of-place weather which is happening all over the globe, I thought it best to create a thread where we can amalgamate all the reports and hopefully bring some clarity to the situation.

Is this just coincidence? Or is there a pattern which can be discerned and which may give insight into what is in store for the planet.

It seems like something strange is going on with weather around the world. If we are entering some kind of transitionary period of upheavel which will produce more and more severe weather then I want to know about it, and I want to know what we can expect in the future.

I just want to make it clear that I'm not suggesting that this is an unnatural change. Merely acknowledging that something is happening with our weather and wanting to do what little I can to understand it.

Food for thought:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.foxnews.com...

Thanks.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
One important thing I forgot to mention in the OP is the significance of the experiences of us ATS members.

We are all over the globe and are in a position to share our personal experiences of strange, extreme or out-of-place weather and how different they are from what you are used to.

[edit on 12-2-2010 by Chonx]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Porto Alegre, despite being in the extreme south of Brazil, is being the 2nd hottest state capital of Brazil during this summer, loosing only to Rio de janeiro, where max temperatures have been above 100ºF for more than 15 consecutive days. Even the capitals from states in the amazoniam region (near the equator) are not as hot as porto Alegre.
I just lost track of how many tornados we had in southern region only this summer (normally there is one every 2 years).
The weather is behaving in a completelly insane way here in Brazil recently.
This site (in portuguese) from southern Brazil lists some of the weather extremes recently observed here in the southern corner of South America: Metsul

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I live in southeast Louisiana, and for the second time this season (3rd time in the last 14 months) it snowed. Very unusual for this part of the country. Also, this past summer was one of the driest we've had in a long time.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Wondering302

Same here in SE Texas. In 33 years I have seen it snow here four times, three of which were in the past 14 months. My area of TX is notorious for flooding, but it does seem to be more prevelant in the past year than any I can remember. So...strange temps (both hot last summer and cold this winter) and rainfall, plus very unusual snow for me.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Thanks guys.

just found this thread here on ATS about there being snow on the ground in all 50 states of the U.S. Pretty amazing stuff really. I wonder if this has happenend before in the history of the country. Anyone know?

Here's the thread:

Weather service meteorologist Brian Korty says it's extremely rare to have so many states with snow.

From source:
www.usatoday.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I'm in the Eastern Shore of Maryland, we had 2 blizzards in the past week that have broken all the records and shut down driving and businesses . We have between 4.5 to 5 feet of snow in my area and the snow goes well past my waist. There is so much snow that my children have made a huge igloo and the meteorologist is predicting more snow on Monday. I've lived here for all of my life and I've never seen so much snow. The weather has been crazy all year, we were having summer days in the middle of winter. Actually until these blizzards it was a warm winter, you could go out in shorts at times when every other year you would be bundled up from the cold. We also had a unusually hot summer. Who knows whats up with the weather but this thread should be pretty interesting to watch. Good thread S@F

[edit on 12-2-2010 by freeyourmind1111]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I am from the mid west central area MN, WI, MI I travel around when I can. In 2007 There was a lot of flooding all over. Tornados galore. In fact Devils Lake WI was on the news Nation wide. Did you see that house go into the lake I believe a dam broke or something like that. I am reporting this on shear memory it happened June 9th when Lake Delton went into the WI river and Fox river. It was horrible that whole summer was nasty full of tornados all over. That was only a year and some months ago this summer will make it 2 years. In 2003 I was in WI and the January thaw came about I have a picture of my grandson sitting on the porch with a sweatshirt on it was almost 55 degrees out in January the buds on the trees were poping out. Now That is weird. The people who have gardens in that area have had really bad crops. I tried to grow tomatoes that year and it was awful no one had any luck. I think it's the air quality, the pesticides that are in the gorund acid rain or what ever but no way will I swallow genetic seed production. has any one read about that? heard it on the Nory program just about a week ago, talking about the companies like DuPont are behind genetic altering of seeds. What is happening to our world?????? fake h1n1 flu epidemics are they trying to wipe us out or what?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Canadian

Since 2005, and prob earlier, I have been noticing our weather "phases" are vibrating out of the sync that they have been resonating with in the past decade. Summer and Winter seem to be shifting themselves into fresh "territory", rich and full of "data evolution"..

Ring a Bell Anyone?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I'm from Virginia, our area has been hit hard this winter. We've never seen this much snow before. The state's resources for dealing with it all have dried up and it sometimes seems like there is no end in sight. Our summer last year was also unusually cool.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chonx
One important thing I forgot to mention in the OP is the significance of the experiences of us ATS members.

We are all over the globe and are in a position to share our personal experiences of strange, extreme or out-of-place weather and how different they are from what you are used to.

Question.
What is out of place weather?

Example, we use a 4 seasonal caender
Spring ,Summer Autum/fall, Winter and the cycle continues.
The Indiginous people of Australia have at least 6 seasons and they are different all around the country.

weather is cyclical and usually revolves around a 7 year, 70 year and 700 year etc..........

To ask someone aged 7 years old about strange weather, they could give you many things which seemed strange.
Ask a 70 year old and the number of strange weather days gets reduced significantly.
If someone lived 700 years the numbers would once again be even more reduced.

The post is in fact a loaded post to give credence to AWG where in fact posting many strange occurances from all over the globe will give the impression of strange weather all round.
Well my weather for where I live is completely normal and has been all my life, (43 years),

here is an example of what I mean about being a loaded question and weather being cyclical.
Here is the headline

Massive icebergs floating towards coast of New Zealand

Hong Kong, China (CNN) -- New Zealand is preparing for some rare spring visitors. More than 100 icebergs that were first spotted off the coast of Macquarie Island, an Australian territory around 900 miles south east of Tasmania, are now thought to be only 200 miles away from New Zealand's south coast.

now if this was reported it would appear strange.
Now for the next part of the article

This is only the second time in 78 years that large Antarctic icebergs have been sighted so far north.

Example
Hmmm not that strange now, it has happened before and I would suggest that some 70 years earlier it probably happened as well.

enjoy the thread but remember that its not always as strange or out of place as you may think, in fact it could be more common over the longer period of time than strange on the short period of time.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Last winter, here in west Ky, we had the major "once in a lifetime" (hopefully) ice storm. We got blanketed with over 3 inches of ice...power lines and poles fell like matches....so did trees... we were without power for 3 weeks. Then boom...summertime...it was temps over 100 in June...cooler than normal July and Aug. .. This winter it has been snow after snow.... 2 inches, 3, 5, 6....expecting another 4 this weekend.... we also experienced weeks of below zero temps... Now I have pics from Christmases past of us all in short sleeves...... things are certainly out of whack in my neck of the woods!

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Extreme weather does in fact make a difference, the amount of snow on the ground reflects back so check this out.. The snow acts as a mirror, bouncing sunlight back into space so as a consequence, our earth doesn't warm up again as it should, then suddenly and abruptly, our interglacial climate collapses. Within years or even months, the temperatures will drop markedly so In the end, temperatures will decline some 15 degrees Celsius (27 degrees F) on average and in some places, the decline will be up to 40 degrees Celsius. visit this site and read for your self
www.exitmundi.nl...
things repeat but other factors can trigger drastic events, That is why I am still wondering about that incident over Norway that spiral explosian what the heck??? I dont' beleive it was a missle failure It was meant to do something I have my own thoughts on this too. We are heading towards something where will mankind survive???

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Theres nothing strange about this severe weather. It is a direct consequence of mans actions on the enviornment. Whether or not you believe man is responsible or not it dosent change the fact that we havent seen the last of these severe weather patterns. I said in another post that in 15 years millions of people will die due to severe weather and the effects it will have on crops and because of water shortages. Reap the whirlwind people this is what happens when you have your head in the sands.....

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
One must also take into account the El Nino, and La Nina weather patterns, as well as macro and micro weather systems. Just because you havent seen a particular type of weather does not make it unusual. There are so many factors that will influence the frequency, where and what type of weather occurs.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

Hi there!

The post is in fact a loaded post to give credence to AWG where in fact posting many strange occurances from all over the globe will give the impression of strange weather all round.

I don't know what AWG is sorry. I can see where you're coming from and why this thread may seem like a sly attempt to coerce people into thinking a certain way, but that's just not the case. I guess you're just going to have to take my word for it, or not. I honestly don't have any strong opinions on climate change and am not trying to get anyone to think any certain way. (I'm assuming this is what you were insinuating?)

Reply to OzWeatherman

Hi!

I understand that the weather around the globe changes constantly and is dependant on a vast number of factors and cycles. Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to point out the obvious with this thread, most people on ATS already understand that our climate is very complex.

Using Munkey66's example with the icebergs in New Zealand, Yes it is an out of place occurance but only on short time scales so this is a rare event but not an unexpected or strange in it's own right.

Fair enough. And taken singularly like that, I totally agree.

But If these types of events, which are rare for any given location, begin to happen at a higher frequency and in multiple locations around the globe in a short period of time, is this not reason enough to at least question whether anything different is happening?

If rare weather happens more frequently, then there is the possibility that coincidence is not to blame but other factors are present.

It may be nothing, it may be a materilization of, as yet, unidentified climate cycles and weather patterns, or it may be something else.

I don't know.

And so comes into focus my rationale for making this thread.

Thanks

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by NorthStargal52

Hi!
I've also heard something similar but I thought it was sea-ice which has the highest albido? The problems would arise as sea-ice melts, more solar radiation would be absorbed by the oceans, warm them up, melt more ice and so on.

Good example of a positive feedback loop but your link, in my opinion, takes it too far. I really don't want to get into much wild speculation or end of civilization discussion on this thread...

fulfilled my quota of doom for the day though!
thanks

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

I apologize if this seems off topic.. I watched that clip of news about the Surfers in California and that was a big wave.... I lived in California back in the 70's every day I was at Huntington Beach and elsewhere that never happened to me ... anyone know what could of caused that ...
Also I have heard that because of all the swarm earthquakes going on and off the shores of California it was said that the animals are reported to be acting strange could someone set this straight if it is false
Thanks

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Oh I know, Sorry I didn't mean it to sound that way about a need to discuss a major weather issue like (the End)... it was just that I was concerned about this condition. Because of all the snow we have recieved this year in certain places . I myself think it is not so out of the ordinary except when you go and read what NASA says about the SUN and all the other factors that have an input ... I'm no weather expert but I pay attention... what else can ya do I'm not a doomsdayer anyways sorry for the misunderstanding my Apology

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NorthStargal52

No need to apologise! Thanks for the response.

I saw that about the rogue wave in California and thought it was quite odd. I was under the impression that rogue waves were only found out to sea and didn't make it to shore? I thought it may have been a small tsunami? I'm not sure, maybe a corelation with a quake or island land slide will surface.

I'm no weather expert but I pay attention...

Indeed. I noticed more reports of (possibly) strange and out of place weather occurring and that prompted this thread.

If more members are experiencing these things then hopefully, they'll find this thread and maybe we can try and put a picture together of what, if anything, out of ordinary is happening.

thanks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join