It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. successfully tests airborne laser on missile

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

U.S. successfully tests airborne laser on missile

www.reuters.com

A U.S. high-powered airborne laser weapon shot down a ballistic missile in the first successful test of a futuristic directed energy weapon, the U.S. Missile Defense Agency said on Friday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

The agency said in a statement the test took place at 8:44 p.m. PST (11:44 p.m. EST) on Thursday /0444 GMT on Friday) at Point Mugu's Naval Air Warfare Center-Weapons Division Sea Range off Ventura in central California.

"The Missile Defense Agency demonstrated the potential use of directed energy to defend against ballistic missiles when the Airborne Laser Testbed (ALTB) successfully destroyed a boosting ballistic missile" the agency said.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2c8d59d099da.jpg[/atsimg]

Take that Ahmadinejad! You want to get tough with your enriched uranium... Well were shooting rockets out of the sky with freaking lasers! This is certianly a monumental advancement in missil defence, as well as other applications. Techonlogy is advancing so fast, it is hard to keep up with!

-E-

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Edit to add: Dolby_X posted a link to this video which claims to be of the actual test, and looks genuine to me! Thanks Dolby_X
www.liveleak.com...

[edit on 12-2-2010 by MysterE]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
pew pew pew, lazers,
IRAN

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Just one more reason why the populace would never be able to overthrow their corrupt and tyrannical government. For people who think the US government will hesitate to disarm their people and bring about the NWO and a one world government this type of technology will only facilitate it that much quicker. This type fo technology will end up making nuclear weapons and modern missile/bomb technology obsolete. Good in some ways but very bad in others.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by MysterE

Take that Ahmadinejad! You want to get tough with your enriched uranium... Well were shooting rockets out of the sky with freaking lasers!

Would have been much cooler if it were "frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their frickin' heads" ;p

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by bkaust

Would have been much cooler if it were "frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their frickin' heads" ;p

That's Hilarious!!!!!!!!!! We don't have sharks, but how about a sea bass!

-E-

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Take that Ahmadinejad! You want to get tough with your enriched uranium... Well were shooting rockets out of the sky with freaking lasers! This is certianly a monumental advancement in missil defence, as well as other applications. Techonlogy is advancing so fast, it is hard to keep up with!

Although I applaud your enthusiasm. This has taken way too long to develop. I mean I've heard about this program [Or Similar ones]back in the late 80s early 90s. I'm glad the test was successful and all that but...

IMO it has taken way too long in coming.
$$$$$$$$$

[edit on 12-2-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   

-E-

So long as they are ill tempered mutated sea bass, i'm all for it!

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Good point, I would counter to say that there probably is something much more advanced, that Uncle Sam won't let us know about for a while.

-E-

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Fear is very costly. It's understandable but very very costly. What happens when the enemy doesn't shoot missiles off but instead walks the nukes into cities or ships them by UPS in little pieces only to be assembled after years of shipments?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Hey, I am going to post this laser test video on mortar rounds. I thought it was a pretty nice vid.

Here is one on the airborne laser engaging a missile. Not to good.

edit to add-HEY Slayer, you did not have those vids up when I first posted!

[edit on 2/12/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Excuse me but testing such lasers was part and parcel of the Reagan's Star Wars project.

I would like to hear of news of some of their newer technologies.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Good point, I would counter to say that there probably is something much more advanced, that Uncle Sam won't let us know about for a while.

-E-

It seems whenever there is a potential international issue [Iran, North Korea] the US rolls out another announcement about this program. It seems to me that they are most likely Showboating.

I agree this is the program for the Public [US/International] to know about. Proper military doctrine would dictate non disclosure on your more exotic high technological abilities.

endisnighe Oh yeah I was editing while you posted those videos.
Timing I guess

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

reply to post by Slayer

Excellent videos! Thanks for the additions!

-E-

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   

-E-

Are they ill tempered sea bass

Seriously, I'm wondering if this thing had truthfully already been successfully tested and only now are they making this 'news'. Or perhaps it failed and they are simply lying to us all.

Does this make us any safer than we were before?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Although I applaud your enthusiasm. This has taken way too long to develop. I mean I've heard about this program [Or Similar ones]back in the late 80s early 90s. I'm glad the test was successful and all that but...

IMO it has taken way too long in coming.

When the government develops any advanced technology, they must first drag it through a series of internal questions and assessments. The results of this process can often lead to an easy rationalization, and ultimately concealing any defense related breakthrough until there is a need to militarily/politically influence another country with it. Consider this achievement to be one of many completed projects that are already sitting on the side burner awaiting a moment of disclosure.

Most of the 'power' from a weapon of this caliber, is in the "announcement" itself. Also, on a side note, this kind of thing can also work in reverse. Whereas, they have the ability to announce technologies that they have absolutely no ability to perform currently, as a means of confusing/scaring any opposition, as well as project an outward declaration of superiority and power.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I believe they had this for quite a while now. They might even have it on a satelite or something by now. It's just their way of announcing something in case something happens , with all this talk about iran , and we wonder how did those missles fall.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jinni
Excuse me but testing such lasers was part and parcel of the Reagan's Star Wars project.

I would like to hear of news of some of their newer technologies.

Originally posted by Fatality
I believe they had this for quite a while now. They might even have it on a satelite or something by now. It's just their way of announcing something in case something happens , with all this talk about iran , and we wonder how did those missles fall.

Let's not forget once the Payload makes it to orbit and proceeds to it's target reentry destination it's very vulnerable.

Brilliant Pebbles

The Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) was created by U.S. President Ronald Reagan on March 23, 1983[1] to use ground and space-based systems to protect the United States from attack by strategic nuclear ballistic missiles. The initiative focused on strategic defense rather than the prior strategic offense doctrine of mutual assured destruction (MAD). The Strategic Defense Initiative Organization (SDIO) was set up in 1984 within the United States Department of Defense to oversee the Strategic Defense Initiative.

Notice the date? 1989

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
That's what I am talking about, a 21st century missile defense program.

Yeah like I have been saying who cares of the desert people in Iran, figured out how to split the Atom, over 50 years later..

WE GOT LASERS

thanks op S&F

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

That weapon is intense, If I see that sucker pop up, im out of there (if I can make it)

-E-

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join