It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Montserrat explodes.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- A volcano on Montserrat shot ash some nine miles (15 kilometers) into the sky Thursday, one of its most dramatic events since a devastating 1997 eruption that drove away half the Caribbean island's population.
The partial collapse of the dome in the volcano's crater also unleashed flows of hot gas and rocks, triggering sirens for the evacuation of about 20 people from a nearby village.

Paul Cole, director of the Montserrat Volcano Observatory, said it appeared to be the most material ejected by the volcano in about four years. He estimated 10 percent to 15 percent of the hardened lava dome had collapsed.

"When we're looking at the lava dome now, there's a large scoop out of it that's missing," Cole said

www.washingtonpost.com...

www.montserratvolcanoobservatory.info...

The above link has some great photo's of the flows and a live cam link.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Thanks for the nice post. Volcanoes and volcanic activity are always interesting. Hadn't seen anything out there about this in my surfing and appreciate the head's up.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Has it begun...

The start of the end?

Im just going to live everyday as its my last!

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
there is already a thread about this..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by iforget

Yeah i only just caught the tail end of a report on French TF1 news, itr took a while to find much about untill i realised it was Montserrat.
There are plenty of vids on youtube aswell it seems.

And Wolf, i doubt it is the end. Just a volcano.
Still no reason not to enjoy yourself.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
there is already a thread about this..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I thought you were allowed to post a second topic if the first was in breaking news? either way good stuff, hope more info comes out about it, i could only find info on 2 sites earlier s&f

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wolf 
Has it begun...

The start of the end?

Im just going to live everyday as its my last!

You should live like it is your last day everyday, might not be the end of the world - but who knows when you will get hit by a bus? :p (always make sure you have clean underwear on just in case! ;p)

new topics

top topics

join