It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Sacked(fired) For Wearing Cross Loses Appeal

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by moocowman

Everything like this that happens in our society is another cancerous cell waiting to destroy us. This is a systemic mental illness comparable to psychopathy. A society where one group dictates the morals and behavior, of others acting within the law, to another.

Like religion has always done and like christianity has done for most of the last 2000 years. I agree it is a cancer which needs to be excised.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I don't believe moocowman is being honest. If you don't believe in God, then why are you fighting against him so hard?

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

You're basically saying that you'd force a christian to wear a hijab at your work, if you so insisted.

No, she can wear what the hell she likes but at work she wears what her employer asks of her or she can work for someone else, that simple.

Sorry to be short gotta get to bed.

But you said she'd be wearing your squirrel if she brings her monkey.

Cant have your holy books and eat them too you know.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by antideceit
I don't believe moocowman is being honest. If you don't believe in God, then why are you fighting against him so hard?

Although this remark is quite typical of the religious none the less its' as usual totally ridiculous and hardly worthy of a serious response.

To insinuate that I have in this thread I am somehow in a fight with an invisible man in the sky is ludicrous but please be my guest and cite where I have supposedly done so then we may have something to discuss.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha

Originally posted by moocowman
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

You're basically saying that you'd force a christian to wear a hijab at your work, if you so insisted.

No, she can wear what the hell she likes but at work she wears what her employer asks of her or she can work for someone else, that simple.

Sorry to be short gotta get to bed.

But you said she'd be wearing your squirrel if she brings her monkey.

Cant have your holy books and eat them too you know.

And ?

Are you deliberately obfuscating a very simple situation ?

Here we go try wrap your swede around this -

"Ahmed congrats' I decided your the best man/woman for the job start Monday collect your uniform at the gate"

"Gee thanks Mr Moo what kind of uniform must I wear ?"

"It's a head to to body suit Hamed nothing else to be worn, I will only see your eyes "

"But Mr Moo I must object, an invisible man in the sky says I must wear my magic underwear at all times"

"Not on my time Ahmed I pay you to wear what I say do what you like in your own time, if you don't choose to accept these conditions I don't pay you, simple as, ta ta".

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Wearing a cross causes no one any harm. This is about hate and control. It is a policy worthy of Mao.

What the bejeesus are you ranting about the potential of doing harm if the woman won is very real.

Id she were a surgeon she would have had the right to wear whatever contaminated bling she chose and potentially run the risk of killing someone she's operating on.

If she won the case and happen to work in a babyfood factory who is to be held responsible for the child choking on bits of god material ? Your god ?

You religious people need to grow up, the world does not revolve around you and your delusions anymore. Stamp your feet and throw your toys in the dirt as much as you like but you "will" be dragged kicking and screaming into the age of reason or you can use your highly evolved brain to come without a fuss.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

not gonna happen.
now i agree if the job requires no jewelry to be worn of any kind, due to sanitation policies and such, that' a different story. but just cause someone doesn't want to see two intersecting lines, that's like crazy wacko

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo

not gonna happen.
now i agree if the job requires no jewelry to be worn of any kind, due to sanitation policies and such, that' a different story. but just cause someone doesn't want to see two intersecting lines, that's like crazy wacko

It has everything to do with what the employer does and doesn't want to see and if the employer "The person that pays the wages" doesn't want to see jewelery then so be it.

If this is the type of blind defense given to this woman who "Lost" her case, then mark my words employers are watching. And any smart employer would think twice about taking on someone who hides behind a fish, crucifix or any other religious bling.

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

sure, the owner is the boss. we all know that. we know the boss makes the rules. but guess what, mr. moo? any boss that'd make a rule saying you can't wear your jewelry because he doesn't agree with it, is probably a tyrant anyway

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:04 PM
link   
i look at it this way:

life is a series of decisions, some of them are dionysus (freedom) and some are apollo (tyranny). depending on belief system, we have varying levels of each, just out of common sense, you soon discover that being too much of either one can be seriously dangerous or just plain bad. it's when we get down into the minutiae of what other people's beliefs are and how that manifests in their attire, that things become uncomfortable for everyone.

common sense?
yeah.
just cuz you don't agree with it?
that's not gonna fly

[edit on 13-2-2010 by undo]

posted on Feb, 13 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
one more post:

some native american indians have a peyote ritual as part of their religious practice.
even though it is against the law to use peyote, they were trying to practice this ritual on their own reservations. the law said no.

some religions believe in polygamy as part of their religious practice. the law said no.

some laws are just too intrusive. think of all the people out there having sex with women and leaving them pregnant with no husband or father for the child or way in which to support the child. it's okay to have sex with tons of people but not okay to have responsible sex (where you take responsibility for your procreations)

the planet is done gone loony.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZombieOctopus
It doesn't matter what the symbol means, it can be an ampersand on the chain, if your employer says no, then no.
Now THAT'S a religious symbol I could get behind!

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by JoshNorton

too much wiggle room in there. that path is the same one that lead to the atrocities of the past that people find so offensive, in the first place. if you refuse others the right to express themselves, inoffensively, (and jewelry, let's face it, is not offensive although you can make the claim that some jewelry is gaudy and might detract from the image you're trying to convey), you inevitably end up creating a system that can, at the drop of a dime, turn itself about and be used to attack YOU instead and NOW, it's got all the tools it needs to be totally insanely drunk with power and a karma list about a mile long ..........the USA was supposed to be an example of the "buck stops here" - the vicious cycle ends here. no more "Sins of the father" stuff.

but instead. we are heading right back there and what my grandpappy did or didn't do, is now my fault and what people 200 years ago is now my fault and so on. it's an insane control grid and if you feed it, it'll eat everyone.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo

sure, the owner is the boss. we all know that. we know the boss makes the rules. but guess what, mr. moo? any boss that'd make a rule saying you can't wear your jewelry because he doesn't agree with it, is probably a tyrant anyway

That's one hell of a cop out there Undo, it's just not good enough to shrug ones shoulders and say a well the boss is just a tyrant and still wrong.

You know full well that we're not debating whether the boss likes (agrees as you put it) with your jewelry or not, if the boss didn't like how you dress then you wouldn't get employed to begin with.

A police officer is given a uniform to wear, does the police officer have the right to wear his favorite beanie ? Of course not he/she wears the uniform provided by the boss or doesn't take the job, regardless of whether an invisible man in the sky insists that the officer wear it.

An employer does not have to give a reason for a dress code if you don't like it go work for someone else it is that simple.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   

you're reiterating the obvious. any time you work for an employer that has a uniform for employees, they expect you to wear it, but very very few expect your jewelry to reflect or not reflect their work place environment, unless, as i said before, it interfers with safety, is gaudy and/or interfers with the uniform in some other way. that's because interfering with something someone wears, as typically small as a piece of jewelry is, all because you don't like what it represents, is interfering with the free will expression of your fellow as if you were placed upon this earth for the sole purpose of telling him what to do with his/her jewelry. you must have better things to do with the little time alloted to this "experience" we call life.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

you're reiterating the obvious. any time you work for an employer that has a uniform for employees, they expect you to wear it, but very very few expect your jewelry to reflect or not reflect their work place environment, unless, as i said before, it interfers with safety, is gaudy and/or interfers with the uniform in some other way. that's because interfering with something someone wears, as typically small as a piece of jewelry is, all because you don't like what it represents, is interfering with the free will expression

Undo no one but no one has tried to dictate to the woman in question what the hell kind of jewelry she wares.

The woman got fired (and rightly as was borne out by the tribunal) for wearing her jewelery where it was visible contrary to her employment conditions.

If you worked for me Undo and my conditions of employment are to wear nothing but a pair of safety boots and mechanics coveralls that's what it will be like it or lump it. I certainly don't have to explain to you why I have this ruling, if you decide you want to wear your underwear above your coveralls I have the right to fire your nude arse for breach of your contractual obligations, the killer of your bra and thong is irrelevant.

posted on Feb, 14 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

far cry between jewelry and underwear lol

egads you really don't have to exaggerate. it's just a piece of jewelry! and although i don't necessarily condone going against an employer's wishes, and would certainly accomodate such a request were it stipulated from the outset, we both know the reason why someone would request such a thing and that's a slippppppppery slope you don't want to go down.

posted on Feb, 15 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Wearing a cross does not make you a christian anymore than wearing feathers makes you chicken. I wear a cross as an expression of my faith, my way of saying "Yes I'm a christian and no I don't care who knows" but this alone does not make me a christian

Ultimately, the bible does state that christians are not above the laws of the land (there's a story about taxes and whether they should be paid, jesus asks who's on the coin and that is who it should be paid to) similar thing here. If my boss asks me to remove my cross, I'd question it as I would like to know the reason (but then my boss would expect nothing less from me) but ultimately I'd have to as I am subject to my boss's rules whilst I am in the office.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join