It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time for Obama to go 'gangsta' on GOP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

It seems the days when a news network REPORTED the news are long gone. Now CNN is telling Obama what to do:

Time for Obama to go 'gangsta' on GOP

(CNN) -- Civil rights activist Fannie Lou Hamer made famous the phrase, "I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired."

For me, I'm sick and tired of Democrats having power and being unwilling to use it. I've always respected Republicans when they had power because they were willing to use it and maybe apologize later.

Today, President Obama walked into the White House briefing room and took some questions, and one of them revolved around recess appointments.

He has watched Republicans block many of his appointments, and now he says he made it clear to them that he will "consider" making some when the U.S. Senate goes into recess.

"One senator, as you all are aware, had put a hold on every single nominee that we had put forward due to a dispute over a couple of earmarks in his state," President Obama said.

"In our meeting, I asked the congressional leadership to put a stop to these holds in which nominees for critical jobs are denied a vote for months. Surely we can set aside partisanship and do what's traditionally been done to confirm these nominations.

If the Senate does not act -- and I made this very clear -- if the Senate does not act to confirm these nominees, I will consider making several recess appointments during the upcoming recess, because we can't afford to allow politics to stand in the way of a well-functioning government."

This is where the president needs to show his toughness and just do it. Forget the threats. The actions of Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Alabama, and other Republican obstructionists will continue if President Obama allows them to run roughshod over him. When you're the top dog, you do what you have to do to govern. Allowing Republican senators to continue to deny your appointments is nonsense.

Just when Obama is calling for bipartisanship, CNN decides to again use the "nuclear option" by encouraging Obama to use executive orders when Congress goes into recess, to BYPASS the Constitutional process which requires CONGRESS to ADVISE and CONSENT".

CNN, why don't you just come out and tell OBAMA to declare a dictatorship? It's just about what you ARE suggesting.

Anyone that STILL believes that the TV news networks just report the news, needs a big reality check.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

To be fair, Bush Sr., Reagan, Clinton, Bush Jr have all done recess appointments.

That being said, what is unConstitutional is unConstitutional.

We are on the way down the drain, so we might just as well throw the baby (constitution) out with the bathwater (country). Pun intended.

[edit on 2/11/2010 by endisnighe]

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

I can't blame them for wanting to dictate policy, after all, they were a huge campaigning tool for him so they apparently feel they should have a say in the decision process.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

To be fair, Bush Sr., Reagan, Clinton, Bush Jr have all done recess appointments.

Yes, they have, and as you said, they were also wrong. It seems like the Constitution has become nothing more than a nuisance for politicians, who spend all their time figuring out how to get around it.
As your avatar says, it's time to throw them all out, and find some honest Americans that can do justice to what this country is SUPPOSED to stand for.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
If he goes "gansta" wont Al and Tipper just come running to ban him?

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
This is just politics as usual.

You know, what he says we are tired. At least he acknowledges that we are tired of the game. He is still going to do the same old same old, but he understands we don't like it.

Hope= I hope he is only a one term President.

Change= 5 minutes into his speeches, I can't change the channel fast enough.

I actually don't care that past Presidents have done this, I really don't. Obama promised to change the way DC is ran. That is the only reason he was elected, it sure wasn't because of his stellar expireance. Nothing he promised to change has changed and in some instances they have gotten worse.

But he gets on television everyday like he is still campaining saying how he is going to do this and he is going to do that. For a full year he has said the same tired old thing and he has done jack #.

And now this. You liberals keep spouting that past Presidents did this. Yet you voted for him for change. Is the same crap differant day acceptable to you?

Well how do you like the change you voted for? May it be short lived.

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Well, it only took 5 posts to turn this from a WTF? CNN thread into an Obama bashing thread.

CNN is insane, so is FOX NEWS, MSNBC, etc.

Berserker01

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Don't like it?

Don't read it.

If you think your little thumbs down icon bothers me one little tiny bit, think again.

Your opinion is about as meaningful to me as a piece of toilet paper I used to wipe my butt with (not a whole lot in simpler words).

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Berserker01
reply to post by Aggie Man

Don't like it?

Don't read it.

If you think your little thumbs down icon bothers me one little tiny bit, think again.

Your opinion is about as meaningful to me as a piece of toilet paper I used to wipe my butt with (not a whole lot in simpler words).

HAHA Nice visual Berserker01...

His opinion is
for you. You wipe your butt with TP = his opinion

Counter statements from adolescents can be so enlightening and often TMI how you wipe your butt.

I found reference to this article on BigGovernment.

I'd never go to CNN.com except to verify the validity.

Good catch ProfOP

It's like, totally, time to go Valley Girl on these gansta mofo's.

Could make a good popcorn movie in the end.

[edit on 2·17·10 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   

It is VERY Constitutional to use Recess Appointments when there are spots that are vacant. LOOK IT UP!

Article 2 Section 2:

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

Sorry man, but it is quite constitutional. He should have done it a while back. Instead, he seems to have been playing the nice guy and seeing if it would sort itself out. But Shelby just wants his pork.

Shelby is holding out for a bribe and wont let these appointments get the constitutional vote they deserve until he gets that bribe.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Great thread and I agree. When you see the news promoting a administration and the facts don't matter and the law of land does not matter. We have some serious problems and why else would they be so bold unless they know something we don't. And I think I know what that something is.

And to the left just remember the 8 years before this guy as your freedoms and jobs were stripped away. They are on the same side and the best way for them to win is to divide us.

We all need to hold to the inner truth that guides us all. If you were against war 5 years ago why are you now for it? And if the patriot act seemed evil would you be for something like that now if it was proposed. The worst thing in life is to be a paper as*. And that holds true for both sides.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
My favorite recess appointment of all time was John Bolton appointment as Ambassador to the United Nations. Now that was "gangsta"!!!

Obama is as much of a "gangsta" as Steven Urkel!

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Damn!

I was sure that the appointments were UN. Well, let me look back and see if the positions existed when the law was written.

Now if the appointments WERE NOT EVEN there, that would mean that they would not be Constitutional?

You cannot just makeup a new position like the HEAD of GLOBAL WARMING taxation head and call it Constitutional?

posted on Feb, 20 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

It does say ALL appointments, not just ones that were devised when the constitution was written.

new topics

top topics

join