It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Texas congressman Charlie Wilson dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Former Texas congressman Charlie Wilson dies

content.usatoday.com

From his post on the House Defense Appropriations Subcommittee, Wilson helped finance the United States' covert war in the 1980s against the former Soviet Union in Afghanistan. A book about the congressman's efforts, Charlie Wilson's War, was made into a 2007 movie starring Academy Award winners Tom Hanks as Wilson and Julia Roberts as Joanne Herring, the Houston socialite who helped draw attention to the issue.

As the book and movie chronicled, Wilson's top cause for years was U.S. support for the Mujahedeen rebels in Afghanistan -- people he called the "Muj." Wilson once said of Afg
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

From his post on the House Defense Appropriations Subcommittee, Wilson helped finance the United States' covert war in the 1980s against the former Soviet Union in Afghanistan. A book about the congressman's efforts, Charlie Wilson's War, was made into a 2007 movie starring Academy Award winners Tom Hanks as Wilson and Julia Roberts as Joanne Herring, the Houston socialite who helped draw attention to the issue. As the book and movie chronicled, Wilson's top cause for years was U.S. support for the Mujahedeen rebels in Afghanistan -- people he called the "Muj." Wilson once said of Afghanistan at the time: "It's the only place in the world where we are killing Russians."

Charlie Wilson was the guy who helped finance the Afghanistan Mujahedeen through congressional "black appropriations" in the 1980's. The Mujahedeen branched off to form what is now thew Taliban and Al Qaeda after the Russians pulled out of Afghanistan.

Wilson was named to the House Appropriations Committee in 1980 and was able to fund billions of dollars to the Mujahedeen. The U.S. government denies it to this day that the CIA helped train the resistance force.

Charlie Wilson Wiki

Allegations of CIA assistance to Osama Bin Laden

Charlie Wilson Dead at 76.

content.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 10-2-2010 by timewalker]

[edit on 10-2-2010 by timewalker]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Already posted, bout 5 mins before you did

www.abovetopsecret.com...

~Keeper

[edit on 2/10/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Doh......Was busy typing. Does not look like anyone cares anyway.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by timewalker

Doh......Was busy typing. Does not look like anyone cares anyway.

I saw this story a couple hours ago and started to make a thread, but then I realized the same...and decided not to waste effort. NOW, once someone develops a conspiracy revolving around his death...well, then folks will be on that thread like white on rice.

posted on Feb, 10 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Well, to timewalker, and tothetenthpower, I actually care that Charlie Wilson died.

Operation Cyclone was a pivotal point during the Cold War.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Operation Cyclone

Operation Cyclone was the code name for the United States Central Intelligence Agency program to arm the Afghan mujahideen during the Soviet war in Afghanistan, 1979 to 1989.

Operation Cyclone was one of the longest and most expensive covert CIA operations ever undertaken; funding began with $20–30 million per year in 1980 and rose to $630 million per year in 1987.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f75932d4680a.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/df5dc657613c.jpg[/atsimg]

Both of the books above document a lot of the information about Operation Cyclone.

To me that one operation, during the Cold War, was not only pivotal in our defeat of the Russian's, but was both directly and indirectly responsible because of the covert means of funding the entire operation through cut-outs and Soviet weapons to the Mujahideen, that is one of the primary reason why the attacks of September 11th happened.

While I did not necessarily agree with Charlie Wilson and the covert funding, because of the nature of the Afghanistan conflict, which is something still happening to this day, I have to say Wilson was an unsung hero of the Cold War.

Truth and Lies of 9/11 : Mike Ruppert, C.I.A. Drug Running, and Your Government

posted on Feb, 11 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

Originally posted by timewalker

NOW, once someone develops a conspiracy revolving around his death...well, then folks will be on that thread like white on rice.

You've got to be kidding. That movie was a classic example of disinformation. The only reason the Russians were in Afghanistan was to stop the flow of terrorists the CIA was brewing from Pakistan.The object was to unsettle Russian satelite countries in the middle east.People don't even stop to wonder why Russia would be in Afghanistan.The CIA has been a lot busier than people give them credit for. Charlie Wilson was their tool.

top topics

join